Monster Turbine PRO's better than Denon AH-C710's?
Sep 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Totally Dubbed

aka 1337 Gamer
aka totallydubbed2
aka TotallydubbedHD
UPDATE:
Tried the se535's and they were nice however few things:
-Didn't have as much bass as I expected. Much better than the W2's though (from what I remember) however putting £280 odd pounds for earphones that don't give me as much bass, isn't up my street....more so, although they were nice, they didn't wow me.
I know this is to be noted about the se535's but still...wasn't too impressed.

It looks like BA drivers really aren't for me.

So I need some dynamics.
Looked into the FX700's, GR8's, ex1000's, monsters' copper/golds, IE8.

The only ones in that list that I will consider are the monsters.

So my question is:
-Are they worth it?
-Will i see any difference between my current pair the C710's and the monsters?
-If so why, if not why.

OLD is below:

As the title says :p

I was wondering recently to slash out on some earphones...
I was in-between:

-Monster coppers/golds (more likely golds...)
-SE535
-W3

I like bass...so I don't know if the W3's fit the bill simply because I owned the W2's and sold them as they have BA drivers...

I currently own the Denon C710's - which are great!

Was wondering if I could get a step up, or if I would actually hear a difference. I know hearing is subjective, but I would like to know if any previous 710 owners had upgraded and felt that it was a worthy upgrade or not.

I was also thinking:
Brand new or second hand (ie. ebay or head-fi *more likely to be via head-fi*)

Brand new = no warranty issues
Used = I don't know where I would stand? Anyone care to explain would be greatly appreciated.

ie.
If I buy some golds from the US, and they haven't claimed that warranty, then what would happen, if something went wrong 8 months after my purchase?
Who's name...etc

Responses are greatly appreciated!

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 56
Out of those 3, I'd actually go for the W3. From what I've read, the bass packs a lot of punch for a BA phone and the SE535 will definitely sound softer in the lower regions by comparison. I'm not too sure about the Monsters, but if you already had W2's, you'd probably find them a drastic change. If bass is your thing, you might be better suited to the MTPG or MTPC. They're supposedly very dynamic and fun-sounding phones.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 56

Quote:
Out of those 3, I'd actually go for the W3. From what I've read, the bass packs a lot of punch for a BA phone and the SE535 will definitely sound softer in the lower regions by comparison. I'm not too sure about the Monsters, but if you already had W2's, you'd probably find them a drastic change. If bass is your thing, you might be better suited to the MTPG or MTPC. They're supposedly very dynamic and fun-sounding phones.

Sorry mate I can't agree.
BA's are definitely WORSE than dynamics in the bass department...
My W2's got outclassed in bass by my denon's and even my EX500's...
That's why i sold them.

I'm looking into the Shure's atm...might buy them today from head-fier :wink:

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 56

Sorry mate I can't agree.
BA's are definitely WORSE than dynamics in the bass department...
My W2's got outclassed in bass by my denon's and even my EX500's...
That's why i sold them.

I'm looking into the Shure's atm...might buy them today from head-fier :wink:

Yes, a dynamic will have more bass than a BA phone. The Shure SE535 and Westone 3 are both triple-BA phones though. And out of the two, the Westone 3 wins in bass hands-down based on everything I've read. If you still can't deal with the signature of a BA, go for the Monsters instead.

Edit: I read that the SE535 used triple microdrivers rather than triple-BA. However, they were still described as being 'softer' in the lows than the Westone 4. And the Westone 3 has a lot more bass than the Westone 4.

Edit AGAIN: And again, I've read that the SE535 *does* use balanced armatures (although they call these 'microdrivers' in their advertising). Based on your OP, it's the worst choice in your list.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 56
I was enquiring lol...
So W3's are: £250
And the se535's which seem to be worse vs. the W3's are "used" £250?

Why are the se535's more expensive?

Higher price not = better - I'm just curious...

And thanks a LOT for the info guys - i really do appreciate the input.

So you would say the W3's are a good choice, but also the £100 cheaper alternative golds might even be better suited for me?

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 56
I was enquiring lol...

So you would say the W3's are a good choice, but also the £100 cheaper alternative golds might even be better suited for me?

Maybe because Shure is a brand you're more likely to find at a store like Best Buy (which does carry the SE535 online)? I wouldn't know for sure, but most products that pack value (as in, are a lot cheaper than competing products) tend to be less accessible. Otherwise, they might actually sell at a level equal to or above their competition, and why should they sell cheaper at that point?

