MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #451 of 2,583
Hello All,

2 questions please.

1. Does anyone have an FR comparison of the AFO Vs AFC? Maybe Dan himself?

2. I listen to my 650s lying down with just a pillow. Will these slide off my head when lying down? I just got so used to this position that alone is almost a deal breaker!

Other than that congrats to Dan for a great release at a not crazy price. I'm itching to upgrade to these from my 650s but I'm waiting for Tyll's verdict to see if the Opens sound as good as the Closed.

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #452 of 2,583
My own thoughts on MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open.

I bought the Aeon Flow Open (AFO) as an upgrade to the Sennheiser HD650 that I have had for about 2 years. They are my first planar-magnetics. In fact, up till now, all my headphones have been Sennheiser so I am pretty familiar with their sound signature. The HD650 have delivered an appealing sound to me, particularly as I have moved up the equipment ladder. On the Schiit Mjolnir 2 (MJ2), via XLR, they are particularly good, with the right tubes. But, it was time to consider whether I could get something along similar lines but higher up on the sound quality scale ... when the AFO were launched they were an obvious candidate. I did briefly consider the Focal Clear but at twice the price I declined them. Another option I considered was the Sennheiser HD660S but I wasn't convinced they would deliver enough over the HD650, although I did not manage to audition them.

I was looking for some improvements over the HD650, particularly in the bass and soundstage presentation. I wasn't particularly looking for 'more' bass, indeed with the MJ2 they do produce a reasonable 'thud'. I was more after control at the low end, better definition and less woolliness.

The AFO were promptly delivered to me in France by Electromod UK. Excellent service BTW. They come in an attractive presentation box, with the phones inside the sculptured case, which is a tough clamshell design that hold the phones securely. There is a net pouch on the lid for the cable and there should be enough space in there for a DAP as well.

The AFO are an unusual tear-drop design but most attractive, with the hexagonal mesh on the ear-cups. I love the dark blue colour of the shells. Apart from the single pivot bearing on each earphone, there are no other hinges on the headband assembly. The flexible, almost fragile looking, Nitinol wire frame provides sufficient clamp-force to keep the ear-cups sealed against the head, although not uncomfortably so. I'm of the opinion that flexible headbands like that on the AFO afford better comfort than a fixed headband. Adjustment on the AFO is effortless and essentially self-adjusting laterally as one puts them on. The pad material is soft leather-feel and is probably better for a good seal than velour. I found them comfortable to wear for hours on end.

During my listening, I paired the AFO with a Schiit Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2, both with NOS tubes (GE 5670W & GE 5670 5-Star respectively), all at normal listening levels (not loud and at Lo Gain). Unsurprisingly, the best result is with the Mjolnir ... this is an excellent pairing, although I have absolutely no complaints with the LYR 2. I mostly listen to acoustic jazz, although I also have some classic rock in my collection.

It was clear from an initial out of the box listen that the AFO do require some running in. I feel they settle down considerably after about 25-30 hours, so, not a lot of run-in required IMO to get the best out of the AFO. Perhaps they will improve further with more time.

The following are snippets from my listening notes, as I played through some good quality recordings ... mostly from a musical perspective.

The first thing I noticed was the incisive but natural presentation, a bit warm of neutral to my ears, with a two-notch tuning pad in place (these are a nice touch). The overall sound presentation is airy and spacious ... slightly wider than the HD650 with more precise instrument placement. On the album 'Live in Monteal' by Hiromi there is just a piano and a harp ... the stage is well dimensioned here - piano clearly on the left & obviously more forward - Harp on the right, set clearly further back. I love the sound this harp makes in a jazz context.

The ambient echoes in both live and studio venues are detailed and lingering. Live recordings, such as Eva Cassidy Live at The Blue Note, are wonderfully convincing.

These are 'fast' headphones ... the music flows effortlessly with impressive transients. I am impressed with the detailed, delicate timbral nuances that are produced. Instruments like piano (especially high-mid block chords) and vibrophone, which are difficult to reproduce, ring out in a natural way with little or no glare. On the album 'Hand with You' by Steve Shehan, the unusual shimmering pan drums are a joy to listen to on these headphones.

Drum resonant decay tones (on rim-shots and tom-toms particularly) are clean, tight and palpably realistic ... a good example is Brian Blade on 'Trilogy' by the Chick Corea Trio, his drum solo on the 'Fingerprints' track ... is stunning. On the same album, there is a wonderful clear delicacy on his light-tap cymbals .... when he hits harder, the cymbal splash and shimmer is majestic and rings out realistically.

Listening to the album 'Revisiting Grapelli' by Mathias Levy, the violin strings are variously plucked and deliberately mis-plucked ... these come across with alarming clarity and vividness.

