MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 19, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #5,041 of 5,796
Owning HD650 with XLR cable and a set of full balanced desktop DAC/amp. Is the ether flow a worth upgrade from HD650 in terms of similar sound signature?

I own both EFO and HD650 and A/B them regularly, level matched. The main difference between the two is midrange energy. The HD650 has a lot of upper mid range energy. Guitars and vocals are very in-your-face, and you are put on the front row or up on stage with the performers. The Ether Flow has a more relaxed upper midrange, widening and distancing the soudstage. HD650 can sound grainy because of the way this energy is pushed at you, whereas Ether Flow sounds a bit smokey/hazey by comparison due to the distance. Bass impact to me isn't too different between the two, but Ether Flow digs a bit deeper below 50hz when called for. Ether Flow also has more treble sparkle/air, giving a good sense of detail, however it can border on harsh with certain recordings, although it never really gets to that point for me. HD650 does manage to strike a very smooth yet engaging treble balance, probably the strongest point of that headphone.

For me the Ether Flow Open is worth it because it is more comfortable, and a bit more exciting, yet at the same time an easier listen. With the HD650 I'll be listening for awhile then come up on a track that sounds honky & grainy and immediately yearn to switch to my EFO. On the other hand, there are few times when I'll be listening to EFO and feel like I'm missing out on guitar crunch, that's when I reach for the HD650. If there could only be one, I'd stick with EFO.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #5,042 of 5,796
I own both EFO and HD650 and A/B them regularly, level matched. The main difference between the two is midrange energy. The HD650 has a lot of upper mid range energy. Guitars and vocals are very in-your-face, and you are put on the front row or up on stage with the performers. The Ether Flow has a more relaxed upper midrange, widening and distancing the soudstage. HD650 can sound grainy because of the way this energy is pushed at you, whereas Ether Flow sounds a bit smokey/hazey by comparison due to the distance. Bass impact to me isn't too different between the two, but Ether Flow digs a bit deeper below 50hz when called for. Ether Flow also has more treble sparkle/air, giving a good sense of detail, however it can border on harsh with certain recordings, although it never really gets to that point for me. HD650 does manage to strike a very smooth yet engaging treble balance, probably the strongest point of that headphone.

For me the Ether Flow Open is worth it because it is more comfortable, and a bit more exciting, yet at the same time an easier listen. With the HD650 I'll be listening for awhile then come up on a track that sounds honky & grainy and immediately yearn to switch to my EFO. On the other hand, there are few times when I'll be listening to EFO and feel like I'm missing out on guitar crunch, that's when I reach for the HD650. If there could only be one, I'd stick with EFO.

Nice and clear comparison, thanks!
Besides I found a link of innerfidelity suggest aeon over ef.
How would u compare ether flow to aeon?
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #5,043 of 5,796
Nice and clear comparison, thanks!
Besides I found a link of innerfidelity suggest aeon over ef.
How would u compare ether flow to aeon?
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

I have the Aeon Flow Open as well; I prefer the Ether Flow by a fair margin overall. AFO has good sub-bass impact for an open headphone, probably the best I've heard in an open. However, compared to Ether Flow, the timbre/tone of instruments is not as natural, there is not as much of a sense of space/air in the soundstage; it is more similar to HD650 in terms of staging. At the same time, to me there is a bit of a hole in the AFO's upper midrange which perhaps contributes to what I perceive to be its unnatural timbre. However, it is still a good headphone overall, it's just that I prefer the staging, air, and treble sparkle of the EFO. It stands up well considering it is half the price. There is really no way to tell what you would prefer without auditioning. Everyone's ears are different. I like a little extra treble and some treble energy, for a bit of a V shape, like the EFO. The AFO is more of a \ shape, HD650 more of a --- .

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #5,044 of 5,796
upload_2018-7-19_23-4-12.png
I have the Aeon Flow Open as well; I prefer the Ether Flow by a fair margin overall. AFO has good sub-bass impact for an open headphone, probably the best I've heard in an open. However, compared to Ether Flow, the timbre/tone of instruments is not as natural, there is not as much of a sense of space/air in the soundstage; it is more similar to HD650 in terms of staging. At the same time, to me there is a bit of a hole in the AFO's upper midrange which perhaps contributes to what I perceive to be its unnatural timbre. However, it is still a good headphone overall, it's just that I prefer the staging, air, and treble sparkle of the EFO. It stands up well considering it is half the price. There is really no way to tell what you would prefer without auditioning. Everyone's ears are different. I like a little extra treble and some treble energy, for a bit of a V shape, like the EFO. The AFO is more of a \ shape, HD650 more of a --- .

