Modular Cables Impressions
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 18
Some hear differences in cables others do not, for me each to his or her own. Here we stick to modular cable impressions, if someone hears a difference that is fine as well, but the aim here is not the sonic properties of cables, but the modular cables on the market.

Let's just keep it respectful.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 18
Modular Cable Impressions and Comparison

Effect Audio Cleopatra II

DD Hifi BC120C (Sky Pro Air series)

Dunu DUW02 Original

Hart Audio IEM cable

Kinera Ace

TRN 8 core cable

20221102_104831.jpg

Intro
I am not going to go into the question of whether cables have sonic properties, suffice to say, my view is that I do not hear any difference between cables with one exception, which is explained below. Some might hear a difference, I cannot and do not argue with their view. My statements in the past was, “If, one day, I hear a difference (in more than one cable) I will say so”. I can now report that I hear a difference with one cable. Despite my efforts to try to determine if I could hear the difference on other cables, sadly, I do not hear any difference on other cables. I cannot say why, I will simply say I will not dwell on it. or now my interest in cables are set out below.

My interest in cables are their aesthetics, feel and practicality. This comparative review is focussed on modular cables and how they differ, if at all, one from the other.

The cables in this review are a wide range of brands, at a wide range of prices. What they have in common is that they are designed as modular cables to allow the user to interchange termination plugs for the cables. The options available on the market are, 2.5mm balanced plug, 4.4mm balanced plug, 3.5mm balanced plug and single ended plug, USB Type C and four-pin XLR.
The cables come angled or straight. At the time of writing, all manufacturers here offer 3.5mm as standard with your purchase. Each manufacturer offers some of these options as standard, but none of the manufacturers in this review offers all these options as standard.

Disclosure
As is the norm, I believe it is my duty to disclose to readers whether the item I am reviewing is bought, loaned or otherwise given to me free of charge to review.
In relation to the items for this review, with the one exception, I bought and paid for all these cables at various stages, during one sale or another, dating back about 3 years. The one exception in this review is the Effect Audio Cleopatra II, which is on loan.

All opinions are my own with no influence from others. I avoid reading other reviews of the same item before I have written and published my review. I make an effort to ensure that I give the reader factual information, and I would appreciate your feedback.

Effect Audio Cleopatra

20221102_105350.jpg

Construction: The Cleopatra II is modular in more ways than one. Starting at the plug end, you have a fairly chunky cylinder with multiple sides, which, I imagine, gives a better grip than a rounded surface would allow. The chunky cylinder houses the first module, which is the interchangeable plug. The proprietary system used on the Cleopatra II by Effect Audio is TermX a which is unique in that the cylinder is essentially integrated to secure the plug in place.

TermX gives the user a similar system as used by all the modular cables here. However, the secure housing which is unique. The cylinder unscrews free of the cable to reveal the well insulated and chrome plated metal cable connection at this point the plug housed in a “micro XLR” can be detached and replaced with another plug (will be discussed below). The cylinder houses the second module on this cable.

The cable itself is made up of four braided strands, with a chunky splitter in the same cylindrical design as the plug end, on which you find the slider which is a disc-like shape which maintains the design theme. At this point, the cable splits into two twisted strands on either side. I do not see a strain relief between the contact points with the metal parts of the cable. On the earphone end is a two-pin solid grey metal eight sided cylinder which holds the two-pin connector.
The two-pin connector is Effect Audio’s innovative “ConX” which is an interchangeable screw on two-pin module.

Screenshot_2022-10-10_at_10.04.31_AM.png

The Cleopatra II cable is malleable and flows quite well, but it is not softest cable I have used but this is not a thin cable, it is a very pleasant and well behaved cable to use. In my view thevery slight stiffness comes with thicker cables but it is flows very well and feels good. The cable has no micro phonics (in my experience) and all in all a beautiful looking cable.

