Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Oct 22, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #4,233 of 4,841
  Due to repeated questions about taking ear self-impressions I have posted an article on the subject.

Yes, it provides very convincing reasons why I won't be taking my own ear impressions.  It's an informative useful article, especially for the do it yourself-ers (you know who you are, the guys who take one glance at disassembled Ikea furniture and don't groan).

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #4,234 of 4,841
Good article, I always talk my customers out of taking self impressions. The danger is low until the bad thing happens.
I don't know about the rest of the world but in Poland you have to graduate audiologist school (where you are trained to do it) to be able to take impressions because of said potential risk. Professional audiologist should also be insured so if anything happened you'd be able to receive compensation for mistake. That said, when you make mistake you have only yourself to blame...

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #4,235 of 4,841
I’ve already dipped in and out of this thread, but I would appreciate advice on a CIEM.  I’ve narrowed my choice down to the FitEar MH334/MH335DDW, Hidition NT6-PRO or Noble Audio Kaiser 10.  Unfortunately, I can’t demo any of them.  This is basically what I’m looking for:

Isolation: This is very important as I will be using the earphones for commuting or walking and I listen at low volumes.

Source: Something that sounds good with a low-end source like a smartphone or small DAP.

Bass: I’m not really a basshead and I don’t want bass that overpowers the mids, but would like a decent amount of bass so the music doesn’t sound thin.

Mids: Definitely not recessed, but also not forward at the expense of the other frequencies.

Treble: Smooth treble.  Don’t mind if it is somewhat emphasised provided it doesn’t make the music or vocals sound unnatural.

Overall Sound: Balanced and clear, but not too analytical or revealing of badly produced / poor quality music.  I definitely want to avoid a dark sound or anything that makes music and vocals sound veiled.

Music: I like all genres although I mostly listen to pop music.  The genres I listen to the least are classical and jazz, but I would still like a CIEM that doesn’t make them sound awful.  I don’t tend to listen to music for hours, but short bursts or at most a whole album in one sitting.

So any thoughts on which of the 3 I should go for?  I should add I demoed all of the current JH Audio range and Unique Melody Miracles and ruled them out.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4,237 of 4,841
  I’ve already dipped in and out of this thread, but I would appreciate advice on a CIEM.  I’ve narrowed my choice down to the FitEar MH334/MH335DDW, Hidition NT6-PRO or Noble Audio Kaiser 10.  Unfortunately, I can’t demo any of them.  This is basically what I’m looking for:

Isolation: This is very important as I will be using the earphones for commuting or walking and I listen at low volumes.

Source: Something that sounds good with a low-end source like a smartphone or small DAP.

Bass: I’m not really a basshead and I don’t want bass that overpowers the mids, but would like a decent amount of bass so the music doesn’t sound thin.

Mids: Definitely not recessed, but also not forward at the expense of the other frequencies.

Treble: Smooth treble.  Don’t mind if it is somewhat emphasised provided it doesn’t make the music or vocals sound unnatural.

Overall Sound: Balanced and clear, but not too analytical or revealing of badly produced / poor quality music.  I definitely want to avoid a dark sound or anything that makes music and vocals sound veiled.

Music: I like all genres although I mostly listen to pop music.  The genres I listen to the least are classical and jazz, but I would still like a CIEM that doesn’t make them sound awful.  I don’t tend to listen to music for hours, but short bursts or at most a whole album in one sitting.

So any thoughts on which of the 3 I should go for?  I should add I demoed all of the current JH Audio range and Unique Melody Miracles and ruled them out.

I think K10 ticks all the boxes, except possibly the source issue, as it is very true to the source. Definitely improves even at low volumes with my portable rig than straight out of my iPhone.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #4,238 of 4,841

If balanced and clear but not thin is your goal, then this selection is weird, as they all sound VERY different from what I know. I would go towards SE5, NT6, NT6PRO, K10, H8, maybe VE6x control. Although some might be a bit thin.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4,239 of 4,841
Thank you for all the feedback, it is appreciated.

Quote:
If balanced and clear but not thin is your goal, then this selection is weird, as they all sound VERY different from what I know. I would go towards SE5, NT6, NT6PRO, K10, H8, maybe VE6x control. Although some might be a bit thin.

I agree my shortlist seems a bit odd.  I was worried about the thinness, because I borrowed a friend's Etymotic earphones a while ago and at first I loved them.  Then I listened to some house and RnB and it sounded really anaemic.  And the caution about the earphones being too warm or dark comes from listening to the JH Audio range (especially the Roxannes) when I was in the US.  I'm thinking the K10s or MH334s may be the safest option, as I haven't read a lot of minuses for them.  Whereas some people find the NT6-PROs too bright or lacking bass and the MH335DWs to be dark and having too much bass.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #4,240 of 4,841

I agree my shortlist seems a bit odd.  I was worried about the thinness, because I borrowed a friend's Etymotic earphones a while ago and at first I loved them.  Then I listened to some house and RnB and it sounded really anaemic.  And the caution about the earphones being too warm or dark comes from listening to the JH Audio range (especially the Roxannes) when I was in the US.  I'm thinking the K10s or MH334s may be the safest option, as I haven't read a lot of minuses for them.  Whereas some people find the NT6-PROs too bright or lacking bass and the MH335DWs to be dark and having too much bass.

If you are in France and you are willing to pay 1700 euros for FitEars, help yourself and either get Harmony 8 (pro or non pro it is up to you) or Spiral Ear SE5way. Both are wonderful choices and I am sure you will be more than happy to own one. It is not my place to compare two sides as I only have SE5way, but what I read tells me that, both SE5way and H8 can be easier on your wallet and stronger on your ears.

However after you come this far and willing to pay high end prices for high end products, I doubt any of them will make you sad.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,242 of 4,841

Whereas some people find the NT6-PROs too bright or lacking bass

I can assure you that the NT-6 Pro does not lack bass.

I second that, nothing I have listened to has more, just different. The NT6pro isn't warm or cold, but highly detailed and kicks like a mule when called for disappearing when bass in not in the song.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #4,243 of 4,841

Two Questions:
- What IEMs have you heard that you like and dislike, and why?
- How did you narrow your choice down to those three?

This may help your thought process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back