Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Oct 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #4,216 of 4,841
My 5ways sound good with iPod Video and Studio V, but they shines with dx100. Addition of Forza AudioWorks made them shining even more.

With none of my sources they sounded excessively narrow or dark.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #4,217 of 4,841

It does if you've ever had the misfortune of owning the MG6 Pro
rolleyes.gif

Ha, try the Unique Melody 3DD, a custom that compares well to $40 dollar IEMs.  Not to mention the worst customer service experience I've ever had in my life.  Oh, and to top it all off the fit isn't very good and the piece of crap isn't worth getting refitted.

Unique Melody are thieves, it's no different than flushing your money down the toilet.

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #4,218 of 4,841
Sorry to post in this thread again.  I am now considering the Hidition NT6 PRO in addition to the Earsonics EM32.  I thought I had settled on the EM32, but after reading some reviews I’m a bit worried it will be a bit bass heavy for me.  But it has better isolation than the NT6 PRO and seems to work better with low-end sources.  Could anyone who owns or has owned both share some comparisons?

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #4,219 of 4,841
  Sorry to post in this thread again.  I am now considering the Hidition NT6 PRO in addition to the Earsonics EM32.  I thought I had settled on the EM32, but after reading some reviews I’m a bit worried it will be a bit bass heavy for me.  But it has better isolation than the NT6 PRO and seems to work better with low-end sources.  Could anyone who owns or has owned both share some comparisons?

I believe NT6 Pro has also quite tremendous bass too.

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #4,220 of 4,841

Both do have the same isolation if you use the same earprints

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #4,221 of 4,841

I believe NT6 Pro has also quite tremendous bass too.

Thanks, I don't mind bass as I don't want anything that is lacking in any frequency.  I just want to avoid something like the Klipsch X10.  Its bass actually made certain songs unpleasant to listen to.  I don't know whether it was because the bass was emphasised or just wasn't controlled so it overpowered the mids.

Both do have the same isolation if you use the same earprints

Perhaps I'm wrong but based on average_joe's reviews, the EM32s have better isolation due to the filled acrylic shell.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #4,222 of 4,841

Thanks, I don't mind bass as I don't want anything that is lacking in any frequency.  I just want to avoid something like the Klipsch X10.  Its bass actually made certain songs unpleasant to listen to.  I don't know whether it was because the bass was emphasised or just wasn't controlled so it overpowered the mids.

Perhaps I'm wrong but based on average_joe's reviews, the EM32s have better isolation due to the filled acrylic shell.

For the bass, I believe AJ can help you, I think he has both monitors. What I remember from reading his NT6Pro review, the bass was definitely boosted. However it is not boosted like ruining the presentation, we are talking about both quality as well as quantity.

As for the isolation, I think my friend here Rollk2 wrote somewhere in head-fi that EarSonics doesn't fill their acrylic shells with acrylic anymore. So you can pretty much assume that their general isolation would be the same, which will come from how quality is your ear impressions and how good manufacturer will process them.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #4,223 of 4,841

I find the Em32 to be bassier than the NT6 Pro especially with a weak source like the Zx1 and clip zip. With something more powerful its a bit tighter but its never to much for me. The NT6 Pro is harder to match with the right source. The EM32 sounds great with everything.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #4,224 of 4,841
I haven't pitted the EM32 v the NT-6P yet, but will try to do so soon and report back here.  My initial thought from just listening to both is the NT6P has more deep bass while the EM32 has more overall bass, but the EM32 picks up the deep bass vs. some other EarSonics products.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4,225 of 4,841

I have never heard the EM32 before to compare to my NT6pro, but have been doing a lot of comparison shopping to get a backup CIEM having listened through the JH Audio, Westone, Noble Audio, UE, and 1964ears lineups in the last couple of months. My conclusion so far is that at $1250 US, my NT6pro is a steal making it hard to chose a more expensive option that doesn't sound as good. What I am finding is that not only is the NT6pro more extended in both directions, but it is more neutral through the frequency range not messing around with the recording to reveal it as it is. I believe that the 5-way design is what allows it to do so without any significant tuning tricks.

