MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 14, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #76 of 5,796
  Thanks, hmm.. so Ether C Flow bass (mid-bass) is between Ether C and Ether C 1.1? I've tried 1.1, it didn't help with the bass issue that I was experiencing... a bit disappointed already.

I think he was saying its between ETHER and ETHER C...

Correct.  Sorry for the confusion.  I was saying the Ether C Flow has midbass that's more than the Ether C (1.1) and less than the Ether (1.1).  That's a pretty big range, to be honest, so it's not SUPER informative, but it should be good news to anyone who wanted a bit more from the Ether C's mid-bass.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #77 of 5,796
Will an upgraded ETHER be equal to a purpose built ETHER Flow?
Sounds like it as they are replacing the driver assembly and grill. No mention of a different housing.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #78 of 5,796
I'm really tempted to get an Ether C Flow, as well as having my Ethers upgraded. Thing is, with my APs, this would be my 3rd MrSpeakers headphone. Between 2 DUM cables I already have and a couple DHC cables I've had made, I'd really super prefer NOT to pay for yet another DUM cable that will sit in a drawer without a single use.

Any chance of a discount no cable version for old loyal customers?

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #79 of 5,796
I'm really tempted to get an Ether C Flow, as well as having my Ethers upgraded. Thing is, with my APs, this would be my 3rd MrSpeakers headphone. Between 2 DUM cables I already have and a couple DHC cables I've had made, I'd really super prefer NOT to pay for yet another DUM cable that will sit in a drawer without a single use.

Any chance of a discount no cable version for old loyal customers?

Sounds like a question for PM or email.  I doubt he'd advertise it publicly if he is going to hook you up...

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #81 of 5,796
I may get this anyway. Glad I never pulled for the ETHER due to indecision. When do they go on sale?

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #82 of 5,796
Really hope the upgrade plan will be announced sooner, especially with my major local audiophile events coming at the end of this year. I'm a big Ether fan if this really gives quite an improvement then I hope I don't need to wait for too long especially how I'm stuck with Singaporean distributor for my home country :frowning2:

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #84 of 5,796
Looks interesting, just curious though will you need an Electrostat amp to use these? If so, that's a deal breaker for me as I'm set on amps. I really like my Ether C but find it to be a bit lacking in bass, and it's been losing head time to the Fostex TH-900 for desktop use recently. Will the Flow C improve the bass any? 

Also, I saw a note about upgrade availability for Ether owners in Jude's post but no mention of cost. Has that been announced yet? Could be very intriguing option if the cost is reasonable and no new amp is required.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #85 of 5,796
1) Why does the Ether Flow's rim look so similar to the Ether electrostatic (dark blue)? How can the two be differentiated from a looks perspective?

2) I notice one of the plastic 'bits / tags' on the headband has 'Flow' engraved on it, but the Ether C Flow does not seem to have this detail, how can Ether C Flow be differentiated from Ether C from aesthetics alone?

3) When original Ether owners send their cans in for upgrade to Ether flow, will the rims get changed from red to blue in addition to the drivers being replaced and the wave guides and the soft foam pads added? Can this upgrade be done locally through a distributor or must they be sent back to San Diego?

4) Is the impedance / drivability still the same as before for the Ether flow (compared to Ether)? Dealer said the Ethers could be driven well from AK380 + Amp or Mojo alone without desktop rig, hope this still stands  

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #86 of 5,796
I may get this anyway. Glad I never pulled for the ETHER due to indecision. When do they go on sale?
They are on the website now. August 15 ship date.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #87 of 5,796

Seriously though, there will always be better headphones coming out from every company out there.  As with choosing your next mobile phone or TV, waiting is a fool's game.  When you need a new one, you get the best for your needs that's available now.  

So following that logic, would you say that headphone quality increases at a linear rate, like electronic components?  Do they follow a similar trend to CPU's?  If we refer to the below chart, and replace the Y-axis with "Headphone Sound Quality" and the CPU names with headphone names, would we place something like the HD650 or HE-6 where the Pentium is and the ETHER FLOW where the Quad-Core Itanium Tukwila is?

More importantly, implying that companies shouldn't be putting out new products does the entire community here a disservice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Originally Posted by Stillhart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's not to like about new headphones that sound better than the old ones?   Even if you find them too expensive, it generally means that the cheaper headphones will get better too.  Case in point, the Ether 1.1 is now effectively $150 cheaper.

Just some general food for thought.

Are you confident in your ability to differentiate between innovation and planned obsolescence?  Sadly, I don't believe many consumers are.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/planned-obsolescence-innovation-astrid-f-kowlessar

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #88 of 5,796

Per the OP, it seems they're available right now.

Is the Ether C Flow even more smooth up top than the Ether C 1.1? I find the Ether C 1.1 a little rolled off past 14k 

Yes, it's notably smoother up top.  I like the Ether C 1.1 with one black pad.  That's not needed on the Ether C Flow.

Looks interesting, just curious though will you need an Electrostat amp to use these? If so, that's a deal breaker for me as I'm set on amps. I really like my Ether C but find it to be a bit lacking in bass, and it's been losing head time to the Fostex TH-900 for desktop use recently. Will the Flow C improve the bass any? 

Also, I saw a note about upgrade availability for Ether owners in Jude's post but no mention of cost. Has that been announced yet? Could be very intriguing option if the cost is reasonable and no new amp is required.

Nope, this isn't the Ether Electrostat so you're good with amps.  Ether C Flow does have slightly more mid-bass, filling in what I think of as the "thin" parts of the range in the 1.1.  It's no TH-900, but it's a step in the right direction IMO.

1) Why does the Ether Flow's rim look so similar to the Ether electrostatic (dark blue)? How can the two be differentiated from a looks perspective?

2) I notice one of the plastic 'bits / tags' on the headband has 'Flow' engraved on it, but the Ether C Flow does not seem to have this detail, how can Ether C Flow be differentiated from Ether C from aesthetics alone?

3) When original Ether owners send their cans in for upgrade to Ether flow, will the rims get changed from red to blue in addition to the drivers being replaced and the wave guides and the soft foam pads added? Can this upgrade be done locally through a distributor or must they be sent back to San Diego?

4) Is the impedance / drivability still the same as before for the Ether flow (compared to Ether)? Dealer said the Ethers could be driven well from AK380 + Amp or Mojo alone without desktop rig, hope this still stands  

1 - I believe he's going to change the color of the Ether E and use blue for the Flow now.

2 - As mentioned earlier, they're changing the pattern of the carbon fiber to differentiate it.  The review samples don't have it yet, which is why it's not in the pics.

3 - The upgrade plans will be announced in a few weeks.  I'm sure he'll address these questions then.

4 - Yes, the drivers themselves haven't changed.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #89 of 5,796

So following that logic, would you say that headphone quality increases at a linear rate, like electronic components?  Do they follow a similar trend to CPU's?  If we refer to the below chart, and replace the Y-axis with "Headphone Sound Quality" and the CPU names with headphone names, would we place something like the HD650 or HE-6 where the Pentium is and the ETHER FLOW where the Quad-Core Itanium Tukwila is?

Are you confident in your ability to differentiate between innovation and planned obsolescence?  Sadly, I don't believe many consumers are.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/planned-obsolescence-innovation-astrid-f-kowlessar

Ah, you were trolling and I fell for it.  Well done.  Won't fool me twice though.  
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #90 of 5,796

I don't get your point . Should no one improve there product? Planned obsolescence is not something I would say about Mr.Speaker. Intel is looking years down the road with r&d not so much with a small company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back