MrSpeakers Mad Dogs w/Dog Pads amp comments and recommendations
Dec 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dudebrah

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I just got rid of my Denon Dk7s and got a set of MrSpeakers Mad Dog w/Dog Pads. I tested them out using my FiiO E9/E7 combo -- they're pretty good, but I have the feeling they're distorting at significantly lower levels than maybe they should be. I've been using Spotify Premium with and without Audio Hijack Pro EQ settings (mainly the 10-band EQ settings below testing with Gain levels lower than pictured, around 30%).

I'm wondering whether my FiiO combo just isn't powerful enough to push these 'phones. Is the combo close or way out of the ballpark?

I tried to search for anything related to what I'm looking for, but I just couldn't find anything comprehensive. Apologies if this is redundant to something else our there.

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey, glad that you got a trade worked out!! The amp/dac combo that you have is okay. But man do the maddogs sound great with the lyr. Don't hate me. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Hey, glad that you got a trade worked out!! The amp/dac combo that you have is okay. But man do the maddogs sound great with the lyr. Don't hate me. 
biggrin.gif

Hey thanks for the reply. That's definitely out of my price range for now -- and I'd very much miss the USB connectivity... *sigh*

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 8
I would say maybe look into getting an O2+ an Ebay DAC. I'm using the Hifimediy SABRE dac and it sounds pretty good. From memory, I hated the E7.

Another option if you're budget is higher is the Schiit Asgard. MattTCG has it right about the Lyr, I haven't really heard anything negative about it, but the same goes for the Asgard. And for $250, it will power most of your gear outside of some planars I would guess.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Build quality as you can see is spartan. While it IS a good dac for the price, the circuit is nowhere near as sophisticated as some of your higher end DACs, although you need the rest of your rig better to notice the difference. To me, while a DAC is needed, you will notice it most when everything else in your chain is upgraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back