Options:

ConX - MMCX; Two-pin; Ear connector; A2DC; IPX

TermX - 4.4mm; 3.5mm 2.5mm (all straight) - USB-C; Lightening (all angled)

Link: https:https://www.effectaudio.com/

DD Hifi BC120C

20221102_110702.jpg

Construction: This cable has a set of six strands braid of plastic sheathed wires, with (what appears to be) a lightly brushed aluminium covered split point, and slider. At this point the cable splits to three wires at each end shrouded in another plastic sheathing as a moulded ear hook. The chosen termination is 0.78mm two-pin, again that is covered in lightly brushed aluminium and has an extension or protrusion made of clear glass-like plastic to slot into recessed earpieces, which is useful.
Modular Mechanism: The modular design here appears to be one which is used by multiple brands in this review, which is the “micro XLR” with no locking mechanism, if the “micro XLR” design is patented, it has been readily licensed to various manufacturers.

The design is a four-pin which plug into 4 slots with a guide to prevent the pins slotting into position incorrectly. At this point, the plug point, DD Hifi uses two colours the wired end is gold and the plug end is brushed aluminium with gold plugs. It comes with the three sets of plugs, 4.4mm balanced 3.5mm single ended and 2.5mm balanced, all of which are straight, not angled.

They are aesthetically pleasing to me, primarily because of the subtle pastel colour scheme. The colouring on the plugs also works well. Despite the gold bits, tamed by the brushed aluminium in the middle, it all comes together as a subtle but striking whole.

The cable looks good and fits quite firmly into all two-pin earpieces which I have tried so far. The cable s fairly soft, and flows well but given the wires are fairly chunky the cable is not the most malleable I have ever used. However, it feels easy to use and is responsive to move about. The splitter cover is functional, it does the job just fine. It must be said that that the slider is disappointingly stiff to move about but stays in place once positioned.
At the wired end of the plug, you get a short but enough heat-shrink to be reassured that the wire would not rub and wear out rubbing against the metal. The termination plugs fit in quite smoothly, it does not feel cheap. I have come across some plugs that grate and sound horribly abrasive when plugging in or taking out. The aluminium part of the plug modules have an indicator in black showing point at which the guide is located for slotting into the gold wired section.

My issue is that they do not have the reciprocal markings on the gold section, so you still have to find the point at which to slot, which during to day or in good lighting s not a problem, but at night it is not ideal. My 4.4mm plug did not come with markings on it at all. The good news is that with all of the cables with this type of design, I found it easy to slot the plug in blind. All you have to do is make contact, keep the two gently pressed together and turn the plug end, as soon as the plug gets to the guide, you just feel it slot in then all you have to do is to push them together.

Options: 4.4mm; 3.5mm 2.5mm (they are all straight and come as standard).

Link: https://www.ddhifi.com/

Dunu DUW02 Original

20221102_111638.jpg

The Dunu, as far as I am aware designed the original modular plug system. To me it is the granddaddy of them all. Tge design is sturdy and unique, I believe the design is also patented and does not appear in the offerings of any other brand as far as I am aware, except possibly, on FIIO (its sister company) products.

Construction: The cable is a four strand twisted design covered with plastic. The cable has a dark grey hue. The 4 strands are the split to two with a nice looking weathered copper cylinder with chrome accents at either end of it. The slider is a simple plastic bead, which slides well but not entirely smoothly. At this point the 4 strands are split to two either side, which lead up to a plastic shroud to act as an ear hooks, which are not too aggressive.

At the termination point, you get a two-pin or MMCX plugs to slot into the earpiece. I bought both the two-pin and MMCX a few months apart. The two-pin version has a useful clear plastic (again glass-like) protrusion for use with recessed earpieces.

Modular Mechanism: Although the Dunu modular system uses the "Micro-XLR" system and is therefore similar to the three others in this review, where it differs is size and design of the locking mechanism. Dunu has a unique click into place and pull down to release locking modular mechanism. The Dunu mechanism is very secure and it works flawlessly.

This colour combination is varied but works well together. As stated before the cable is a metallic dark grey hue, with the terminations at either end a weathered copper coloured look with chrome accents. The plug base comes with a knurled grip point for unseating to plugs, it allows for better grip and allows easy detachment by simply by pulling on the knurled bit back, while pulling the plug out. The combination with chrome accents sound a bit much but it is all subtly and tastefully done. The DW02 came with a 3.5mm plug at the point of sale, and optional extras at a price.

Options: 4.4mm, 3.5mm and 2.5mm plus 3.5 balanced (also known as Pro) and USB Type C option.

