MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #196 of 2,583
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #197 of 2,583
@Schwibbles ... Thank-you, good to know.
Yw.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Ether Flow to compare them to, but I do have an assortment of other headphones. I won't be home until tomorrow but if I remember, I'll take some pictures comparing the Aeon's pads to other popular headphones (listed in my signature).

I noticed you own the HD650. The pads on the Aeon feel much roomier than the HD6XX series.

Something else to note - my left ear does lightly touch the driver on the Aeon Closed. This doesn't happen to me on the open model. I can't see any real difference in pad depth so I'm going to attribute that to the pads being used extensively. I have 150+ hours on my Aeon closed vs only ~3 on the open.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #198 of 2,583
@Schwibbles ... that would be useful, thank-you. If you have a moment ...

I am thinking of moving from HD650 to AFO ... had the HD650 since I started but it's now time to get something else and different. I'd like less warmth, better grip (control) on the bass (but not bass-head levels !) and a wider soundstage ... but don't want to lose the mids.

Would you say, in your opinion, I could achieve my objectives with AFO ?

My main music genre is Jazz.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #200 of 2,583
@Schwibbles ... that would be useful, thank-you. If you have a moment ...

I am thinking of moving from HD650 to AFO ... had the HD650 since I started but it's now time to get something else and different. I'd like less warmth, better grip (control) on the bass (but not bass-head levels !) and a wider soundstage ... but don't want to lose the mids.

Would you say, in your opinion, I could achieve my objectives with AFO ?

My main music genre is Jazz.
I have only heard the HD650 on one occasion so I won't be able to give you a direct comparison. I have only listened to the AFO for a few hours and they will need many, many more to be fully burned in. I also need a lot more time to really dissect what I'm hearing. That being said, they seem to be warmer than the HD600. The AFO still have a wonderful midrange so that definitely won't be a negative. From memory, the AFO do have better bass extension, treble extension, and treble presence than the HD650. Unfortunately, that's all I can say for now.

I have yet to listen to any jazz on the AFO.

I'm going to a meet in about a week so I may be able to compare them directly to the HD650 then.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #201 of 2,583
I've been listening to a lot of Hiromi and Snarky Puppy with the AFOs. I've seen Hiromi live a number of times, and am thrilled with the way the AFO sounds on her recordings - has the same textures and space as the live sound. I can hear a lot of detail particularly with Simon Phillips' drum crosstalk and resonance.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #202 of 2,583
I've been listening to a lot of Hiromi and Snarky Puppy with the AFOs. I've seen Hiromi live a number of times, and am thrilled with the way the AFO sounds on her recordings - has the same textures and space as the live sound. I can hear a lot of detail particularly with Simon Phillips' drum crosstalk and resonance.
Just curious - what is your source, dac, amp, etc that you are using?

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #203 of 2,583
for anyone unfamiliar with Snarky Puppy, I think this is a really cool video! Buddy showed it to me and it always stuck with me. I also don't think the sound quality is too bad for youtube.
Sweet Snarky Puppy Song
Something to listen to while you wait for your Aeon opens to come :)

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #204 of 2,583
for anyone unfamiliar with Snarky Puppy, I think this is a really cool video! Buddy showed it to me and it always stuck with me. I also don't think the sound quality is too bad for youtube.
Sweet Snarky Puppy Song

Awesome tune from an awesome band. One of my favorite albums (We Like It Here) not a bad song on it.

Thanks for sharing that!

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #205 of 2,583
I just got my Afo a couple hours ago. Nice all around head phones. They lack some bottom end imo. The sound stage is just right to my ears. Classical sounds great, almost as good as the he560. Hip hop and electronic are lacking a little. They are pretty close to neutral without sounding boring. Overall they do most things well.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #207 of 2,583
Just curious - what is your source, dac, amp, etc that you are using?

Right now totally budget - Tidal HiFi (the good part), MacBookPro headphone output (the less good). Still sounds great but I know there is more there.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #208 of 2,583
Awesome tune from an awesome band. One of my favorite albums (We Like It Here) not a bad song on it.

Thanks for sharing that!

I've been listening to Sylva which is them with the Metropole Orkest. Amazing stuff.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #210 of 2,583
Sweet Snarky Puppy Song

How do you compare the focal clear to the afo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back