Monolith by Monoprice Tube Headphone Amplifier with ESS Sabre DAC (29511)
Sep 11, 2018 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 133

Allanmarcus

Headphoneus Supremus
Not sure if there is a thread for this one yet, but interesting looking tube amp.
Product # 29511

$400

Please post your impressions if you get one

Also, if you tube roll, what are you using?

295111.jpg

295113.jpg

29511_06.jpg

295116.jpg

Note the 4 screws on the top plate. To change the tubes, one removes these 4 screws. I suppose you could just keep the top plate off for sustained tube rolling.

1) The 6N5P crosses over to a US6080 or 6AS7.
2) Dual 6N3 tubes are utilized for the input stage and can cross over to US equivalents 2C51 or 396a.

Model 29511
Input Stage Tube Type 2x 6N3 (crossing over to US equivalents 2C51 or 396a)
Output Stage Tube Type 6N5P (crossing over to US equivalents US6080 or 6AS7)
Output Power (RMS) 0.95 watts/channel @600 ohms
1.1 watts/channel @300 ohms
1.1 watts/channel @150 ohms
1.0 watts/channel @64 ohms
1.0 watts/channel @32 ohms
Inputs 1x 3.5mm TRS stereo analog
1x unbalanced stereo RCA analog
1x USB Type-B digital
Outputs 1x 1/4" TRS stereo headphones
1x unbalanced stereo RCA analog
Headphone Impedances 16-32 ohms, 33-64 ohms, 65-150 ohms, 151-300 ohms, 600 ohms
DAC Chipset ESS Sabre® ES9018S 24-bit@192kHz and 32-bit@384kHz
USB Receiver Chipset Savitech SA9227
Direct Stream Digital™ DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256
Frequency Response 20Hz ~ 20kHz (-1dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio ≤ 98dB (A weighted)
Total Harmonic Distortion < 1% @64 ohms
Dimensions 5.9" x 9.4" x 12.8" (150 x 240 x 325 mm)
Weight 20.5 lbs. (9.3 kg)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 133
While I'm holding out for the Liquid Platinum, this looks interesting. Looking forward to hearing impressions.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 133
Between the dozen screws on the case and the lack of (or lack of mention of) self-biasing, this amp really doesn't seem optimal for tube-rolling.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 133
@Hansotek - I know you're reviewing pre-production units of the Liquid Platinum and Liquid Spark...
Did your friends from Monoprice provide one of these as well for your inputs / review?
If not - do you know who might have got one? Trying to make sure the people that can contribute are aware of this new thread... :wink:

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 133
Odd design, most everyone who buys is going to want to tube roll. It's almost as if they forgot to make easy tube access......

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 133
Odd design, most everyone who buys is going to want to tube roll. It's almost as if they forgot to make easy tube access......

Right!? And, enclosing that rectifier and pre-amp tubes in a metal box seems like it's going to make the entire case uncomfortably hot to the touch.

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 133
@Hansotek - I know you're reviewing pre-production units of the Liquid Platinum and Liquid Spark...
Did your friends from Monoprice provide one of these as well for your inputs / review?
If not - do you know who might have got one? Trying to make sure the people that can contribute are aware of this new thread... :wink:

Nope, haven't heard it. I'm curious though!

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 133
Maybe their target audience (for the most part) is newbie audiophiles who would like to try tube sound, but not deal with buying tubes and rolling them...
Or maybe just a bad decision during the early design phases...

Unfortunately, I do not believe Monoprice has a person who represents them in these threads, so we'll probably never know.

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 133
I like the idea of having tubes not be exposed, given how clumsy I am. It also might help with EMI.

Seems like the happy medium would be a case design that was enclosed but minimized the number of screws/etc. required to open the top.

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 133
I like the idea of having tubes not be exposed, given how clumsy I am. It also might help with EMI.

Seems like the happy medium would be a case design that was enclosed but minimized the number of screws/etc. required to open the top.

I hadn't thought about the EMI angle. There might be some real benefit there, assuming that the electronics inside are well-shielded from the tubes too (which looks to be the case).

A big latching lid would be really cool. I'm not clumsy, but anything that lessens the likelihood of dust, pet hair, and other random debris getting cooked onto the tubes is a plus.

Are screws really that much of a hassle?

Depends on how much you tube-roll or clean the tubes. Also depends on how likely you are to drop, misplace, cross-thread, or strip a screw. Also depends on what the warranty states about opening the thing up. Also on how confident you are that you won't drop that big metal n on the fragile tubes. Also on how well the lid and case and screws and holes line up when you try to put it back together.

If a person is going to roll tubes, that screwed-on case presents quite a few potential problems and inconveniences.

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 133
Depends on how much you tube-roll or clean the tubes. Also depends on how likely you are to drop, misplace, cross-thread, or strip a screw. Also depends on what the warranty states about opening the thing up. Also on how confident you are that you won't drop that big metal n on the fragile tubes. Also on how well the lid and case and screws and holes line up when you try to put it back together.

If a person is going to roll tubes, that screwed-on case presents quite a few potential problems and inconveniences.

True, especially if the screws are not high quality. In practice, maybe you could just leave the screws out and just rest the exterior of the case on top of the chassis, possibly with a bit of type.if it's an aesthetic problem.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 133
True, especially if the screws are not high quality. In practice, maybe you could just leave the screws out and just rest the exterior of the case on top of the chassis, possibly with a bit of type.if it's an aesthetic problem.
or just use a few screws to hold it in place until the "perfect" combination of tubes is found.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #15 of 133
or just use a few screws to hold it in place until the "perfect" combination of tubes is found.
Thumbscrews, like on some computer cases, would work better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back