Most comfortable headphones for under $400?
Feb 16, 2018 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

NullFear

New Head-Fier
I would like to sell some of my other headphones to get a nicer pair. I want comfort to be the priority this time because I plan on wearing them for long periods of time. I want a list of some of the most comfortable headphones you know so that I can then pick out of those based on sound quality.

Desired features:
* Under $400
* Wear for possibly several hours without any head pain if possible
* Ideally includes bluetooth functionality with option to connect cable
* Noise cancelling would be a plus

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 14
The first one that comes to mind is the Oppo PM3. Great comfort, falls right at your budget, easy to drive, portable and the isolation is great. It's not Bluetooth but if great sound is a priority I'd just deal with the cable.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 14
I'm going to list the headphones that I own that meet your criteria, in the order I would recommend them in:
- Sennheiser HD569 (or anything from their 5xx line). Extremely comfortable and good sound quality.
- JBL E65BT. Amazing ANC, comfortable, decent sound quality
- Audioquest Nighthawk. Innovative design and great comfort. Odd sound signature. You're gonna love it or hate it.
- Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00. Great if you love bass. They are quite comfortable but a bit but and bulky for me. The lack of clamping force makes them kind of "hang out" on your head, a sensation that I don't like that much.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 14
I second the TH-X00! I forgot about that can. If the vacuum cleaner cord doesn't bother you that is definitely a good one to look at. Just keep in mind that they don't isolate as well some of the other closed cans out there.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 14
phpp, for the Sennheiser HD569s, how well do they isolate sound without ANC?

As for the JBL E65BT, does the ANC still work without bluetooth on? Sometimes I may want to just make a noisy environment quieter but don't feel like listening to music.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 14
Nullfear: The Senns isolate pretty well, enough for an open office. I wouldn't take them on public transit or a flight.
On the JBLs, the ANC does indeed work in wired mode, just hold down on the button that turns ANC on and off.

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Hi Nullfear,

Oppo PM 3 are a good option as Gc335 said & since I own the PM 3, I would add if you choose the PM 3, consider the balanced cable for later as it gives a wider rear facing sound as opposed to stock which is narrow & front facing.

For bluetooth with good noise cancelling, go the Sony WH 1000X M2 as they are perhaps the best NC wireless headphones I have tried so far enough to actually get one.

Always demo with quality sources.

Hope this helps.

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 14
If the TH-x00 are considered, I suggest the Sony MDR-1A! Can be had for ~150$, Bluetooth version for ~250$. I have both the TH-x00 and MDR-1A, and while the TH-x00 are comfortable, the MDR-1A are in another league and by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. Funny enough, I purchased them (ebay 135$) as my portable headphones, yet I rarely use the TH-x00 anymore.
I wouldn't be able to make a worthwhile reading comparison of the two to save my life, but they sound pretty similar to me!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 14
Bose QC35 II.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 14
Audioquest Nighthawk, Beyerdynamic T70 with T5P earpads (T5P earpads are about $40), Beyerdynamic DT880, Bang & Olufsen H9 (haven't tried the H9 but I used to own the H6 and I believe the H9 has the same earpads and design as the H6 and that was a very comfortable headphone).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back