Link: https://www.dunu-topsound.com/

Hart Audio IEM Cable [PC-1-NK (MMCX) and PC-2-NK (2-Pin)]

20221102_112822.jpg

Hart Audio is based in the USA and it is primarily a cable manufacturer, although its IEM line is new. However, their modular cable system is not not new. Hart Audio offers custom cables of all sorts, in this review I focus on their new IEM line of cables.

The Hart Audio modular system like all the cables here are based on a four-pin slot. However, unlike the other manufacturers in this review Hart Audio uses a bigger version of the four-pin system, which is the “mini XLR”, as opposed to the what I refer to as the “micro XLR” used by the other manufacturers, most of which take a slightly different approach.

20221102_103047.jpg

Construction: The cable is a relatively thin four strand braid plastic sheathed four foot (121.92 cm (without the pigtail modules) long cable, it appears to have a strain relief at all contact points but they are short and only just visible. The cable appears to be malleable but not as free flowing as the rest of the cables, although it just the right side of “janky” (to use a Zeos Pantera term) because it is a skinny cable.

The plug end terminations, which attached to the modules, as previously stated, is larger than the norm amongst the cables in this review and most modular cables because of the mini XLR black metal (at least it appears to be metal) modular system used by Hart Audio. The four braid cables runs up to the splitter which is again looks like metal cylinder, also in black. At which point the cable splits to a twisted two-strand without a slider. The cable runs through to an fairly stiff moulded ear guide (which no doubt can be remoulded with a bit of DIY) which requires a bit of coaxing to fit around my ear. The ear piece end, as stated above comes with either the 2-pin option or the MMCX option.

20221102_103716.jpg

Options: Sold as 5 different combinations of Multi Kits from which to choose: Full size XLR; 6.3mm (1/4inch); 4.4mm; 3.5mm, Single Ended; 3.5mm Balanced; 2.5mm (All angled and Straight).

Link: https://hartaudiocables.com/

Kinera Ace

20221102_110846.jpg

The Ace, like other Kinera modular cables, has the same "Micro XLR" modular plug system used by three of the cables in this comparison.

Construction: This cable is a set of two colour (blue and silver) eight strands braid of plastic sheathed wires, with (what appears to be) a pewter colour metal terminations. The same pewter coloured metal covers the split point and slider, which is a round bead. At this point the cable splits to four strands at each end shrouded in a plastic sheathing as a moulded ear hook. I chose the 0.78mm two-pin, which is also covered in pewter coloured metal and has protrusion is a mere one or two millimetres which is clearly not intended for recessed but rather flush earpieces.

Modular Mechanism: The modular plug design is that which is used by VARIOUS manufacturers which is a four-pin which plug into 4 slots with a guide to prevent slotting the pins incorrectly. At this point, the plugs are single (yes, you guessed it) pewter coloured. the wired end is gold and the plug end is brushed aluminium with gold plugs. It comes as a package with the three sets of plugs, one single ended two balanced plugs, all of which are straight not angled.

The Kinera Ace look very good to me, because of the colour scheme., every metal part, apart from the plug both for the two-pin and the jacks are pewter coloured and just work well.

The cable looks good and fits quite firmly into all flush two-pin earpieces which I have tried so far. The cable is soft, and flows very well. Unlike the DD Hifi offering here the eight strands are relatively thin wires which makes the cable less chunky more malleable than the DD Hifi offering here. However, it feels easy to use and is responsive to move about. The splitter cover is what it I, functional. The slider is the easiest to use, it just glides easily along the wires.

At the wired end of the plug, you do not get a strain relief so the question is how long will it survive before it wears out rubbing against the metal. Again this has good quality plugs. Again the guide for the two parts of the plug to slot in, have no markings, but thankfully t can be done blind.

Options: Note they come standard: 4.4mm; 3.5mm 2.5mm.

Link: https://www.kineraaudio.com/

TRN 8 core cable

20221102_111145.jpg

Construction: This cable is a set of eight strands braid of plastic sheathed wires, with (what appears to be) a hard black plastic, and clear plastic bead slider. At this point the cable splits to four wires at each end shrouded in another plastic sheathing as a moulded ear hook. The is a choice of earpiece termination which are 0.78mm two-pin and MMCX, again that is covered with hard black plastic and without a protrusion, so better suited to a flush earpiece. However it must be noted that the connection options are varied and including QDC hooded connection.

