moderate priced racks
Mar 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lenni

Headphoneus Supremus
I looking for an inexpensive rack for an amp & CDP in the $50 range. I'm not looking for anything fancy. simple rack, IKEA stile, is good. the ones I found on Google were too expensive. also the dealer needs to ship to Europe. many thanks for any links

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 9
I would head to Ikea as you suggest. There is loads of choice and for that budget I am sure you would end up with something more solid that the cheapest of plastic/glass and metal racks you can get. Solid means less vibration and that is what you want.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Look at the Ikea Expedit. The basic unit would fit your stuff and have room below. I got one for LP storage. They are right at $50.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 9
thanks for the suggestions. the DIY is a good option, I like it, and fact you make it yourself I guess is an added bonus. but finding all the materials & accessories (and time!) may prove a lengthy project in my case. I'll go visit the local ikea store to see what's on offer, but from looking at the website the Shelving units may not be suitable - the amp exceed the max. load/shelf and may not be wide enough to accommodate the unit.
I searched audioasylum and came across this website. I'm not crazy about the design of the rack, but it's a dedicate audio rack. I like this too Salamander

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 9
For only $1500.00, I got this great deal on three 2'x4's and six breeze blocks, all of which had been treated with magic anti-resonant black spray paint. My Wadia iPhone LOD has never sounded so expensive!

Seriously though, I ended up getting one of these big-ass Gorilla Racks from Sears: it is reasonably sturdily constructed (resonance can be easily tweaked), not abominable-looking, and provides gobs of room and breathing space, so that nothing needs to be stacked. The heavier Gorilla Rack looks even more sturdy and promising as a basis for tweaking, but I don't think you can go far wrong with the former for $75.00 plus tax.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Home depot and walmart might have nice metal wire shelves that would be great as racks.

I found a place that has occasional discounts though, but right now they only have one rack on sale (usually they have ~3-4 on sale). $300 rack for $99 at the moment and possibly free shipping, or maybe the person processing my order made a very big mistake giving me free shipping which they said they do for $100+ orders but not discounted items.

Special Offers

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 9
I built a Flexy Rack for my audio gear. Common DIY rack. You can build it just for your system, and change it as you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back