Moondrop ZERO electrostatic reveal.
Jul 3, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 30
Shame that Moondrops tunes their products for that harman-esque, pushy and screechy upper midrange frequency response. The Starfields were unlisteneable to me for that reason and pretty much everything they release follows the same tuning, this headphones included. So close yet so far, not for me I guess :frowning2:

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 30
0qow5jm0pb991.jpg

aknk8jm0pb991.jpg

Void looks cheap :thinking:

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #18 of 30
Shame that Moondrops tunes their products for that harman-esque, pushy and screechy upper midrange frequency response. The Starfields were unlisteneable to me for that reason and pretty much everything they release follows the same tuning, this headphones included. So close yet so far, not for me I guess :frowning2:
I personally like it, their SSRs are one of my favorite IEMs, but I get that it's not for everybody.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #21 of 30
Not a great first impression. Obviously though it's only one person's opinion.

"
First of all, I got to try these out in the Chengdu international headphones expo. that's how I was able to listen to these.

the moondrop headphones were not very impressive. they were nowhere near what this community is setting them out to be. they are definitely not up to the standard we would expect from moondrop from their iems.

the void: the void was just okay. it had no foam in the earcups and was made worse by the fact that they weren't deep enough. they touched my ears a lot and was a bit uncomfortable. but I believe this is because this is a demo unit. but by adding foam it will make it more muted so I don't know how moondrop is going to go on this. they were bassy maybe a little bit bloated. I was not impressed of how it sounded. this was made worse because I was sitting with a ton of people talking next to me. given the choice I will rather buy the he400se which in here it is priced at $100

the Venus: not much to say about this one. pretty much sounds the same as the void but with slightly better technicalities. which is a given considering these are humongous. these were around 1~2 cm larger than the audeze LCD x. it was very clear that this was a demo unit. the machining was bad due to the point that it felt uncomfortable turning the earcups. but again, it's a demo unit problem.

the moonzero: didn't get to hear this due to time constraints but I saw one literally get dismantle right next to me. not a good impression.

all in all, the moondrop headphones were disappointing. if you still want to buy these, go ahead, but these aren't worth it in my opinion.
"

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/vqdvdi/regarding_the_new_moondrop_headphones/

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #22 of 30

"
First of all, I got to try these out in the Chengdu international headphones expo. that's how I was able to listen to these.

the moondrop headphones were not very impressive. they were nowhere near what this community is setting them out to be. they are definitely not up to the standard we would expect from moondrop from their iems.

the void: the void was just okay. it had no foam in the earcups and was made worse by the fact that they weren't deep enough. they touched my ears a lot and was a bit uncomfortable. but I believe this is because this is a demo unit. but by adding foam it will make it more muted so I don't know how moondrop is going to go on this. they were bassy maybe a little bit bloated. I was not impressed of how it sounded. this was made worse because I was sitting with a ton of people talking next to me. given the choice I will rather buy the he400se which in here it is priced at $100

the Venus: not much to say about this one. pretty much sounds the same as the void but with slightly better technicalities. which is a given considering these are humongous. these were around 1~2 cm larger than the audeze LCD x. it was very clear that this was a demo unit. the machining was bad due to the point that it felt uncomfortable turning the earcups. but again, it's a demo unit problem.

the moonzero: didn't get to hear this due to time constraints but I saw one literally get dismantle right next to me. not a good impression.

all in all, the moondrop headphones were disappointing. if you still want to buy these, go ahead, but these aren't worth it in my opinion.
"

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/vqdvdi/regarding_the_new_moondrop_headphones/
Thanks for sharing you early impressions. Hopefully many of the issues you identified will be ironed out before their official release. I'm really excited about Moondrop's entrance into the full-sized headphone space. They've made a big splash in the IEM world. I'm running the Kato on my Hiby R5GII in class-a balanced mode and can't get enough of the combo. Great synergy. Looking forward to reading more impressions of these headphones as they roll out to reviewers.

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 30
Nice, Chinese design that surpasses Hifiman's build/design quality. Hope the sound surpasses as well! I know Moondrop actually tunes their iems, so I'm curious if their approach to their headphones is the same and we get some good tonality as result?

I hope this is the new age of well built Chinese headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #24 of 30
Wow, screechy is far from the impressions you usually get of their tunings. There's many treble peaky iems going for thousands of dollars. I never experienced Moondrop's tuning to be so unbearable. Usually, it's pretty tame.

Due to their tuning controls, I'm looking forward to what they have to offer in the full-sized headphone space.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #25 of 30
Wow, screechy is far from the impressions you usually get of their tunings. There's many treble peaky iems going for thousands of dollars. I never experienced Moondrop's tuning to be so unbearable. Usually, it's pretty tame.

Due to their tuning controls, I'm looking forward to what they have to offer in the full-sized headphone space.

Boosted midbass and upper mids, typical Harman response curve stuff. It is what it is :frowning2:
Many IEMs being worse and more expensive doesn't unboost the midbass and upper mids of the Moondrops, just gives a context of how bad many IEMs sound.

Jul 11, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #26 of 30
Nice to see some new affordable offerings.

I take limited show impressions with a grain of salt. Many tunings are a taste that needs to be acquired, over time. And often headphones that sound great out of the gate can turn to disappointment once the weak points become apparent.

Kind of sad that we’ve reach such inflated headphone price points that $199 and $599 now seem budget.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #27 of 30

"

"

Ouch. Thanks for your impressions. I wonder if it's just that much harder to make an over ear vs an iem. I'm sure everyone was hoping they'd bring the same value into their new line, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Hopefully there is a lot of fine tuning to come.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #28 of 30
Was the moondrop zero ever released?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back