Monolith M1070 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphones
Dec 6, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #17 of 267
Here's a review for the 1570s. Seems mostly positive.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #21 of 267
Okay, even though my listening hasn’t been extensive, here are some thoughts on my new 1070, and please understand that I’m not accustomed to describing the sound of headpnones! But there’s more than just the sound so I hope some of this is useful.
Outside of several ‘life issues” intruding on my time one of the reasons why my listening has been limited is that I’ve been listening to my 570”s quite a bit, both at home and out and about. Yes I know they’re open but I’m considerate of others.
Let’s address functional and cosmetic considerations first. And all of these can be equally directed at the 1570”s without any deviation.
They are beautiful headphones. This is of course incredibly subjective. I personally find the Sendy’s to look fussy and as though they wanted to design something pretty, but not in a good way. I also think the Blons look bland and partly that’s because I’ve never liked the look of metal and pale wood. Whatever, all that matters is that aesthetically both elicit no response and when one finds aesthetics to be only a rung or two below sound, these things matter. Ergo, I love the 570’s, I adore them, both looks and build and I cannot find fault anywhere with them. I’ll compare their metalwork later ....
The 1070’s are lovely to look at and to hold. You obviously know that Monoprice have gone all-in with the black look. Everything is black. The wood on the earcups is even more darkly-stained than on the 570’s. On those I think one can fairly easy see (in person) that they have wooden ear ups, and it is lovely. On the 1070’s it’s wood but it’s so dark that I could only initially tell by touch, and then to confirm by looking directly under a light. This is neither here nor there; they’re effectively black and the look is to my eyes pretty damn nice.
They feel great in the hand because it’s all quality materials and it’s all put together extremely well. I knew as soon as I received my 570’s that Monoprice had at some point, after the period of time beginning with release of the 1060’s onwards, that they were in this headphone game long term. And not because they could release model after model and raise the price each time, rapidly getting into the thousands, like so many others. These two latest models merely confirm this, to me at least.
However the 1070 and 1570 are substantially different beasts to the 570. And maybe this matters, insomuch as the 570 are of course using the blueprint that the Sendy’s and Blon both adhere to. Monoprice took that in their own preferred direction and created something that should shame all other headphone makers because they’ve done it for less than $300 and it still feels like a no compromise product.
But these two, even though they take design cues from Audeze, Focal and probably others, are their own creations, and they don’t feel as cohesively constructed as the 570. This is not to criticise them so much, but to recognise that both are generations further removed from the 1060 models. Massively improved in every capacity, but still linked to them, albeit tenuously.
I really shouldn’t have any complaints about these models build-wise because they are astonishIngly well put together. As I said, they look stunning and feel great. They are both very large headphones and this does impact comfort in several ways. If one is particularly sensitive to weight these might, I stress might, be troublesome. I own over thirty headphones and the heaviest have never for one second caused any issue. Last night listening to the 1070’s there was a moment when I suddenly noticed that there was weight I was feeling on my neck. This was after around forty five minutes. I took them off and considered them rather scornfully for a minute or so and then carried on listening. Five hours later I finished my third or fourth whisky and took them off to go to bed. They hadn’t bothered me again and I felt like I had just experienced a wonderful music listening session. I’m just saying - first time headphone weight had ever become recognisable to me so if that is something you experience often, these might be one to audition at home if possible.
Now, that weight matters because it’s all in the earcups, and the headband leading into the yokes does not stick close to the head, but heads out a little ways. You know the look. It isn’t as noticeable here as in the P9’s for example, but it does result in a slightly ungainly feel as the weight can feel as though there is swing, or looseness, in the design. Again, all that weight is resting against ones ears and the weight feels a touch like a pendulum that wants to swing. If one moves ones head when listening there is that feel of looseness. I don’t move my head, but if I were to lean forwards or get really involved in a song and find myself bopping along to it, then you will notice the weight perched on your ears. If me writing a paragraph about this feels as though I’m criticising them them please realise I am not. Others may be less than happy with this however.
As I type this I’m just coming to the end of an eighty minute compilation I did for a friend and no problems so far. They feel supremely comfortable. Straight onto comp number two shortly. I think the wide headband design works wonderfully.
Next the metal. The yokes on both models are gorgeous matte black aluminium. Something that I wish could be otherwise. I love the metalwork on the 570 because it isn’t this type of metal finish, it’s a semi-glossy ‘rounded-finish’ that both looks and feels great. I’ve used them every day at home and out in the evening for many hours and have not been overly protective of them and they look as good as they day they arrived. This metal simply isn’t going to show marks of usage.
