Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #1,771 of 3,024
I have the DS and HE1000 stealth and have been wanting to do a comparison. Let me see if I can get some time in this weekend
THIS is the comparison we need!

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #1,772 of 3,024
Sorry If It's been asked but if someone could give me a comparison between the Modhouse DS/SS and the He1000 Stealth I will be really greatfull.
Spent a couple hours with my DS (received about a week ago) and HE1000 Stealth. Here are some observations:

Big picture
The primary differences between the two are (1) treble/airiness (a standout characteristic of the HE1000 Stealth) and (2) body/weight/texture (a standout characteristic of the DS). The HE1000 Stealth are noticeably lighter, airier, and nimble (like a lightweight boxer - plenty of strength and impact, just a little lighter on their feet). The DS, relatively speaking, have a bit more heft, weight to the notes, and the treble is a bit smoother (like a middleweight boxer - a bit more solid, and planted, but not a heavyweight).

The details
As I listened closer, a few more nuanced differences became apparent (these are smaller differences relative to the big picture things I mentioned):
  • Imaging - DS is noticeably stronger. You hear it especially in busy passages -- the DS is more coherent and you can pick out individual instruments more clearly. Relatively speaking, on the HE1000, sounds are more mashed together.
  • Transparency - DS has the edge here -- everything is clearer and more detailed -- not worlds different, but noticeable. It's like looking out windows that seem pretty clear (HE1000), but then you wash the outside and realize there was some grime and haze that's been removed and now things are clearer (DS).
  • Treble - This one is interesting. HE1000 definitely has more sparkle, air, and incisiveness. It feels like the music floats over your head and gives a sense of more stage. By comparison, the DS treble is more "neutral", smooth, and diffuse. The HE1000 is like being in an empty room with a concrete floor, shattering a glass and hearing every detail and shard of glass hit the ground with extreme detail. The DS is like being in that same room with the same floor but with curtains, furniture, etc -- you still hear the detail (transparency) but it's smoothed over a little.
  • Mids - The DS's texture and body I mentioned earlier comes out here. Vocals are more true to life and forward on DS (with better timbre) and feel substantial. You also notice the body in other ways like percussion - a snare drum rimshot on HE1000 sounds like "chink" and on the DS it sounds more realistic like a "chunk". Overall, DS mids are neutral relative to other headphones (e.g., my Atrium Open have noticeably more mid-bass and warmth than the DS)
  • Bass - DS has a touch more sub-bass and is more controlled. Not worlds of difference here.
  • Soundstage - Pretty close. You just get a bit more airiness and height from the HE1000 from the treble.
Overall
To me, the DS is the better headphone and you can hear what an extra $600 gets you (and if the SS -- which I have not heard -- is as close to the DS as others have mentioned, an extra $100 for those would be a no brainer to me over the HE1000). That said, if the treble/airiness is your favorite part of the HE1000, you might not find the DS better (or maybe you'd want both :)).

Happy to answer any questions if you're interested in something I didn't cover!

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #1,773 of 3,024
Spent a couple hours with my DS (received about a week ago) and HE1000 Stealth. Here are some observations:

Big picture
The primary differences between the two are (1) treble/airiness (a standout characteristic of the HE1000 Stealth) and (2) body/weight/texture (a standout characteristic of the DS). The HE1000 Stealth are noticeably lighter, airier, and nimble (like a lightweight boxer - plenty of strength and impact, just a little lighter on their feet). The DS, relatively speaking, have a bit more heft, weight to the notes, and the treble is a bit smoother (like a middleweight boxer - a bit more solid, and planted, but not a heavyweight).

The details
As I listened closer, a few more nuanced differences became apparent (these are smaller differences relative to the big picture things I mentioned):
  • Imaging - DS is noticeably stronger. You hear it especially in busy passages -- the DS is more coherent and you can pick out individual instruments more clearly. Relatively speaking, on the HE1000, sounds are more mashed together.
  • Transparency - DS has the edge here -- everything is clearer and more detailed -- not worlds different, but noticeable. It's like looking out windows that seem pretty clear (HE1000), but then you wash the outside and realize there was some grime and haze that's been removed and now things are clearer (DS).
  • Treble - This one is interesting. HE1000 definitely has more sparkle, air, and incisiveness. It feels like the music floats over your head and gives a sense of more stage. By comparison, the DS treble is more "neutral", smooth, and diffuse. The HE1000 is like being in an empty room with a concrete floor, shattering a glass and hearing every detail and shard of glass hit the ground with extreme detail. The DS is like being in that same room with the same floor but with curtains, furniture, etc -- you still hear the detail (transparency) but it's smoothed over a little.
  • Mids - The DS's texture and body I mentioned earlier comes out here. Vocals are more true to life and forward on DS (with better timbre) and feel substantial. You also notice the body in other ways like percussion - a snare drum rimshot on HE1000 sounds like "chink" and on the DS it sounds more realistic like a "chunk". Overall, DS mids are neutral relative to other headphones (e.g., my Atrium Open have noticeably more mid-bass and warmth than the DS)
  • Bass - DS has a touch more sub-bass and is more controlled. Not worlds of difference here.
  • Soundstage - Pretty close. You just get a bit more airiness and height from the HE1000 from the treble.
Overall
To me, the DS is the better headphone and you can hear what an extra $600 gets you (and if the SS -- which I have not heard -- is as close to the DS as others have mentioned, an extra $100 for those would be a no brainer to me over the HE1000). That said, if the treble/airiness is your favorite part of the HE1000, you might not find the DS better (or maybe you'd want both :)).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #1,774 of 3,024

Big picture

Great impressions - thanks for posting these. They're really evocative. I've heard both the HE1k v2, which I used to own, and the SS Tungsten at CAF, briefly, and your take sounds spot on. I could imagine clearly what you're describing!