As for whether or not the golds are better suited to you, I wouldn't be able to tell you that. They will be more dynamic and have more bass, but that may be as far as they go for you. Someone looking for the articulate and detailed sounds of a BA phone probably wouldn't choose the Golds.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #10 of 56

Quote:
Quote:
I was enquiring lol...

Maybe because Shure is a brand you're more likely to find at a store like Best Buy (which does carry the SE535 online)? I wouldn't know for sure, but most products that pack value (as in, are a lot cheaper than competing products) tend to be less accessible. Otherwise, they might actually sell at a level equal to or above their competition, and why should they sell cheaper at that point?

As for whether or not the golds are better suited to you, I wouldn't be able to tell you that. They will be more dynamic and have more bass, but that may be as far as they go for you. Someone looking for the articulate and detailed sounds of a BA phone probably wouldn't choose the Golds.

I would have agreed if Westone weren't a US based company bro...
W's in US are much cheaper...

W2's i loved but lacked that punchy bass...now that you say the se535's are = with the w3's or even less bassier...makes me think back to the w2's...
So confused right now..

I mean it seems that brand new W3's seem to be a better bet for me right now...
I say brand new, as buying used westone's and dealing with the US is a pain.
They never replied to my enquiry when I had the w2's...
But i went via HHA where i bought them from and they were an authorised dealer + excellent CS.

I'm in contact with Shure atm about used phones...

In other words:
I can buy used shure, but brand new westone's
Both = £250 around that price...

se535 & w3's = both have 3 drivers or?
Sorry for being a noob out of the water loool

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #11 of 56

W2's i loved but lacked that punchy bass...now that you say the se535's are = with the w3's or even less bassier...makes me think back to the w2's...
So confused right now..

But i went via HHA where i bought them from and they were an authorised dealer + excellent CS.

In other words:

Being U.S.-based doesn't mean much if people can't walk into a store and pick up your product. The average consumer isn't going to buy a Westone, but a lot of people have heard of or used Shure products from headphones to microphones.

If you demo'd the W3's previously, shouldn't you know the answer to your own question? If they have the sound you're looking for, go for them. If not, go for the MTPG or MTPC.

And yes, both of those phones have triple balanced armatures.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #12 of 56

Quote:
Quote:

So confused right now..

In other words:

Being U.S.-based doesn't mean much if people can't walk into a store and pick up your product. The average consumer isn't going to buy a Westone, but a lot of people have heard of or used Shure products from headphones to microphones.

If you demo'd the W3's previously, shouldn't you know the answer to your own question? If they have the sound you're looking for, go for them. If not, go for the MTPG or MTPC.

And yes, both of those phones have triple balanced armatures.

It would have been easy choice without the se535's being released...
So you guys all say w3 > se535

And what about w3 vs MTPG?

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #13 of 56
This is the way I see it

MTPG @£190 from iheaphones/amazon
Pro:
Look nice, easy to wear, no over the ear, nice warranty - as in they can replace if anything happens, good price
Cons:
How the heck do i get them changed if I have any problems...as in 1 year down the line, who do i contact?

W3 @£250 from HHA/iheaphones/advanced mp3
Pro:
Good bass, soundstage, 3 drivers, will receive good customer service if needs be via HHA, previous W2 owner
Cons:
non-detachable wire (saying that I have a 2 yrs warranty), BA drivers...maybe not as good in bass?

SE535: @£310 from iheadphones/amazon, and @£250 from head-fier (brand new, replaced by shure)
Pro:
Detachable wires, good SQ, Good shure customer service
Cons:
Ba-esk drivers? Lacking bass? too flat of sound sig?

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 56
Based on your posts, I'd remove the SE535's from the running solely on the fact they have a sound signature you probably won't like. The W3's will be both an improvement and a change from the W2's (having more bass). I can't say if you'll find the MTPG's an improvement over your W2's in terms of overall sound, but they'll definitely be a more drastic change than the W3's will (a lot more bass, more dynamic signature). It comes down to what you're willing to spend and how much you want to get away from the W2 sound. I can't really help you any more than that, as I haven't heard any of the IEM's mentioned in this thread.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 56

Quote:
Based on your posts, I'd remove the SE535's from the running solely on the fact they have a sound signature you probably won't like. The W3's will be both an improvement and a change from the W2's (having more bass). I can't say if you'll find the MTPG's an improvement over your W2's in terms of overall sound, but they'll definitely be a more drastic change than the W3's will (a lot more bass, more dynamic signature). It comes down to what you're willing to spend and how much you want to get away from the W2 sound. I can't really help you any more than that, as I haven't heard any of the IEM's mentioned in this thread.

Well you are the only one that has helped so far :wink:

Thanks for your time dude!
Will look into it, and would encourage others to post their opinions too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back