The acid test for me as a bass player is how well bass-lines are presented. I am not in the least disappointed ... bass 'quality' is good-to-excellent. Listening to Modern Art by Daniel Humair, the double-bass goes really deep with a clear and satisfying grumble. Christian McBride on Trilogy comes across equally well with plucks and bowing that appear to defy possibility from a headphone.

Compared to the HD650 ... the Sennheiser gives a much thicker presentation. This tends to dull the overall sound presentation with bass being considerably affected. The AFO are less warm with a more refined, tighter weight and body quality to the sound. I can unhesitatingly recommend the AFO as an upgrade over the HD650, albeit at a fair jump in price.

In short, this is a thoroughly addictive headphone ... they make you sit up and really listen ... and at the price, great value for money.

Well done and informative review. Very helpful, indeed as I try to figure-out if these headphones are exactly what I’m looking for. I now live in a rural area of the country with zero chance of listening to the AFO before purchasing.

As well as owning the HD650’s, I also own the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro (really, really nice pair of cans I enjoy nighly) and would definitely like to read (the non existent) comprehensive comparison of the two. They are similarly priced, both with good build quality and build reputations.

Any help, P L E A S E!!!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #453 of 2,583
Hello All,

2 questions please.

2. I listen to my 650s lying down with just a pillow. Will these slide off my head when lying down? I just got so used to this position that alone is almost a deal breaker!

Other than that congrats to Dan for a great release at a not crazy price. I'm itching to upgrade to these from my 650s but I'm waiting for Tyll's verdict to see if the Opens sound as good as the Closed.

Thanks!

2 I have closed ones, quite narrow head and these have a tight (but not uncomfortable) grip. I sometimes lie with them on my pillow and no problem. Depending on the head position however, pillow pushes them a little upwards. These ( Closed) are sensitive for that and they change their signature a bit. But the seal wont break.

I wonder if the sound signature of the open ones also changes noticeably with the change of position.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #454 of 2,583
just arrived today.
with the default filters on i find some sibilance right of the box... the "sss" are way too hard for me compared to hd660s that has the best mids i've ever heard.
the bass and slam are way better instead. i like them very much.... i don't know if keep them or not. that sibilance is a deal breaker goddammit

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #455 of 2,583
Hello All,

2 questions please.

Thanks!

they don't slide. maybe you canìt go on a rollercoaster while wearing them but they definitly stay put :wink:

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #456 of 2,583
just arrived today.
with the default filters on i find some sibilance right of the box... the "sss" are way too hard for me compared to hd660s that has the best mids i've ever heard.
the bass and slam are way better instead. i like them very much.... i don't know if keep them or not. that sibilance is a deal breaker goddammit

I found some glare (could be your sibilance) when I tried them straight out of the box ... IME they need about 25-30 hours before any critical listening ... beyond that, I sensed small improvements in the soundstage definition. I'm using the 2-notch pads but that is a personal preference.

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #457 of 2,583
I found some glare (could be your sibilance) when I tried them straight out of the box ... IME they need about 25-30 hours before any critical listening ... beyond that, I sensed small improvements in the soundstage definition. I'm using the 2-notch pads but that is a personal preference.

ok i'll let them burn in some time. personally i don't believe in burn in but now i hope that is a real thing!!! asd

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #458 of 2,583
ok i'll let them burn in some time. personally i don't believe in burn in but now i hope that is a real thing!!! asd

Also recommended by MrSpeakers in an earlier post ... whether one believes or not.

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #459 of 2,583
That is not the case. We have made it very clear what gear we use, it's a GRAS 45CA using Diffuse Field compensation. This has been the case for years and we almost always state this when we publish measurements.

Dan could you please share or link to AEON OPen Vs Closed frequency response charts?

It would be useful.to see the final differences.

Thank you

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #460 of 2,583
just arrived today.

burn it hard. I really hate sibilance. I hated sibilant HD800S and could not listen original Ether C without inserting the thickest white filter which came along with. After running it hard, AFO is not sibilant even with the basic filter.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #462 of 2,583
just arrived today.

Have you tried putting the pads in? I haven’t tried the open version yet but I personally prefer the close version with the included mod pads in. It changes the sound signature.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #463 of 2,583
at least 30 hours. Also do not under estimate other types of filters in the package. They do make difference in sound signature.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #464 of 2,583
how hard?? 50 hours?? more? thx

IMO, if you still don't like them at 50 hours then they might not be for you.

EDIT: ... but I would be surprised !!

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #465 of 2,583
I didn’t believe until I bought the Aeon closed. So sibilant I would wince. After ~50 hours it’s no longer sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back