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #1,775 of 3,024

Big picture

The details
Overall

This is a great comparison. This is mostly true for Susvara vs Tungsten DS with Caldera Ultra perforated pads. Tungsten tends to have better timbre but the Susvara wins on soundstage being a bit bigger. Tungsten imaging gives a bit more space around instruments compared to Susvara but Susvara treble is a bit more open and airy.
Sometimes Susvara overall presentation feels cohesive compared to Tungsten’s presentation; but the Tungsten presentation is more dense, weighty.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #1,776 of 3,024

Big picture

The details
Overall

Thanks for such a great comparison! I've owned the HE1000v2 in the past. The treble energy was too much for me. I've been using the Atrium open for close to a year now and LOVE them for the warm and natural sound. You mentioned the Atriums in your write up. I've been trying to think of another can to buy this isn't too close to the atrium but also not one that is too analytical and too hot in the treble. Would you say the Modhouse is a good complimentary headphone to own along side the Atrium? Though it seems it would be hard to buy one anytime soon.

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #1,777 of 3,024

Big picture

The details
Overall

Fantastic writeup. Thanks and well done!

This is a great comparison. This is mostly true for Susvara vs Tungsten DS with Caldera Ultra perforated pads. Tungsten tends to have better timbre but the Susvara wins on soundstage being a bit bigger. Tungsten imaging gives a bit more space around instruments compared to Susvara but Susvara treble is a bit more open and airy.
Sometimes Susvara overall presentation feels cohesive compared to Tungsten’s presentation; but the Tungsten presentation is more dense, weighty.

The one difference is that the Susvara edges on resolution. But the overall DNA carries over for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #1,778 of 3,024
Thanks for such a great comparison! I've owned the HE1000v2 in the past. The treble energy was too much for me. I've been using the Atrium open for close to a year now and LOVE them for the warm and natural sound. You mentioned the Atriums in your write up. I've been trying to think of another can to buy this isn't too close to the atrium but also not one that is too analytical and too hot in the treble. Would you say the Modhouse is a good complimentary headphone to own along side the Atrium? Though it seems it would be hard to buy one anytime soon.

Thanks!
Yes, I find them commentary with different enough sound that depending on my mood and what I’m listening to, I’ll often feel like one or the other. The DS is, of course, a planar too so you get those differences as well (vs Atrium’s dynamic driver)

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #1,779 of 3,024

Big picture

The details
Overall

Great write up. And truth be told kind of what I expected so I guess I've got a pretty good idea of what I'll be in store for.

As good as the DS Tungsten are, if they were mass manufactured currently they'd retail for $2999 minimum. So, for a thousand bucks+ we get to play the lottery and waiting game. Is what it is.

All I can say is Cheers to Ryan and my congratulations on making one of the best headphones of all time. To do it as a single guy and his partner- just wow. Astonishing.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #1,780 of 3,024
Thats incredible.
It's like instead of a baby back rib bone with some delicious bites of meat on it the Tungsten instead is a big ole cut of prime rib hanging off.

Some real meat on dem bones.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #1,781 of 3,024

Big picture

The details
Overall

Thank you man really!! You've scratch the itch i had on the Tungsten from your great write up it seems that If the HEK SE and the ZMF VERITE had a child It would be the DS, i'm curios about the spaciatial presentation are the voice dead centre and things likes that? In my case i feel that it would be a side grade because i love the airiness and soundstage and the sounds that Is mashed (It gives me more Natural coherency) but detailed so you can pick up the instruments of the Stealth. But when i'll have the chance to try them on the used market i'll do It for sure, but with no rush 😁.
PS if you could make a comparison between them on The Audience from Coheed and Cambria the first 2 minutes and half It would be awesome! It's One of my test track.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #1,782 of 3,024
Feb 20, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #1,783 of 3,024
Got my Tungsten DS. Only had 30-40 minutes of listening before I had to head to work but they sounded great on my Wa23 tube amp.
IMG_8937.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #1,784 of 3,024
Got my Tungsten DS. Only had 30-40 minutes of listening before I had to head to work but they sounded great on my Wa23 tube amp.
IMG_8937.jpeg
Oh, MAN, what a fabulous pairing. Try with the Oor, too, when you get a chance.
Great gear, Mate. What DAC are you using(its not in your sig) ?

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #1,785 of 3,024
Oh, MAN, what a fabulous pairing. Try with the Oor, too, when you get a chance.
Great gear, Mate. What DAC are you using(its not in your sig) ?
Haha wish I had my Oor for a little longer. Sold the Oor to a friend over the weekend. Love the amp but it paid for the hotel for Canjam NYC. Wa23 is the only Amp I have on hand right now other than the A90d. Should get my 465 in March or later. HM1 I think I should get back in July/August.
Right now the dac I use is the Ferrum Wandla. Very good dac. Love its size. It sounds quite natural despite being an ESS dac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back