But the metal yokes on the 1070 are the same that so many headphones use, that smooth premium-feeling sharp-edged metal that may look stunning, but that boy oh boy will get scuffed quickly. I’ve been using the 1070’s only for the past three days and have been very careful in my handling precisely because I’ve had other cans that have metal like this and I know from experience .... last night I picked them up to start listening and I noticed a glint that caught my eye and there on one yoke was a spit of silver. God only knows where, but at some point I would have placed them down and something has nicked the black coating. Yes this is to some a trivial thing but when one admires this beautiful overall black aesthetic which the designers have felt was important in the visual part of this design, well, the nicks stand out like a sore thumb. Over time these things recede into a forgotten past and simply become part of the history of the product. I mention this only because it feels a pity to me that over time this becomes almost a ‘scruffiness’ that one has to accept.
Enough of that. The pads feel great. Audeze-large, memory foam and ultra-comfortable. Their size and the arcing outwards of the yokes basically creates the beast-like proportions that marks out the look of these two cans.
Here too is a puzzling (because I haven’t sought to answer it yet) thing: the second pair of velvet ear pads that are supplied with them. I’ve read elsewhere that the quality of these extra pads leaves a bit to be desired. I can understand why that might appear to be the case, but actually I don’t think it’s fair. The thing is they are fantastically squishy and utterly without a firm structure to them. Unlike say a Dekoni ultra-suede which is soft and yet holds its firm shape, these are the opposite. I can’t say much more as I haven’t yet listened with these pads on. I’m not a fan of the method of changing them, akin to Beyer’s so that will happen over the next days. But I will say that they feel incredibly soft and smooth against the face. Softer than anything I’ve ever felt in my entire life!
But the interesting part is that they are about a third as thick as the stock pads. They are slightly sloped as well but I am really surprised at their difference to the stock thick pads. As we all know changing pads can fundamentally affect the sound signature of a headphone and these couldn’t be more different than each other. I am very curious to see what the resultant changes are. I will post my thoughts when I try them out.
Anything else? The cables are nice, but there’s only one and it isn’t long enough, so right now I’ve moved my listening chair next to my desk where my computer and desktop amps are. Again, I don’t want to be harsh as I feel these are priced extremely fairly but I would appreciate options for a reasonable addition in cost. I don’t have the Sennheiser 820 but I think it’s great that they come with three different three metre cables. I’m not suggesting that extreme an option but two cables, one short-ish and one long would be nice. Easy to rectify with these, but not so easy apparently with the 1570 as I have read that other mini-xlr’s don’t work with them. One short, one long seems reasonable to me. The cable with the 1570 is noticeably heavier and thicker. The two strands after the break to the earcups could be a little more flexible as well. Not a problem as such, just another point in the journey to making faultless headphones. This is the second generation of Monoprice headphones and the next generation two years from now will probably go even further.
All things considered these are four hundred dollar headphones. In the climate we now live in with headphones, that is budget level. It’ll get you a plastic pair of LCD 1’s, I’m not bitching about plastic per se - I dearly love my HD800S but there’s plastic and there’s plastic. Hold these or the 570’s in your hand and then the LCD1 and see how you feel. Spoiler alert: the 570’s sound great. These sound better than great.
Okay, sound. Deep breath. These soar into the distance beyond the 1060’s. For me. I want to stress that. I watch headphone reviews on YouTube, and read reviews all over. But I never forget that I’m only getting that persons opinion, not a portrayal of what the reality might be for me. Why do I watch them then? Because I find them to mostly be interesting, sometimes entertaining and also because I am able to glean other pieces of information that often I find interesting.
I owned the 1060’s for just over a year, first version of them. I liked them, but not anymore than liked. I was never moved by them, or even particularly enjoyed listening to them. They were inexpensive (less than two hundred pounds) and dare I say, inoffensive. I found the sound to be on the thin side, clear and lacking in substance. I have many other headphones and rarely did I use them, but out of feeling bad for ‘ignoring’ them I would still oftentimes pick them up but I was never given pause to stop and thank them for what they gave me. I no longer have them to compare directly here.
But one thing I can say upfront is that when I start listening to these, I carry on for hours. I’m not consciously thinking this or that and choosing to carry on; I’m just really enjoying what I’m listening to and later on I suddenly catch myself and hours have gone by. Beautifully-soft music or Icelandic metal and these sound lovely with both extremes. Tonight I’ve connected them for the first time to my Klipsch Heritage amp and although the sound is missing some clarity, the added warmth and musicality is like a lovely musical ride I’m on and I am quite simply enjoying every song I listen to. Halfway through a second compilation and this is what makes this hobby something that enriches ones life. Sitting back and feeling the drive and dynamics and personality of the music. I never felt that for one second with the 1060’s.
