Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 23, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #4,967 of 8,051
@dpm78 I like the stealth look, what material did you use for the paper towel mod?
Thank you cskippy,

It is just a triple-ply foil SOPALIN paper towel saturated with the ink of a black permanent marker:
activite-graphisme-simple.jpg

By the way, I also have added foam square on the inner side of the driver, with the same shape and cut as fpantalone did, but with creatology foam. No more ringing! And to finish with the mod: Audeze black vegan pads.
x45c8w.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4,969 of 8,051
I wonder how much of the change is due to the fact that you have significantly covered some of the slots in the plate?

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #4,970 of 8,051
Very nice! Make sure you line up those slits with the metal.
I wonder how much of the change is due to the fact that you have significantly covered some of the slots in the plate?
I have changed the pictures to show you how I did mine, with the creatology foam.
I just took the picture
x45c8w.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #4,973 of 8,051
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #4,974 of 8,051
Regarding the marker on the paper towels, I thought about using a black dye on paper towels. I was concerned that saturating the paper fibers and letting them dry would significantly change the way the paper interacts with the back waves of the driver. Meaning they would not produce the same sound as the normal paper towels. dpm78, did you try before and after blackening the towels? Did you notice any differences?

THX

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #4,976 of 8,051
Thank you cskippy,

It is just a triple-ply foil SOPALIN paper towel saturated with the ink of a black permanent marker:
activite-graphisme-simple.jpg

By the way, I also have added foam square on the inner side of the driver, with the same shape and cut as fpantalone did, but with creatology foam. No more ringing! And to finish with the mod: Audeze black vegan pads.
x45c8w.jpg

Nice! I'm going to give the creatology foam mode a try some time this week and report back with results. Glad to hear it resolved the ringing issues you were experiencing.

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #4,977 of 8,051
Regarding the marker on the paper towels, I thought about using a black dye on paper towels. I was concerned that saturating the paper fibers and letting them dry would significantly change the way the paper interacts with the back waves of the driver. Meaning they would not produce the same sound as the normal paper towels. dpm78, did you try before and after blackening the towels? Did you notice any differences?

THX
Hard to say, regarding a difference in the sound signature by blackening the paper towel, since I have made so many changes on the headphones.
However, I still have some virgin paper towel, I might give it a try again tonight, to make some comparison.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #4,980 of 8,051
All of these can be had for under $200...All are open... and the M560 are planar...
I am looking to get an open set that will allow me to enjoy Jazz/Rock occasional metal and techno...
M560== $189
DT 880==$199
HD 598==$169

...I know the HD 600 are $269 right now...but they are too far past my budget.
I listen to jazz from Hiromi-sonny clark- etc....rock alter bridge, Satriani, etc...

OR...If someone can recommend anything not listed, it would be appreciated.
Funny, I have been toying with getting a pair of the M560 phones. I know everyone is ranting on their big brother, but I think having a " convertible" headphone would be great. I am guessing you could eq in more bass if it is needed. My big question is how detailed are the M560 compared to the M1060?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back