MrSpeakers AEON vs LCD2
Jun 17, 2017 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Indoril

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using LCD2 (fazor) as my main cans however I'm unable to wear them for longer than 30-45mins or so due to them being so darn heavy and huge (clearly, girls are just not a target market for headphone manufacturers...*sigh*) At the end of the day no matter how much I love their sound if I can't really use them to listen to music (and enjoy it!) for an extended period of time, they are useless to me. So, I'm looking to replace them.

I have been looking for alternatives, I'm pretty dead set on planars and sadly most of them are pretty heavy. Recently I came across MrSpeaker's Aeon which seem to be pretty light and I thoroughly enjoyed my MadDogs waaaay back.

So, can anyone compare MrSpeakers Aeon vs Audeze LCD2? (particularly, how would you characterise bass, mid range, vocals especially and separation)
How about if I throw HE400i in the mix?
(I realise that it might be a step backwards from LCD2 but if it's the right signature AND comfortable to wear, I'm willing to take that step)

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 14
Aeon is way more comfortable,in fact its one of the more comfortable HPs Ive ever worn.If comfort is a major factor(and it sounds like it is)the Aeon should be at the top or close to the top of your list.

Sound wise I dont think theres much in common between the two...The Aeon is more neutral sounding.some,including myself,find it to be a bit bass light,others simply call that "balance"...YMMV.

LCD-2 has that prodigious bass extension that the Aeon simply cannot compete with.However at the end of the day I find the Aeon to be a better sounding HP...just my .02

As far as other HPs that compare to the Audeze I might suggest looking into the ZMF Atticus,its a dark-ish HP with better mids than the LCD-2,and insane bass slam thru certain amps(it is amp picky)...comfort is an upgrade as well,but not to the Aeon level

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the ZMF Atticus suggestion, they certainly sound appealing, especially the part about it having better mids than the LCD-2. As for amps my primary DAC/amp is the Chord Mojo, would that be able to drive them? (I also have ODAC/O2 and a Bottlehead Crack, but don't really use them)

And just to clarify I don't necessarily look for the exact same LCD-2 signature (although I'd like to keep the bass extension/quality), in fact I'd like something a bit more mid forward.

Jun 18, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the ZMF Atticus suggestion, they certainly sound appealing, especially the part about it having better mids than the LCD-2. As for amps my primary DAC/amp is the Chord Mojo, would that be able to drive them? (I also have ODAC/O2 and a Bottlehead Crack, but don't really use them)

And just to clarify I don't necessarily look for the exact same LCD-2 signature (although I'd like to keep the bass extension/quality), in fact I'd like something a bit more mid forward.
Yep,I have the Mojo too,great little device!
Both the Atticus,Aeon and even the Eikon are all pretty sensitive HPs,so a Mojo will drive them all easily.
The Atticus is said to be quite fond of tube amps,like your Bottlehead Crack.I have heard it twice,once it sounded insanely thumpy(in a good way)and then again last weekend at the Head-Fi NY meet...and it sounded completely void of slam,even Zach,the owner of ZMF was surprised just how neutral they sounded thru the amps he had on hand.

I would ask over in the Atticus/Eikon thread about your specific amps to get feedback from other members who actually own it already,im merely a future owner whose headphone fund is a bit short at the moment :frowning2:

The mids on the Atticus are def more forward than the LCD-2 and it slams harder too,but doesnt go down quite as far,so there are some trade-offs.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 14
Ive never given the LCD series much attention because of the comfort factor. If comfort is important, the Aeon will not disappoint. I've worn more comfortable dynamics, but not more comfortable planars. Its sound is excellent as well. Definitely worth an audition.

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 14
TBH I didnt find the LCD-2 to be too uncomfortable when I had my pair,but then again i kick back in a recliner when doing long listening sessions...Comfort is such a subjective thing,but Ive yet to see anyone complain about the Aeon being uncomfortable.

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 14
The Aeon's are very good headphones and are very comfortable to be sure but do not have the bass of the LCD's so there is some trade off for comfort. The Atticus is also very good and quite comfortable also but is not a light headphone either not LCD heavy but still has some weight to it.

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 14
To me, the AEON is a largely neutral headphone that is, as pointed out, extremely comfortable (much more so than the LCD-2 IMHO). I prefer its signature to that of the Audeze. It's hard to beat at its price.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks everyone! My main concern with so called "neutral" headphones isn't the flat freq response but often they are designed to sound very analytical and even clinical, I don't want to analyse my music, I want to enjoy it.
How analytical/enjoyable is the Aeon? How about the Atticus?

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks everyone! My main concern with so called "neutral" headphones isn't the flat freq response but often they are designed to sound very analytical and even clinical, I don't want to analyse my music, I want to enjoy it.
I wouldn't characterize the AEON as analytical, really. I would say it has a quite high enjoyment factor, actually--IMO. FWIW. And the Atticus is a headphone with a very high fun factor. The bass is something. My opinion, only and YMMV, of course.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 14

Neither are sterile HPs IMO.When I think sterile i think of bright,cold,soulless cans,and neither fit that description by a long shot. Both are indeed 'musical' and quite nice to listen to.

If you prefer a fairly even sound sig+supreme comfort+ease to drive,then I'd go for the Aeon.However if youre looking for a more fun HP with really heavy bass slam+good comfort+enjoy wooden,handmade HPs+dont mind making sure your amp(s) are up to the task then I'd opt for the Atticus.

Honestly cant go wrong with either one.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 14
With the Aeon, I've found myself tapping my foot to tracks I've heard many times before and listening way past a healthy bedtime. Definitely has the right sound signature for musical enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back