Okay, back after an hours break and now listening to the same first comp but now plugged into the Audeze Deckard.
This has low, medium and high gain; low gain means three o’clock volume, medium okay-ish but high feels like I’m holding onto a runaway stallion! Something which is apparent with these is that they sound completely different with different amps. That may be an obvious statement but these seem to almost change character in a way that few of my other cans do. On the Klipsch they sounded organic, balanced and very much one with the sounds of each song. Tracking very naturally. With the Deckard there is a liveliness and energy right at the core of the music. The next amp in line is the HiFiman EF6, which I basically bought solely for my HE6. I’ve tried the 1070 (and very briefly the 1570) a couple of times on the EF6 and was a little underwhelmed. But that brings me onto synergy with different components. I first listened to the 1070 on my iPod Classic connected to my portable Onkyo amp and that combination produced if not the most satisfying listen then certainly the most eyebrow-raising. Everything I played I was hearing things I’d never heard before, to a startling extent. With my desktop amps I haven’t experienced that, but I have found myself listening to a profoundly musical headphone.
Even though I thoroughly enjoyed listening to these compilations on the Klipsch (incidentally one of the strongest reasons I value the Heritage amp is that my T90 Jubilees sound utterly magnificent through it) its immediately apparent how much more alive is the music through the Deckard. As I said from the off, I honestly don’t know how to describe sound as one usually reads in headphone reviews.
The difference between this and the 1060 is remarkable. The sound is full, dynamic and muscular. Details are there to hear but they are very much part of a musical whole. They carry the flow and the force of music wonderfully. North of neutral to my ears, and superbly well controlled. I have to interject at this point and say that they are somewhat revealing of sound file quality. I’m on the upbeat compilation here, and the last song sounded really good but it’s only with this next song being played like the gods themselves demand it, that I see that the previous song was lacking. Everything I hear in this song is right up there and more with my favourite headphones for simply letting loose and feeling myself succumb to the emotion and power of certain music. This is an absolute blast!
Down to medium gain. This headphone feels addictive to me. It has been a long while since I’ve stayed up all night listening to music, even though I love nearly all my headphones. Last night all night, and right now it’s 5:44 am and I’m still right in here digging this music and not feeling tired! This is what happens when the music is all one hears. Here I am - Nine Inch Nails Copy of A and it is fantastic and makes me feel like I can run up mountainsides. Clear but not bright, hard-hitting bass slam yet ever so clear and detailed, layers of song integrated to be a whole.
The soundstage doesn’t feel that expansive, but again, that is one thing that ebbs and flows with certain tracks. Right now it feels wide, detailed and knitted-together perfectly, but with other songs nothing particularly noticeable.
So many things in the listening of music feel related to source file quality.
Sat here now listening to the latest album by Ride feels nothing less than joyous and exhilarating. Like I couldn’t ask for more. Better not connect up my HE6!
Clock passes six.
I should connect up the EF6; I was underwhelmed the other night. I just assumed that as HiFiMan had released that to power he HE6 that it would automatically be the default for planers. I don’t know. Shortly. Right now I’m enjoying this too much on the Deckard. That’s what I’m noticing about these; they’re great to st back and listen to. They are conveying to me something in these files that I know so well, that’s simply about letting the music come to me without any thoughts interjecting. I think they’re winners. Just like I felt with the 570’s I feel that these would be great at twice the price. I don’t know what any of the LCD series bring to the table; the only Audeze I own are the EL8 closed and open back, both of which I really like a lot. This is clearly in a different league to those but other LCD model I have to leave for others. But even though I own a lot of headphones, for me to spend more than six, seven hundred pounds I have to seriously feel confident In what I’m doing. I’ve yet to give the 1570’s a chance at showing what they’re capable of.
Back after an hour of more whisky, chocolate-covered Brazils and listening through the EF6.. I suppose the EF6 is the only higher end amp I have at hand, but it’s obvious these can scale with different equipment. The clarity and dynamism has gone up another few notches. There’s now an immediacy to the music that is captivating and very immersive.
I think I’ll leave it there for now. My listening time is still quite low, I have a few other amps that I can try and I also need to listen to some of my classical music as those files are universally high resolution and bring a different sound style to be considered.
For now I have to say that I really feel as though there’s as good as no relationship between these and the 1060. They are just better in every respect to my eyes and ears.
I do have to listen more, and also see just how much of an impact changing the pads has. I mean, Monoprice had to supply those pads for a reason, so I am curious to see and hear what difference they make.
For now I’ll leave it here and I will post any further thoughts I have.
Any questions feel free to ask me.