Therefore, the bass is very unique in that it is the hardest hitting that I have heard when the music calls for it, but completely disappears when there is no bass in the music. The 5-way design isolates the frequencies between its 6 drivers so when the frequency is not called for the driver sit silent eliminating the "noise" I seem to hear in a 3-way design giving it - as AJ says - bell like clarity. So the isolated bass drivers are more detailed without the overlap and can hit harder since they have nothing else to do. The isolation also seems to keep the frequencies from stepping on each other as well. In the end, no demo that I have listened to yet has beat the NT6pro bass IMO - its not too warm, not too cold, it is just right. 

The down side is that there is no warm fog over the music to hide its weaknesses so if the song sucks, you will hear it. The warmer models seem to sound their best early in the scaling process, but stop scaling early. So if you are going to stick with an iPhone and MP3s, then any will do and nothing I have heard so far surpasses the value of 1964ears and their $699 US V6 Stage. However, even my $350 X5 or $40 Clip Zip and lossless gives the NT6pro a significant advantage. Believe it or not, I even plugged my NT6pro into the new Schiit stack - Rag/Ygg - at CANJAM last weekend (without blowing it up) and heard it scale even higher than the HD800 IMO given the NT6pro's massive dynamics which matched well with the new stack. So far that is the best I have heard the NT6pro sound. However, it just keeps scaling as I find better sources. That being said, it does make my iPhone sound stellar too.

My advice is that the extra $250 US for the NT6pro is a humongous upgrade from a 3-way, 3 BA setup - but what do I know, I haven't even heard the EM32. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #4,226 of 4,841
  I have never heard the EM32 before to compare to my NT6pro, but have been doing a lot of comparison shopping to get a backup CIEM having listened through the JH Audio, Westone, Noble Audio, UE, and 1964ears lineups in the last couple of months. My conclusion so far is that at $1250 US, my NT6pro is a steal making it hard to chose a more expensive option that doesn't sound as good. What I am finding is that not only is the NT6pro more extended in both directions, but it is more neutral through the frequency range not messing around with the recording to reveal it as it is. I believe that the 5-way design is what allows it to do so without any significant tuning tricks.

Therefore, the bass is very unique in that it is the hardest hitting that I have heard when the music calls for it, but completely disappears when there is no bass in the music. The 5-way design isolates the frequencies between its 6 drivers so when the frequency is not called for the driver sit silent eliminating the "noise" I seem to hear in a 3-way design giving it - as AJ says - bell like clarity. So the isolated bass drivers are more detailed without the overlap and can hit harder since they have nothing else to do. The isolation also seems to keep the frequencies from stepping on each other as well. In the end, no demo that I have listened to yet has beat the NT6pro bass IMO - its not too warm, not too cold, it is just right. 

The down side is that there is no warm fog over the music to hide its weaknesses so if the song sucks, you will hear it. The warmer models seem to sound their best early in the scaling process, but stop scaling early. So if you are going to stick with an iPhone and MP3s, then any will do and nothing I have heard so far surpasses the value of 1964ears and their $699 US V6 Stage. However, even my $350 X5 or $40 Clip Zip and lossless gives the NT6pro a significant advantage. Believe it or not, I even plugged my NT6pro into the new Schiit stack - Rag/Ygg - at CANJAM last weekend (without blowing it up) and heard it scale even higher than the HD800 IMO given the NT6pro's massive dynamics which matched well with the new stack. So far that is the best I have heard the NT6pro sound. However, it just keeps scaling as I find better sources. That being said, it does make my iPhone sound stellar too.

My advice is that the extra $250 US for the NT6pro is a humongous upgrade from a 3-way, 3 BA setup - but what do I know, I haven't even heard the EM32. 
wink_face.gif

In my experience with demos, the area where there is the biggest difference between a demo and the real thing is the bass, so I am not surprised by the bolded statement.  With that said, I do agree that the NT-6 Pro bass is very, very good.  I actually have them in my ears now as I am A/Bing them with the Lear LCM BD4.2.  I have been doing A/B after A/B lately trying to get a bunch of TOTL reviews done.

As far as your comments about lower-end sources, I have found that some CIEMs just perform better.  Take the SE5: while it leaves performance behind with a Sansa product, the resolution is better than I have heard from any other CIEM with that source.  I can't speak for the V6 Stage, but my overall value king is the Perfect Seal Fusion 11 (although the AAW stuff is supposedly also good for the price).

But, if you are talking about # of drivers vs. performance, there is one 3-driver that seems to perform very well, which is the UE PRM.  I can say the trend does seem to be for more drivers and more crossover points, but there are exceptions.

