Most Neutral Phono Cartridge Under $200 USD?
Jun 16, 2019 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TronII

Head-Fier
I have an Audio Technica LP-120 turntable with an AT95E cartridge and am looking to upgrade. I've heard about Ortofon 2M Reds, but saw the Blue (which claimed to be more linear and less warm than the Red.) However, the Blue is double the price of the Red, and that claim seems suspect to me, due to the popularity of the Red. But it also seems to me that there are better values in the same price range as the 2M Red (such as the Sumiko Pearl), which makes me wonder if the Red is really the best value in the price range. What should I get? Is the 2M Red really the best in its price range as of right now?

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 3
Three-quarters, if not more, of the sound of a phono cartridge comes from the stylus. Look for a Shibata stylus, at least (better than Elliptical), something called a "fine-line" or Jico's SAS or similar. Nude is also good and some exotic materials in the cantilever like boron, sapphire, or beryllium. You probably won't be able to find or afford all of that, but the Shibata cut is superior. I like this Audio-Technica, but mostly because I have Technics linear-tracking turntables (SL-10, SL-7):
https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATSER05S.html

You also might just call LPGear. They can probably help you more.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 3
Three-quarters, if not more, of the sound of a phono cartridge comes from the stylus. Look for a Shibata stylus, at least (better than Elliptical), something called a "fine-line" or Jico's SAS or similar. Nude is also good and some exotic materials in the cantilever like boron, sapphire, or beryllium. You probably won't be able to find or afford all of that, but the Shibata cut is superior. I like this Audio-Technica, but mostly because I have Technics linear-tracking turntables (SL-10, SL-7):
https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATSER05S.html

You also might just call LPGear. They can probably help you more.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back