Modular Mechanism: The modular design here appears to be one of the “Micro XLR” designs, without a locking mechanism. The design is a four-pin which plug into 4 slots with a guide to prevent slotting the pins incorrectly. At the plug point, it comes with the three sets of plugs, 4.4mm balanced 3.5mm single ended and 2.5mm balanced, all of which are straight, not angled. At this price I think TRN have a good, functional modular cable, which most can afford. It does the job and gives the user the options other cables give, in as far as TRN have the terminations available.

Options: Note: you get one termination as standard, any additional plug is extra, but still good value: 4.4mm; 3.5mm 2.5mm.

Link: https://trn-audio.com/

Enjoy your music

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 18
6 Modular Cables Comparison

Cables are very much a necessity but also an accessory to our wired IEM hobby, at least until Bluetooth is determined by audio enthusiasts as matching wired earphones in sound quality.

Whether you choose to spend $20 or $2,000 on cables you now have a choice as to which cables to buy. The question is do you need a modular cable? I can only answer that for myself and my answer is no…..but, I like to have the option to swap devices and as I am hanging on to my devices which come with various ports, I like having the option to swap terminations as and when required and it may well be be necessary to save having multiple cables (adding to costs) when you use more than one device.

For the purposes of this comparison here is a very small selection of modular cables, most of which are currently on the market.

There are a vast number of modular IEM cables available. However, the modular designs or mechanisms which these modular cables use are quite limited in number, primarily because fundamentally they all rely on a four-pin connection, which remains the same or at very least, similar.

The connection is effectively a form of XLR. Given, Hart Audio aptly refer to their 1 cm (approximately) in diameter connectors as “Mini XLR”, I use the term “Micro XLR” for the other connector which are about half the size of the Hart Audio connectors. Given the cable connectors are essentially the same, the variation between modular cables is mainly the design of the mechanism for locking the modules securely in place when in use.

Three of the cables here have no locking mechanism at all, they are, DD Hifi cable, the Kinera and the TRN cables. They are therefore the same in design. All three have one end of the cable male and the other end of the cable female, the two ends slot together, that is it, your module is in place. To prevent slotting the two ends into the wrong position, there is a guide, which lines up only when the two ends of the cables are aligned.

The entire weight of a falling DAP could hang on the two part of the cable being tight enough to hold together. Of course there is always the other weak link, the plug…..but that is outside my brief.

The other three use different mechanisms to lock the two ends of the cable together. Dunu uses a unique locking system which clips into place at the plug end, once the plug is aligned and the alignment is marked to ensure it is visible.

The Hart Audio IEM cable is very much a Mini XLR as the name suggest, and works on the premise of a similar logic as the Dunu, the two cables are aligned only when appropriate and once pushed together, the locking mechanism clicks in, the same fashion as Dunu, Hart Audio and the full size XLR locking mechanisms. However, I cannot say if the locking mechanism have innovative prorietory designs which restrict their use in any way.

Effect Audio’s (EA) TermX also operates on the basis of a locking mechanism at the termination end of proceedings, but EA has taken a very different approach, which is based on a “Micro XLR” aligned and slotted into place, but EA goes further by relying on a screw on hood in the form of a lock to hold the “Micro XLR” in place.

20221102_112203.jpg

The locking mechanism could save a lot of hassle and cost. The last thing you want is your expensive device being damaged because your cable breaks up in your attempt to break the fall of the device by holding on to the cable.
Two of the manufacturers here go even further and give us even more. Staring with Hart Audio, which gives you almost any termination you want, all you have to do is give them the specifications. Whilst Dunu gives you 90 degree plugs but not straight plugs, all the others, except Hart Audio, gives you straight plugs. Hart Audio gives you either straight plugs or angled plugs. You also get the option of a full size four-pin XLR, and all of these just slot into place with your IEM cables.

Oh, joy and a half! There is more from Effect Audio, not only do you have the TermX, which as a reminder, allows you to change the termination at the plug end of proceedings, but also you get a further choice, you must feel spoilt for choice by now. Effect Audio offers you ConX, which deals with the other end of proceedings, MMCX, Two-pin and much more, so you just have to get one cable and all your IEMs are catered for by the single (very busy cable). The mechanism of the ConX is simply a screw in place unit, which is interchangeable, letting you swap other connectors into your earpieces as you wish. You might say, “at the price of the Cleopatra, it had better do everything, plus sing and dance as well”. Just to let you know, they have launched a “budget” version, “yes a millionaire’s budget”, you might say, but, seriously, EA have launched a relatively inexpensive cable with terminations as you wish.

