Modding the Sennheiser HD428S
Mar 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

WayTooCrazy

Headphoneus Supremus
I just picked up a pair of refurbished Sennheiser HD428S headphones. I think they sound pretty good for the price... with the exception of the ridiculously thin cable and occasional microphonics... it's a good purchase for a headphone. I want to disassemble these completely and re-wire everything out to a removable cable (and even add a microphone attachment for future gaming purposes. My only problem, I can't get these darn things apart... even after pulling the ear pads. If anyone has information on how to do this... it would be greatly appreciated.
9e10a455.jpg

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 23
The HD201s have a similar design. You can pull the pads of the housing. Then there are probably some screws that you can take out.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 23
Hehe, no problem.
wink.gif
While you're at it you could try different damping material like cotton, plastic... You name it.

Oh, also don't forget to take pics and post them in the DIY cables thread!

Happy listening!
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, no problem.
wink.gif
While you're at it you could try different damping material like cotton, plastic... You name it.

Oh, also don't forget to take pics and post them in the DIY cables thread!

Happy listening!
beerchug.gif

Would the damping material kill some of the bass? It can almost get nauseating with the amount of bass these headphones make (depending on song).

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 23
Not really the amount of bass but more the reverb if you decide to damp the back. If you want less bass one of the things to do is use other pads (like velours).

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 23
Well, they're done... and it wasn't the easiest thing I've tried. I tried to keep it single entry, but that wasn't happening with 24AWG wiring (I used Mogami 2534 since I had it lying around). So, I had to go dual entry.
d99dcb1a.jpg
da205bf4.jpg

I ended up stripping the wiring from the Mogami cable and then braiding.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 23
Did the HD428 improve for you regarding sound?

Finally someone who get's that the bass on the HD428 is quite good.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did the HD428 improve for you regarding sound?

Finally someone who get's that the bass on the HD428 is quite good.

Yes, it wasn't a HUGE difference, but they seem to clean up a bit in all directions as well as the bass isn't as sloppy as it was when I first got them. All in all, I say it was worthwhile to do the re-cable. I attempted to do it as a single entry, but the wiring used wouldn't fit through the headband without A LOT of finessing. So, dual entry was in order.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 23
I don't find the bass on my standard HD428 sloppy. It's burned in.

Could you explain what about the bass was sloppy for you?

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find the bass on my standard HD428 sloppy. It's burned in.

Could you explain what about the bass was sloppy for you?

It most likely was the music I was listening to, but I was listening to some David Guetta stuff, and the bass was definitely there and hard hitting... but seemed overly done and didn't keep up. I've listened to the same tracks on my Turtle Beach HPX (which has close to the same amount of bass) but seemed to keep pace with the song better. My AKG K240s (that I sold) after a Canare cable upgrade seemed to keep pace with the bass the best out of my phones, but didn't have much impact.

Unfortunately, I didn't listen to some of my Metal tunes with this headphone prior to the re-cable, as I would have liked to see if there was a difference on some tracks where Metallica (or similar) use the double bass drums and double tap each one for a really quick bass that sometimes gets muddled together (as they did on my father-in-laws Bose QC2 headphones).

Though, in the end... I like these headphones, and for the price...they're very difficult to beat. They even sound fairly nice for Jazz too. These are my new Rock/Metal headphones (as they don't require a GREAT headphone to represent that genre). I will keep searching for my perfect closed headphone, and I think a Woodied Denon would possibly be it, but I can't find a place to audition in my area.

I actually paid $20 for these off of Amazon as Refurbished models. I think I just may grab another pair before they're all gone. I had purchased them from BestBuy originally for $74, but returned them (unopened) when I saw on Amazon the refurbished one. Sounds good for a $74 phone (even if the cable is pathetic), sounds really nice for a $55 phone.... Sound incredible for a $20 phone.

If it makes ANY difference, I was listening to FLACs off the PC through a uDac.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 23
I just realized that I only posted the before and after pics of the re-cable for the HD428S... I think it's time I posted all the pictures of the build up...

Well, I opened the package and looked at that dinky cable and said "What, what were they thinking!?" I put them on my head... played a few tracks of differing styles of music and 'lo and behold', they weren't bad at all.
de6a691a.jpg

Still couldn't get over the cable tho. So, I decided to rip them apart and give them a proper cable. I chose Mogami W2534 (I did buy 50ft of this stuff) as my cable. I first pulled off the pads and looked for the screws retaining the drivers to the cups themselves (thanks for the info apatN).
9e10a455.jpg

After pulling the drivers out, I looked behind... these things are in a sealed enclosure... cool I thought, till I realized that since they were buried in their.. I have to use an Exacto blade to cut the glue and slowly pry apart their custom enclosures to get to the drivers themselves.
723c7bff.jpg

baf483d4.jpg

After getting them apart, I removed the soldered wires and drilled out the opening to allow the Mogami to pass through. Got everything wired and glued down all the openings with Hot Glue (including the newly drilled opening for the larger wire). I trimmed off the strain relief from the previous cable and drilled an opening barely large enough to fit the Mogami cable (now sheathed in 1/8" nylon) into both cups. Here are the finished products. You can read above on the sonic changes that were affected. These are nice headphones, I just realize the Supra-Aural thing is not for me. My ears are too sensitive I guess.
da205bf4.jpg

d99dcb1a.jpg

May 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #15 of 23
For the music you listen to... I think you'd like one of my new headphones... a Modded Grado SR80i.  Very nice, tight bass (not Gobs of it though), excellent highs and Mids (the Highs are slightly rolled off using a felt mod).  Overall... my fav headphone at the moment.  Saving up for a pair of AKG K701/702.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back