Dec 15, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #22 of 267
Thanks for a really enjoyable write up! You clearly have a way with thoughts to words conversion, but man is it hard to read :]
Hopefully you don't mind me contributing an effort to summarize some of your sound impressions? Do correct or add where needed. Quoting:

Versus M1060
.. these soar into the distance beyond the 1060’s. For me
.. sitting back and feeling the drive and dynamics and personality of the music. I never felt that for one second with the 1060’s
.. the difference between this and the 1060 is remarkable. The sound is full, dynamic and muscular. Details are there to hear but they are very much part of a musical whole. They carry the flow and the force of music wonderfully. North of neutral to my ears, and superbly well controlled
.. for now I have to say that I really feel as though there’s as good as no relationship between these and the 1060. They are just better in every respect to my eyes and ears.

Gear pairings
.. apparent with these is that they sound completely different with different amps. That may be an obvious statement but these seem to almost change character in a way that few of my other cans do. On the Klipsch they sounded organic, balanced and very much one with the sounds of each song. Tracking very naturally. With the Deckard there is a liveliness and energy right at the core of the music. The next amp in line is the HiFiman EF6, which I basically bought solely for my HE6. I’ve tried the 1070 (and very briefly the 1570) a couple of times on the EF6 and was a little underwhelmed. I just assumed that as HiFiMan had released that to power he HE6 that it would automatically be the default for planers

.. that brings me onto synergy with different components. first listened to the 1070 on my iPod Classic connected to my portable Onkyo amp and that combination produced if not the most satisfying listen then certainly the most eyebrow-raising. Everything I played I was hearing things I’d never heard before, to a startling extent. With my desktop amps I haven’t experienced that, but I have found myself listening to a profoundly musical headphone.

Overall impressions
.. this headphone feels addictive to me. Clear but not bright, hard-hitting bass slam yet ever so clear and detailed, layers of song integrated to be a whole. The soundstage doesn’t feel that expansive, but again, that is one thing that ebbs and flows with certain tracks. Right now it feels wide, detailed and knitted-together perfectly, but with other songs nothing particularly noticeable. So many things in the listening of music feel related to source file quality.

.. they’re great to st back and listen to. They are conveying to me something in these files that I know so well, that’s simply about letting the music come to me without any thoughts interjecting. I think they’re winners. Just like I felt with the 570’s I feel that these would be great at twice the price. I don’t know what any of the LCD series bring to the table; the only Audeze I own are the EL8 closed and open back, both of which I really like a lot. This is clearly in a different league to those but other LCD model I have to leave for others.

Dec 15, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #23 of 267
I just ordered one, which is my second new pair after hd598 10 years ago.
Because the price of hifiphone is beyond my rationals for justification.
After listening experience of M1060 which was originally broken pair for 80 usd and repaired by me.
M1060 are incredible for thick mid and bodied bass into its subbass which is only possible through big drive size of 106mm.
The sound through big size planar drive makes difference in sizable difference.

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #24 of 267
I have my m1070 for a week now. Love the headphone but hate the headband. I have a he560 v2 headband and would love to swap with it but the yoke on the m1070 is not attach like on the m1060. If someone has successfully mod the headband in the future, give me pointer.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #25 of 267
I am disappointed with the sound engineering of Monoprice.
M1070 was instantly recognized as noticeably weak sub-bass and bass compared to the 1060s.
I simply returned it back to them right after first listening of 10 minutes.
I should wait until the sound tuning has been established.
They should hire some good sound expert and verify the sound signature of what they advertise before they release their products.

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #26 of 267
They don't understand why we are looking for big-sized-planar drive.

LCD competitors of their claims for this M1070s are generally expected bodied mids with bass and more sub-bass which are not mingled with mids.
They simply are mimicking the phasor of LCD and looking for highs and bass / sub-bass, but they failed to attain either side of their targets.
Simply they are lacking in science of sound where all sound engineering are based.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #27 of 267
They don't understand why we are looking for big-sized-planar drive.

LCD competitors of their claims for this M1070s are generally expected bodied mids with bass and more sub-bass which are not mingled with mids.
They simply are mimicking the phasor of LCD and looking for highs and bass / sub-bass, but they failed to attain either side of their targets.
Simply they are lacking in science of sound where all sound engineering are based.
All we are saying is give burn-in a chance.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #28 of 267
To some extent, yes. But this case it can be beyond burn-in.
I am in this headfi in more than 10 years, which tells that the burn-in has some effect but usually not so much scales up with time.

Dec 27, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #29 of 267
To some extent, yes. But this case it can be beyond burn-in.
I am in this headfi in more than 10 years, which tells that the burn-in has some effect but usually not so much scales up with time.
Thanks. I was looking for that low-end punch and rich midrange... disappointing.

Dec 27, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #30 of 267
That's weird. I hear my m1070 has deeper and better bass than my modded m1060. Sound nice and clearer too. But one things for sure, the m1060 has a nicer built except for the original headband. M1070 feels very plasticky except for the metal rings around the planars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back