Conclusion
Which cable will go into my cable pouch for travel?

20221103_161118.jpg

If the name of the game is modular and nothing else, all cables here each have a lot going for them. My verdict, TRN is definitely good value for your money. Kinera, fun and elegance. DD Hifi, looks. Dunu, security and innovation.
Effect Audio, even more innovation, security and versatility. Hart Audio, innovation, security versatility, value and the anything you want termination option. They all offer something, the secure locking mechanisms of the Dunu DW02, the EA Cleopatra and the Hart Audio IEM cable, pulled ahead. Then, despite my affection for the Dunu cables, the Cleopatra and Hart Audio pulled ahead of the Dunu on versatility. I could not make up my mind, then I looked at all as they lay in front of me, and I just could not help it when I saw the full size XLR option which works a treat for my tube amp, I do not have to work out which bits of adaptors I need to pull out for which device in order to listen to anything.

Apart from the fact that I do not own the Cleopatra II cable (although I own two EA cables) and the fact that I only need to take my one cable pouch, and I have everything I need in it, meant that Hart Audio cables (I bought both the MMCX and Two pin) making them my most complete cable set for travel?

20221102_110103.jpg

Note:
According to Dunu’s information sheets, most phones and music players do not support 3.5mm balanced. Again from the same source the Type C modular plugs support up 24-bit/384 kHz with a maximum power f 30 mW into 32 Ohms.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for including our stuff in this discussion!

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 18
Hey Chris. Good idea on the thread!

One of my favourites is the Dunu Blanche. It is such a pliable cable that it is such a joy to use. It is also one of the few cables that I could hear more definition from my music! I love it so much that I bought a 2-pin version and a mmcx version. One is permanently paired to my CA Supermoon and the other to my Penon Serials!

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 18
Hey Chris. Good idea on the thread!

One of my favourites is the Dunu Blanche. It is such a pliable cable that it is such a joy to use. It is also one of the few cables that I could hear more definition from my music! I love it so much that I bought a 2-pin version and a mmcx version. One is permanently paired to my CA Supermoon and the other to my Penon Serials!
I have not tried the Dunu Blanche yet, but it certainly looks good 👌. Add to your description the Dunu modular mechanism, which is very well designed, secure and seamless to use, I can only imagine it must be a pleasure to use. One for me, for the future.

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 18
1667575229313.png
New ISN cables. Posted some impressions here on them

Their new modular system is not as secure as Dunus. I think Dunus modular system is the best of all the modular systems. But this simple method of pull out and pushing in a new connector via 4 pins works well and is easy enough and surprisingly secure. Your not going to have a connector accidently fall out when casually using the cables as it takes a bit of force to take out the plug. In any case I think modularity makes a whole lot of sense for more adaptability for IEMs. My moonlight, New MEAOES Eagle are both 10 ohm impedance and sound better in single ended and these cables allows me to experiment with the needs of the given IEM. This is the way of the future my friends.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 18
1667575229313.pngNew ISN cables. Posted some impressions here on them

Their new modular system is not as secure as Dunus. I think Dunus modular system is the best of all the modular systems. But this simple method of pull out and pushing in a new connector via 4 pins works well and is easy enough and surprisingly secure. Your not going to have a connector accidently fall out when casually using the cables as it takes a bit of force to take out the plug. In any case I think modularity makes a whole like of sense for more adaptability for IEMs. My moonlight, New MEAOES Eagle are both 10 ohm impedance and sound better in single ended and these cables allows me to experiment with the needs of the given IEM. This is the way of the future my friends.

Nice ISN modular cables. I was eying the gold offering from ISN.

I have to agree that the Dunu mechanism is highly polished and elegant, whilst giving you maximum security (sounds like a prison 😀). Also, there are not many angled plugs on the market and Dunu offers angled plugs.

Nov 4, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 18
I've got a Tripowin Petrichor for my 2-pin headphones and it's got a really nice system. I just received my Hart IEM system today, and it's fantastically made, like all their other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back