Most overrated headphones?
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #736 of 1,490
I have the K701, and it's a amazing phone. Their accuracy is astonishing, which means if you feed them junk, you'll get junk. They are underrated IMO. Tho I think AKG is very underrated period. Same with Yamaha.
The K-701 is very power hungry in a way, very sensitive to the voltage and current fed to it. The higher the grade of amp the better with these beasts. A fiio e11 is about as low as you can go on the amp front even the e11 struggles to meet the k701 demand (in my observation) forget direct drive from mobiles(with the exception of Cowons).
I've actually have yet to hear a AKG I didn't like.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #737 of 1,490
Quote:
I have the K701, and it's a amazing phone. Their accuracy is astonishing, which means if you feed them junk, you'll get junk. They are underrated IMO. Tho I think AKG is very underrated period. Same with Yamaha.
The K-701 is very power hungry in a way, very sensitive to the voltage and current fed to it. The higher the grade of amp the better with these beasts. A fiio e11 is about as low as you can go on the amp front even the e11 struggles to meet the k701 demand (in my observation) forget direct drive from mobiles(with the exception of Cowons).

I guess i mustn't have fed them enough power yet, hope i can get hands on a better amp/source in the future to try them out again. I do think they sound really nice, i just find it quite expensive.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #738 of 1,490
Quote:

I would have to agree that the K701 is a good headphone, something that I didn't always believe. EQ down that mid peak and you have the most neutral headphone you will get in its price range. Could afford to have a little more bass though. DT880 bass plus K701 everything else would be fantastic.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #741 of 1,490
Quote:

Try the K167, its awful. IMO.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #742 of 1,490

Ill give em a go when I have the money. I need to focus on credit card debt right now. Ill look em up tho. Most of the AKGs people have said were awful arnt tho like I read headrooms review on the K270s and well I can't find anything wrong with them and they sound amazing IMO lol but I guess it all depends on the listener..... Hahaha look at those who rave about beats or skullcandy hahahaha

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #743 of 1,490
Quote:
Quote:

Ill give em a go when I have the money. I need to focus on credit card debt right now. Ill look em up tho. Most of the AKGs people have said were awful arnt tho like I read headrooms review on the K270s and well I can't find anything wrong with them and they sound amazing IMO lol but I guess it all depends on the listener..... Hahaha look at those who rave about beats or skullcandy hahahaha

I haven't heard the K701/2/Q701 but I've held them in my hands. They felt like $50. They looked like what was a full plastic build and felt very cheap.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #745 of 1,490
Quote:

According to golden ear website the srh940 has much better csd.

Versus :

I don't know if there's an error. But to my ear the srh940 just sounds faster.

SRH940 is very very fast. But I remember HD800 as being quick too. I don't think I'll be able to tell which is faster. (though I only heard 800 for like 15mins)

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #746 of 1,490
Quote:
SRH940 is very very fast. But I remember HD800 as being quick too. I don't think I'll be able to tell which is faster. (though I only heard 800 for like 15mins)

Great that you agree with me, regarding the speed of the srh940. The hd800 is quick (compared to the other senn headphones) ,  but sounds a bit slow when you are used to the srh940.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #747 of 1,490
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't heard the K701/2/Q701 but I've held them in my hands. They felt like $50. They looked like what was a full plastic build and felt very cheap.

Thank goodness you shared this.  Best not even to plug in a headphone before evaluating it on a public forum.  

I never commented on the sound. I never said anything about sound. It was at Best Buy and they had it plugged it to some weird source, so I just felt it to see if it felt like $250. It did not. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #748 of 1,490

Hmmm felt solid to me, yeah it's plastic so what? Still has been sturdy. Lasted much longer than my buddy's beats, most sonys I've had, and def feels more durable than my sr60i.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #749 of 1,490
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm felt solid to me, yeah it's plastic so what? Still has been sturdy. Lasted much longer than my buddy's beats, most sonys I've had, and def feels more durable than my sr60i.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-Pro-Headphones-250/dp/B001B1QENY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365220370&sr=8-1&keywords=DT880
Full metal build(well, almost.)

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #750 of 1,490
Quote:

Agreed. Most headphones now are made of plastic of some kind, including up to the HD800. You don't want sound waves hitting metal. 

Quote:

The only parts that are metal are the yolk and maybe the screen. I know the DT990's screen is plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back