Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Nov 2, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #406 of 2,985
Awesome write up! haha definitely makes it hard now. Was set on getting Caldera but now this seems quite tempting too lol. Having not heard either one definitely makes it harder to pick :sweat_smile:

They are very different. I have a dedicated comaprison between these two headphones way toward the end of the review. If your want more dynamic and aggressive presentation, the Caldera is your choice, if you want a more smooth and relaxed presentation then the Tungsten is better for you. The caldera is a bit more physical, while the is a bit more smooth. Both have great technicalities but with different strengths which I outline there. For me, they are very complementary given their different characters.

Worth the wait! Thank you!

My pleasure. Thank you 🙏😊

I just bought a double-sided pair of Mimic Audio (I like the color) based on the strength of @goldwerger 's review. I guess the wait time is 10 weeks, but I really look forward to trying these out!

Congrats! And I’m really glad this was helpful. Hope they give you as much joy as they give me..

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #407 of 2,985
If your want more dynamic and aggressive presentation, the Caldera is your choice,
Let's stick with more dynamic, or perhaps more intense. 'Aggressive' has a negative overtone to some people, and that the Caldera is not. :wink:

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #408 of 2,985
Let's stick with more dynamic, or perhaps more intense. 'Aggressive' has a negative overtone to some people, and that the Caldera is not. :wink:

It’s a good comment

On its own a find the Caldera very easy to listen to for hours - my description was in the context for drawing contrasts in comparison and not in absolutes

Thanks for the call out

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #409 of 2,985
Everyone - Ryan confirmed the prices are indeed still $1,499 and $1,999 for the Single-Sided and Double-Sided magnet versions, respectively

(whatever may have been observed temporarily on their website earlier today was just him updating his website and was an error)

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #410 of 2,985
Everyone - Ryan confirmed the prices are indeed still $1,499 and $1,999 for the Single-Sided and Double-Sided magnet versions, respectively

(whatever may have been observed temporarily on their website earlier today was just him updating his website and was an error)

Thanks for getting clarification. Less than 24 hours to make a decision on the SS or DS. I'm doomed!

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #411 of 2,985
Nov 2, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #412 of 2,985

Right on. Thanks for getting confirmation.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #413 of 2,985
I have a Lyr3, so I can test when I finally receive MY Tungsten...
(likely after CanJam Dallas)
Lyr3 is not identical to Lyr+ so I am not sure how valid this would be anyhow.
I’d love to hear your thoughts! I actually read where ppl had good experiences on a Jotunheim 2 so I feel maybe Lyr3 and Lyr+ would do just fine. If you could confirm, I’d appreciate it. Looking at both versions but think the SS would be more suitable for me due to lower average impedance. Which version did you buy?

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #414 of 2,985
Nov 2, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #416 of 2,985
What an excellent in-depth review by @goldwerger, a true masterpiece and as such, worthy of the headphone! Thank you!

One aspect where my experience differs compared to the review: I tried Caldera Hybrid and Caldera Ultra Perforated pads and preferred Hybrids. Ultra Perforated had noticeably less bass impact, which became apparent when listening tracks like Jossie Telch - Borders (Eitan Reiter Remix). For me personally, Hybrid pads contribute substantially to the superb all-arounder nature of the headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #417 of 2,985
I’d love to hear your thoughts! I actually read where ppl had good experiences on a Jotunheim 2 so I feel maybe Lyr3 and Lyr+ would do just fine. If you could confirm, I’d appreciate it. Looking at both versions but think the SS would be more suitable for me due to lower average impedance. Which version did you buy?
I heard the SS on a Jot 2 and it sounded great. Felt there was plenty of headroom left, too. This was in high gain via the XLR out. It was @gc335's setup.

1698964274726.png

According to Schiit, the Lyr+ will push 7.2 Vrms into 150 ohms. The Lyr 3 is rated at 5 Vrms. The Jot 2 outputs 9.6 Vrms via XLR out into the same impedance. So all are well below the ~20 Vrms that @goldwerger found to be the magic number. But, I really did feel the Jot 2 had no trouble driving the SS.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #418 of 2,985
I heard the SS on a Jot 2 and it sounded great. Felt there was plenty of headroom left, too. This was in high gain via the XLR out. It was @gc335's setup.

1698964274726.png

According to Schiit, the Lyr+ will push 7.2 Vrms into 150 ohms. The Lyr 3 is rated at 5 Vrms. The Jot 2 outputs 9.6 Vrms via XLR out into the same impedance. So all are well below the ~20 Vrms that @goldwerger found to be the magic number. But, I really did feel the Jot 2 had no trouble driving the SS.
I tried the SS with the Lyr+ and it’s not enough juice for them.

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #420 of 2,985
I tried the SS with the Lyr+ and it’s not enough juice for them.
Does your Asgard 2 have enough? I didn't try that pairing unfortunately. Nor did I try them with my Asgard 3.

I'm like 99% sold on buying a Violectric V222 to pair with Tungsten SS but if I could get by with my Asgard 3 for a bit that wouldn't be a bad thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back