MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 22, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #2,867 of 2,891
Have any of you guys tried experimenting with different earpads to the stock ones?
If so, what are your findings?
The stock pads are the best. I tried all the ZMF options when I had my pair, and ended up with the Alpha pads in the end.

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #2,868 of 2,891
Have any of you guys tried experimenting with different earpads to the stock ones?
Just like Wes said the Alpha pads were the 'best' I've tried - they seem to have a pretty dense foam which helps with dynamics in the bass.
ZMF oval proteins were the best 3rd party pads aside though, still not as impressive as the stock ones in the bass and the 8khz peak was exacerbated a bit.

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #2,869 of 2,891
I tried a set of Dekoni lambskin pads with the Prime. You get a slightly brighter, flatter, and more neutral tone at the cost of bass and precious soundstage. I preferred the darker and 'funner' sound of the Alpha pads. And they're just so damn comfy as well.

Apr 22, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #2,870 of 2,891
The stock pads are the best. I tried all the ZMF options when I had my pair, and ended up with the Alpha pads in the end.

Just like Wes said the Alpha pads were the 'best' I've tried - they seem to have a pretty dense foam which helps with dynamics in the bass.
ZMF oval proteins were the best 3rd party pads aside though, still not as impressive as the stock ones in the bass and the 8khz peak was exacerbated a bit.

I tried a set of Dekoni lambskin pads with the Prime. You get a slightly brighter, flatter, and more neutral tone at the cost of bass and precious soundstage. I preferred the darker and 'funner' sound of the Alpha pads. And they're just so damn comfy as well.
Thanks guys,
I was pondering on possible alternatives, looks like i'll stick with stock pads when I decide to renew mine.

May 30, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,871 of 2,891
Hey all,

I've just picked up Alpha Prime and they are in need of some TLC.

Can anyone recommend a single ended cable that I can pick up as the original 6ft OEM cable is faulty?

The leather headband (not the fostex branded main one) that sits on your head is very worn and needs replacing. Is there any recommended alternative that's easy to fit?

Pads need replacing at they've gone very soft and they lose shape when worn. I will replace with new Alpha Pads.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #2,876 of 2,891
Cool I use my ragnarock for my speakers my tube amp for my headphones

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #2,877 of 2,891
Cool I use my ragnarock for my speakers my tube amp for my headphones
I’m purely using Rag 2 for headphones for the time being (Prime and LCD-3).

Will add speakers at a later date for some fun.

Before I do that, I am keen to save up for a used Yggy (OG) to pair with Rag 2. Going to take a while though!

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #2,878 of 2,891
@reddog After all these years since we started chatting back in 2014/15, at last I have a Ragnarok & Prime :)
Cool I use my Ragnarok to drive my speakers and headphones

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #2,879 of 2,891
Hey guys. Is anyone using Prime with Schiit Ragnarok 2?

Which gain settings are being used?

Is highest gain going to be too much?
I have used the Ragnarok on its highest setting but barely must I pump out the Volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back