Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 5, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #4,741 of 8,051
+1 for Impact Audio Cables, ordered them before it was found out the connection was no longer MMCX, found that out within the day I ordered. Was easy communicating with him to get everything changed to the proper connection for the second revision. We kept each other informed through the process and out came his first 2.5mm mono cable for the M1060. Will be going with Lindsay again for a custom HD 700 cable in the future.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/533320597/custom-infinity-series-monolith-m1060?ref=shop_home_feat_1

i-wpCK5pZ.jpg

I have DFR + laptop for my portable setup at work (mainly listen to the TH-X00 PH with it). Been a while since listened to the M1060 on it, but from what I remember it paired well with it. Will need to revisit it and listen again to get more accurate impressions of it. DFR definitely sounds its best after being powered on for a day. With any headphone I have, the DFR does have extremely clear sound - clearer than my home system setup. Phenominally clean and clear sounding, just lags a little bit in detail and more so in low end presence than my Bifrost 4490 DAC and Meir JAZZ-ff amp setup...

How are the microphonics with this type of cable?

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,742 of 8,051
New to the forums and glad to see a lot of people enjoying the M1060.

Since it didn't show up on the search results I thought I'd put in my subjective (no FR graphs) experience with HiFiMAN Velpads. Since the vegan pads seem a bit hard to obtain for a reasonable price, I experimented with about 5 different pads on my pair of M1060s
  • Cosmos velour
  • HiFiMAN Velours (Different pads that are really stiff compared to the Velpads)
  • A few cheap eBay velours
  • Brainwavz round velours (Too small)
It seems the only pads I can recommend without reservation are the Velpads. All of them were velours but all of them except the Velpads had plastic or pleather on the inner part of the pad.

They have some problems vs the vegan pads of course such as covering some of the top and bottom vents and not being easily applicable to the drivers due to the mounting rings (I used nail clippers to snip the clips off). But at 1/4th the cost of the vegans ($15), they're a great value and easier to obtain.

Comfort is great, at least on par with the stock pads. But because of the smaller depth, it does allow more room for headband adjustments which is great if you have a big noggin. If you have big ears though, they might touch the drivers. They're angled, unlike most alternatives I could find. They've completely resolved the ringing issue I had with the stock pads as well as bring back some life to the treble. Just wanted to give you guys another option to consider if it hasn't been mentioned.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #4,744 of 8,051
How are the microphonics with this type of cable?

FYI, my cable from tritonaudiocables.com has zero microphonics. But I think that's normal for headphone (vs IEM) cables.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #4,745 of 8,051
Sounds interesting. Tighter bass and expanded soundstage - can't complain if a cable upgrade can do that.

Any idea where to get the cable only, if one doesn't own a nightowl?
here is the link from where i got it
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/audioquest-nighthawk-and-nightowl-replacement-lead.html
btw the expanded soundstage is from the mod not the cable ,, the cable retained the image definition and bass attack
i cant stress how the headphone with out the cable is useless to me ,, feels boring and lifeless ..

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #4,746 of 8,051
Lol. Funny. After reading that post I thought what the hell, give it a try
since I own the Nightowl's.
I swapped cables and didn't hear a single difference.
hmm that's strange , i hear the deference and it has very noticeable improvement over the stock ,,
i think you have a defective Nightowl cable :thinking:

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #4,748 of 8,051
Maybe that person's stock cable was actually defective, in which case switching to (a working) Nightowl cable really did make a difference?

I heard a clearly audible difference when I hooked up my custom Impact Audio cable cable to my V1's for the first time. I attributed it to the fact that my personal stock cable may have been defective.

I can't do a true A/B test in my case, as my custom cable is XLR.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #4,749 of 8,051
Does the M1060 cable on the Nighowl degrade the sound of the Nightowl?
The cable was replacement for NightHawk , i dont have Nightowl,
never thought about it to check ,, but yes ,, on the NightHawk it is way obvious than the M1060
with the the Nightowl cable , imaging is better and clearer , treble is more for sure ,,
the one extra thing i hear in the M1060 bass texture is back (with the the Nightowl cable)
now i am pretty sure 100% the M1060 cable has lower quality material ..

btw , now i understand way you said the M1060 has close sound signature to the Nighthawk ,
i just did a small comparison and ohh boy how they are very close ,
the M1060 stock has better details , sound stage , presence , bass extension ,
although sound representation is almost the same ,,
you have have a good memory sir .. i have the NightHawk which i am not using anymore ,
it was setting in its bag for months ,, form memory they were different, but now your statement make sense to me.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #4,750 of 8,051
I just picked up the M1060s yesterday and gave them a listen for a few hours. My initial impressions are mixed. I started out with them just plugged into my iPad Pro (yeah, I know) and overall they sounded pretty good but I was definitely not blown away by any means. After a bit of song shuffling on the iPad, I decided to take them to my main rig with is equipped with a Soundblaster X7 (stock op-amps) that I have owned for years and has been an excellent piece of equipment. I have thrown numerous headphones at it and it has always handled them without issue.

Well, here's where it gets weird. Hooking the M1060s to my X7 and starting the first song, I immediately knew something was off (i had all processing turned off in the SB settings btw). The sound from the 1060s was hollow, distant and the bass was noticeably lacking. Cranking the volume did little to alleviate it. Song after song I noticed the same thing. The life had been sucked from the music, it was a hollow shell and sounded sickly. The 1060s with the X7 actually sounded way worse than when I had them plugged into my iPad.

I also A/B'ed them with my K7XX, which has been a great pair that I have used almost exclusively for the past year or two. The K7XX sounded great as usual. The bass was full, mids were forward and the treble was nice and clear. The difference was striking actually.

I also recently owned the HE400i headphones (returned them due to QC issue), I can still remember how impressed I was with those headphones when using them with my X7. Those literally made my jaw drop.

My only conclusion is that there is some sort of horrible synergy between the 1060 and the X7 or I have a bum pair. I was almost ready to box them up last night to be returned but decided I would give them a burn-in session for about 15-20 hours before making my final decision.

Is anyone else using the 1060s with an X7 and having a similar experience?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #4,751 of 8,051
That sound like the 3.5 to quarter inch adaptor is playing up try another one if you have one at hand.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #4,753 of 8,051
hmm that's strange , i hear the deference and it has very noticeable improvement over the stock ,,
i think you have a defective Nightowl cable :thinking:

Nothing wrong with cable
Maybe you had a defective M1060 cable?
I heard no audible differences when swapping out the cables

Edit: I went to the link you included in post and it really gave me nothing other then the price. What NO cable are you referring to? The small 1M that has the mic on it or the longer (whatever size it is) cable?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #4,754 of 8,051
Nothing wrong with cable
Maybe you had a defective M1060 cable?
I heard no audible differences when swapping out the cables

Edit: I went to the link you included in post and it really gave me nothing other then the price. What NO cable are you referring to? The small 1M that has the mic on it or the longer (whatever size it is) cable?
the link is working fine my friend ,, its the 1.2m cable with the mic ,,
this one : http://assets.ilounge.com/images/reviews/audioquest/nightowl-carbon/4.jpg
also the M1060 cable is working fine with my NightHawk
its just that you dont hear the deference because maybe your amp/dac is not transparent enough ,
or am not sure why ,, but the improvement over the stock cable is very clear ..

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,755 of 8,051
Massdrop just came down with a drop for ZMF Ear Pads. 2 options: Eikon appears to be the correct fit. Material choices are 'Protien Leather' and 'Lambskin'. I assume the first is 'pleather' and probably no (or not much) different than stock. Might the effect of the lambskin be similar to the Vegans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back