So, what should you get as a backup?  I am currently reviewing:
Lear LCM BD4.2 - similar in many ways, but maybe a bit more neutral in the treble with a more laid-back presentation perspective
Hidition Viento-R - similar, but not as much emphasis on both ends of the spectrum
EarSonics EM32 - opposite end of the spectrum, as it is darker and much more organic
Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro - similar to the NT-6, but a bit more neutral
EarWerkz Legend - very neutral and detailed; they are re-tuning for more space
Perfect Seal Fusion 11 - Similar to the NT-6 Pro with a boost on both ends of the spectrum (although the bass can be quite flat with a different filter) and great spatial qualities

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #4,227 of 4,841
AJ, I know that you need more time to arrive to final conclusions but could you share your initial impressions regarding EarWerkz Legend vs Harmony 8 Pro (I'm very interested in both as companion to my 5ways)?

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #4,228 of 4,841
I don't keep up with all the individual-product-specific threads on head-fi, so if this has been reported therein, then please excuse me posting it here.

I noticed today, on the Hidition website, that the Viento-R is due for a price-hike in 2015, so if anyone is planning to buy a pair, I suppose you'd better get your skates on...

This is a rough translation:

( http://hidition.co.kr/67396 )

"Viento-R product is a product that features a built-in tone control switch previously only been released as 1.1 million won price, 
In addition to the difficulty of manufacture and production in addition to the total number of additional total working hours of an existing conventional product (HF, NT1, RM, NT6, 6PRO) to 200-300% increases.

Therefore, the impression is to be 1100000-1485000 won the current VAT will be 1 January 2015 as part of the product is inevitable."

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #4,229 of 4,841

In my experience with demos, the area where there is the biggest difference between a demo and the real thing is the bass, so I am not surprised by the bolded statement.  With that said, I do agree that the NT-6 Pro bass is very, very good.  I actually have them in my ears now as I am A/Bing them with the Lear LCM BD4.2.  I have been doing A/B after A/B lately trying to get a bunch of TOTL reviews done.

As far as your comments about lower-end sources, I have found that some CIEMs just perform better.  Take the SE5: while it leaves performance behind with a Sansa product, the resolution is better than I have heard from any other CIEM with that source.  I can't speak for the V6 Stage, but my overall value king is the Perfect Seal Fusion 11 (although the AAW stuff is supposedly also good for the price).

But, if you are talking about # of drivers vs. performance, there is one 3-driver that seems to perform very well, which is the UE PRM.  I can say the trend does seem to be for more drivers and more crossover points, but there are exceptions.

So, what should you get as a backup?  I am currently reviewing:
Lear LCM BD4.2 - similar in many ways, but maybe a bit more neutral in the treble with a more laid-back presentation perspective
Hidition Viento-R - similar, but not as much emphasis on both ends of the spectrum
EarSonics EM32 - opposite end of the spectrum, as it is darker and much more organic
Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro - similar to the NT-6, but a bit more neutral
EarWerkz Legend - very neutral and detailed; they are re-tuning for more space
Perfect Seal Fusion 11 - Similar to the NT-6 Pro with a boost on both ends of the spectrum (although the bass can be quite flat with a different filter) and great spatial qualities

Thanks for the ideas AJ. My problem has always been finding demos in Seattle to audition. So I have had to work with the manufacturers to show up at local meets or to organize tours.

It is interesting that you mentioned the Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro because I am working with Peter now to organize a US tour for the H8P as soon as he completes a demo for me expected by end of year. We are also going to tour the Custom Art Music One and Pro330 in the next couple of weeks when those demos are done. If anyone is interested in being part of either of those tours, feel free to PM me and I will put you on a list to notify you first as the tour thread goes up.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #4,230 of 4,841
  Thanks for the ideas AJ. My problem has always been finding demos in Seattle to audition. So I have had to work with the manufacturers to show up at local meets or to organize tours.

It is interesting that you mentioned the Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro because I am working with Peter now to organize a US tour for the H8P as soon as he completes a demo for me expected by end of year. We are also going to tour the Custom Art Music One and Pro330 in the next couple of weeks when those demos are done. If anyone is interested in being part of either of those tours, feel free to PM me and I will put you on a list to notify you first as the tour thread goes up.

I wonder if the demo of the H8P would fit in my ears.  I've been assured by Peter that the actual CIEM would not (sighs). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back