MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,201 of 2,843
Jun 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,202 of 2,843
Yes live to be absurd a old postcard of me.
If it makes you laugh, then good. Once I get a computer, a photo editor, I will put headphones on me.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,204 of 2,843
What are you doing wrapped around that dude's neck?

Lol I was back stage in tights holding the snake someone to the picture, doctored it up lol, and sent it to American Greeting Card. Those are not my legs lol.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,205 of 2,843
I notice that to order the Ether w/the DUM cable, you need to order directly from Mr. Speakers. His retailers do not offer it. (You can get the headphone itself from the dealers, though.)

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,207 of 2,843
I would strongly suggest consideration of the dum cable. The sonics are excellent compared to other cables I've tried. 

I was glad to read that in your review. What cables were they btw?

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,208 of 2,843
  I would strongly suggest consideration of the dum cable. The sonics are excellent compared to other cables I've tried. 

Matt, I very seriously considered paying for the DUM cable when I ordered my Ethers (I unfortunately didn't order within the first 100), but there was not a balanced option offered for my Pono, so I ordered a custom Cardas balanced cable for them.  
I can only hope it approaches similar levels of performance.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,209 of 2,843

Matt, I very seriously considered paying for the DUM cable when I ordered my Ethers (I unfortunately didn't order within the first 100), but there was not a balanced option offered for my Pono, so I ordered a custom Cardas balanced cable for them.  
I can only hope it approaches similar levels of performance.

I'm sure that it will be a good solution. Please report back and let us know what you think.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #1,210 of 2,843

After owning the x2 I would say that yes, the Ether is way for musical and fun that the x2. The x2 is a good headphone for it's price point. It's an enjoyable headphone with good highs and bass. I found the mids somewhat average which is why I sold them...I'm a mids guy. And the mids on the hd650 are much better than the x2. AND, the mids on the Ether are appreciably better than the hd650. 

So, this is to say that the x2 and Ether are many leagues apart, as they should be given the price discrepancy. 

Sound quality aside, can anyone compare the Ether and Philips Fidelio X2 on the basis of long term 
1) wearing comfort
2) ear fatigue

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,211 of 2,843

Sound quality aside, can anyone compare the Ether and Philips Fidelio X2 on the basis of long term 
1) wearing comfort
2) ear fatigue

Both are very good. They are about the same weight and both use a suspension strap system. The Ether has overall the best comfort I've ever had the pleasure to experience. It simply disappears on the head after a couple of minutes and never gets to the point that it's fatiguing to me. 

The x2 is nice and I did like those plush memory foam pads, but for me, they simply do not hold up to the Ether. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,212 of 2,843
  I notice that to order the Ether w/the DUM cable, you need to order directly from Mr. Speakers. His retailers do not offer it. (You can get the headphone itself from the dealers, though.)

It's their choice to carry it.  If you have someone you like working with ask them... 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 15, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,213 of 2,843

Both are very good. They are about the same weight and both use a suspension strap system. The Ether has overall the best comfort I've ever had the pleasure to experience. It simply disappears on the head after a couple of minutes and never gets to the point that it's fatiguing to me. 

The x2 is nice and I did like those plush memory foam pads, but for me, they simply do not hold up to the Ether.

Thanks. So you find the Ether to be more comfortable. The X2 is definitely NOT a reference in sound quality, but it's my reference in terms of comfort and minimal ear fatigue.

How about the ear fatigue after a long listening session with the Ether in comparison to the X2? 

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,214 of 2,843

Thanks. So you find the Ether to be more comfortable. The X2 is definitely NOT a reference in sound quality, but it's my reference in terms of comfort and minimal ear fatigue.

How about the ear fatigue after a long listening session with the Ether in comparison to the X2? 

Ether is more comfortable, no question. If I remember correctly, don't own the x2 anymore, the inner diameter of the pads was a bit larger. While the Ether inner pad diameter is plenty spacious, if you have dumbo sized ears I could see you preferring the x2. Bottom line, comfort is stellar with Ether. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back