Do you use EQ? I found that my EFC and AFO do respond to EQ very well. I use the following profile for my AFO. I wonder whether I could make AFO sound similar to EFO (which I haven't heard yet) or vice versa. Probably, my AFO sounds pretty opposite to what Dan intended. But I enjoy it a lot.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #5,045 of 5,796

Do you use EQ? I found that my EFC and AFO do respond to EQ very well. I use the following profile for my AFO. I wonder whether I could make AFO sound similar to EFO (which I haven't heard yet) or vice versa. Probably, my AFO sounds pretty opposite to what Dan intended. But I enjoy it a lot.

Maybe. Headphone soundstage seems to have a lot to do with frequency response. I don't use EQ on my headphones normally, although I've messed around with Equalizer APO a little bit to try and get some bass impact out of the HD800.

I think the AFO has a kind of cup reverb effect from its design, it almost seems semi-open. I think it gets a bit of a closed in soundstage from this design, and it might also affect the timbre; I find a lot of closed headphones can't match timbre of opens. I can only speculate but this could be a tradeoff of soundstage for sub-bass. I don't think you can change all those qualities with EQ, but I'm sure you could get part of the way there. Either way, both headphones are nice.

Also I'm just some regular guy with too many headphones, not any kind of expert so just take my impressions to be the opinion of a rando.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #5,046 of 5,796
Someone have a weird sound while move the head ( for example, seeing the right side and them left side ) ?, i can hear some physical sound... this something like a pad with glue taking off ( is not exactly it ).
i could say can be the pad touching my skin, but in the left side is stronger than right side, i had this sound when i buyed this headphone... i never like it, but now is different. I can't hear more that sound...

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #5,047 of 5,796
Maybe the planar drivers colliding with the magnets? I had this when pushing the pads towards the ears. After longer listening sessions, it seemed easier for them to collide. Even when just putting them from the head, there was a sound (like there is some pressure differences when pulling the pads from the head)
While listening though, and not pushing, there is never such a sound recognizable for me.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #5,048 of 5,796
Maybe the planar drivers colliding with the magnets? I had this when pushing the pads towards the ears. After longer listening sessions, it seemed easier for them to collide. Even when just putting them from the head, there was a sound (like there is some pressure differences when pulling the pads from the head)
While listening though, and not pushing, there is never such a sound recognizable for me.
it annoying you? i can't hear the sound when i listen to my music ... but i use my EFO for hear youtube content, twitch ... and tidal, and i never put off my ethers because it's really comfortable, i use my ether for a long session, but that sound is really annoying..
i tried different things for resolve this, but i can't fix it

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #5,049 of 5,796
I like HD650's sound signature which is warm, full and rich.
Tried hd800s but the sound signature is totally different. Hd800 is more likely a upgrade from hd600
How is 650 compare to ether flow?
Yeah I agree as well that the 800 is a likely upgrade from the 600. the 650 is darker then the EFO.

I got to the shop and as usual had my pick of what I wanted to listen to. I was totally in the mood for the ifi micro idsd Black Label and the EFO. I have the bass boost flipped and also the 3D. Not sure what I feel about the 3D, need to take a minute to just sit and listen. The bass boost is PERFECT for me with the EFO though. This is a really legit combo as always.

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #5,050 of 5,796
it annoying you? i can't hear the sound when i listen to my music ... but i use my EFO for hear youtube content, twitch ... and tidal, and i never put off my ethers because it's really comfortable, i use my ether for a long session, but that sound is really annoying..
i tried different things for resolve this, but i can't fix it
No it doesn't annoy me as I'm not hearing any disturbance while listening.
If you put pressure on the pads towards the ears there's some sound, so i don't do this

Maybe Mr Speakers can explain this better than me

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #5,051 of 5,796
Does anyone know a date when updates have to happen before?

End of August.

Someone have a weird sound while move the head ( for example, seeing the right side and them left side ) ?, i can hear some physical sound... this something like a pad with glue taking off ( is not exactly it ).
i could say can be the pad touching my skin, but in the left side is stronger than right side, i had this sound when i buyed this headphone... i never like it, but now is different. I can't hear more that sound...

Yes, the driver is a thin-film and when you compress the headphone pads it can cause the driver to bump the magnets. It's harmless, just don't chew giant wads of gum or shake your head around...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 3, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #5,053 of 5,796
End of August.

What specific update is due at the end of August? I can't tell after looking back on this thread. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back