Mod(ge) Podge: A consolidated thread for all IEM modifications
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

IEMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
Over the years, our many creative and talented head-fi members have developed numerous useful, and sometimes crucial modifications for IEMs, to improve the sound, the fit, the usability, or even the looks. Unfortunately, finding those posts initially, and remembering where they are located for future reference, has been very tedious, at least IMO.

This is to serve as a consolidated thread to either post your modification ideas, instructions, and pictures, or to post links to modifications posted in other threads. In order to help create this database of sorts, I think it’s reasonable to create links to helpful posts made by other members (please correct me if I’m wrong). I hope this will end up being a useful thread.

379941BD-8FCF-4634-8613-E4EBC1C33725.jpeg
1B683A53-F6C8-4E7C-9F4B-23C8695185E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 29
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 29
Reserved

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 29
Jan 23, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 29
Need to convert @RikudouGoku
Stop messing with EQ and come in here
Interesting thread for sure. But I prefer EQ over doing something on the iem itself that could potentially be non-reversible, also much easier to compare stock with EQ. Last time I modded something, which was the blon 03 mesh mod. I killed the stock filter lol.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 29
Need to convert @RikudouGoku
Stop messing with EQ and come in here
I avail myself of most of the possible options (cables, tips, dampening filters), including PEQ; which I use with the afore mentioned options, for fine tuning. The one option that my pockets (literally) can't handle are DAPs; they're bulging enough, with: wallet, keys and Samsung Note 20 :worried:

@IEMusic , I think the FiiO FD5 is going to hold me for a while. But if I get the inspiration to mod something, I'll remember to post.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 29
The micropore mod is a very useful tool to tame the upper mids region, which can be boosted in a lot of CHIFI budget sets. Basically, put a 3M brand Micropore tape over the centre of the nozzle mesh to cover about 90% of the nozzle. Don't cover entire mesh if not it will sound muffled! This technique was courtesy of KopiOKaya from Audioreviews.org, learnt it from him.

For example, it works beautifully on the TRN VX:

11244014.jpg

TRN VX graph, courtesy of KopiOKaya from Audioreviews (IEC711 compliant coupler). 8 kHZ area is probably a resonance peak.

So the upper mids and lower treble are reduced by a few dB as per this graph and makes the sound much better and balanced for me personally. It is reversible too, so no biggie if you don't like this mod. I also use it for the BLON BL-05 (non S) which is infamous for having shoutiness at the upper mids.

I know some other audiophiles on this forum do a bass vent mod to cover the vent to boost bass eg for sets like the Tin T2 (the original one, no the Pro or Plus version). I've tried it, it does increase bass quantity, but unfortunately, not the quality. So bass is a bit boomy and bloated. But what worries me more is that it introduces driver flex sometimes, so I'm not sure if this bass vent mod will spoil the driver, or even our hearing (since sound is blocked from escaping, will it backflow into the tympanic membrane of the ear?)

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 29
Oooohh very interesting thread! Here's my mod on the Senfees KP580.

1.) Remove metal grill and cheap out with using earbud foam to act as a filter to lessen and smoothen the upper mids/lower treble.
* Go double layer/foam

*Updated*
The KP580 is very, very sensitive to mods (in other words, reactive) and tip changes as well. Don't know about cables. It's a fun IEM to play with. With these mods in place, you go from strong V-shape with elevation in mid-bass and upper mids to a more tolerable V but still fairly elevated upper midrange. In stock, vocals/mids reach shouty territory, even sounding grainy at times. But with the foam filter, it lessens and smoothens it a touch while still having wonderful placing in the presentation (still forward).

**That red/grey piece covering the connection is from the stem of an unused eartip - used to prevent spinning of MMCX connection.

142293572_114163823922469_7577145257343059707_n.jpg

139400656_116672266983265_3596322184096931578_n.jpg

***I had a previous mod using micropore tape to lessen the upper mids, but it was very hard to control the changes. With foam, it is more consistent. This one also sounds better.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back