Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #4,306 of 4,841
  But on a serious note, several of my friends who has owned or auditioned LCM BD4.2, none of them really liked it. On the opposite, most of them hated it. hmm. There might be a difference between the custom and universal versions. So I am actually surprised it's ranked so high. 

wow, that's harsh

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #4,307 of 4,841
The differences between LCM and LUF version also bothers me a lot too.. I wonder how the all thing will turn out at the end. If the LUF version will come close to the LCM, I might actually try to find a way to get it, otherwise I have another universal in my list.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,308 of 4,841
As a different example, I recall very substantial differences being noted, in relation to the Merlin/Miracle customs vs universal-fit-demonstrators (and not just by Joe)...

Psychoacoustics is such a vastly-complex issue, and there's so much room for variation in the interface between the human ear and a foreign object being inserted into it, at varying distances, varying degress of seal, varying angle, etc, etc.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #4,309 of 4,841
  As a different example, I recall very substantial differences being noted, in relation to the Merlin/Miracle customs vs universal-fit-demonstrators (and not just by Joe)...

Psychoacoustics is such a vastly-complex issue, and there's so much room for variation in the interface between the human ear and a foreign object being inserted into it, at varying distances, varying degress of seal, varying angle, etc, etc.

Apparently the differences between custom and universal BD4.2 is pretty huge so.. I don't know but it doesn't smell nice at the moment
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,310 of 4,841

Apparently the differences between custom and universal BD4.2 is pretty huge so.. I don't know but it doesn't smell nice at the moment
frown.gif

It's reasonable, because tips play such a crucial parts. Just like my 1+2, I can make it sound from fantastic to unlistenable with different tips

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #4,311 of 4,841
  But on a serious note, several of my friends who has owned or auditioned LCM BD4.2, none of them really liked it. On the opposite, most of them hated it. hmm. There might be a difference between the custom and universal versions. So I am actually surprised it's ranked so high. 

I actually had the opportunity to audition the BD4.2 at Treoo about a week back, together with some of LEAR Audio's other CIEM demos. To put it simply, I found myself preferring the LCM5 to the BD4.2. Granted, it was a short testing session, but if I were to describe the sound of the BD4.2 in a single word, it would be 'disharmonious'. The lows, mids and highs didn't seem to mesh very well into a single sound spectrum, and I just put off by it. I don't wish to comment on the technical ability of the BD4.2, because I don't consider myself able to discern such things sufficiently well enough as of yet.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4,312 of 4,841

I measured recently demo Miracle and they are very close to custom.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #4,314 of 4,841

Mmmmm, but psychoacoustics does some really, really weird things, that a measuring coupler might not reveal...

But, of course, I know you know that
smile.gif

it's not only psychoacoustics
I observed that small changes in CSD my change the sound quite a bit and tips, (some) cables or IEM materials do have impact on CSD plots.
So yeah that's possible that they may sound different but it will not be big margin.

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4,315 of 4,841
I am very intrigued. A few reliable friends on the 4.2 demo tour said it sounded worse than a 50$ iem. They asked for another pair and it was the same. And now it ranks above SE5 and NT6, which I know. So either these are not very consistent in quality, either they are very polarising taste wise, either there is alien intervention...something is not right.

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #4,316 of 4,841
I am very intrigued. A few reliable friends on the 4.2 demo tour said it sounded worse than a 50$ iem. They asked for another pair and it was the same. And now it ranks above SE5 and NT6, which I know. So either these are not very consistent in quality, either they are very polarising taste wise, either there is alien intervention...something is not right.

Worse than a $50 IEM is stretching it. It's not a bad CIEM per se; it just sounds... uniquely/bizzarely different.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #4,317 of 4,841
Something is fishy with the LUF version. As long as Lear doesn't fix it, I doubt we will see many sales. LCM seems completely fine though, even scoring higher than SE5way and NT6 family.

@average_joe Do you think it is possible for you to get completely new LUF BD4.2?

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #4,318 of 4,841
The universal 4.2 I heard was awful. Awful by any metric. I've said it before, but even the EarPods are a galaxy away in terms of musicality compared to the 4.2. You can take that and print it. I'm not sure if the CIEM version is any different, but I'd caution anyone to at least audition one before unhanding a fistful of skrilla to the wind. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #4,319 of 4,841
I observed that small changes in CSD my change the sound quite a bit and tips, (some) cables or IEM materials do have impact on CSD plots.
So yeah that's possible that they may sound different but it will not be big margin.

Really? I have a 19AWG iem cable, which should mean that it should make a noticeable difference in sound to a say...30 AWG one? Right now that 19awg copper cable sounds like it me that it sucked the bass out of my UERM, but I cannot be sure if it is psychological reasons or not. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #4,320 of 4,841
  AJ is it possible to see how each CIEM scores in each particular category and not only the overall scores? I can't find this info on theheadphonelist.com.

Not currently.  It would take too much work at this time, especially since I am in process of several other reviews.  In due time...

My ranking holds equal weight for many characteristics such as transparency, coherence, imaging, detail, resolution, imaging, soundstage size/proportions, clarity, dynamics, bass capability, bass quality, midrange quality, treble quality, ADSR, and dynamic range.  The new CIEMs have some characteristics that are superior to a previous 100, therefore they score higher.  For example, the LCM BD4.2 has a 102 in transparency and scores quite high in every other category.  Overall technical score doesn't translate to "better."

I feel it is also worth mentioning that certain comparisons can make something sound better/worse than it does in in general.  For example, the Hidition Viento-R has much better center focus and imaging (not necessarily overall imaging though) than the Lear LCM BD4.2, which makes the Lear sometimes sound a bit hollow as mentioned in the review.  I didn't hear this in comparison with the other Hiditions or any other CIEM for that matter.  Is it an issue?  Only if you have the Viento-R and switch between the two.

If I had the time I would redo my ratings with a better grouping and weighing system, but time doesn't permit.

It's reasonable, because tips play such a crucial parts. Just like my 1+2, I can make it sound from fantastic to unlistenable with different tips

Ear tips can make a huge difference, and do with the LUF BD4.2.

I actually had the opportunity to audition the BD4.2 at Treoo about a week back, together with some of LEAR Audio's other CIEM demos. To put it simply, I found myself preferring the LCM5 to the BD4.2. Granted, it was a short testing session, but if I were to describe the sound of the BD4.2 in a single word, it would be 'disharmonious'. The lows, mids and highs didn't seem to mesh very well into a single sound spectrum, and I just put off by it. I don't wish to comment on the technical ability of the BD4.2, because I don't consider myself able to discern such things sufficiently well enough as of yet.

Thanks for your feedback.  The issue I have with the LUF BD4.2 with foam tips is the soundstage isn't coherent, doesn't have a realistic shape (it almost sounds folded over itself), and is presented from an odd perspective.  I can see these characteristics leading to coherence issues from a frequency response perspective.  I have only tried 2 different ear tips with the LUF BD4.2, and the other (triple flange) sounds much better.  While the soundstage isn't what it is with the LCM version, it approximates much better.  You can read more if you haven't already in the LUF and LCM comparison on page 2 of my review.

What was the bass setting of the demo?  Were the sound tubes blocked?  Was it a newer version (larger adjustment knobs and side vents) or an older one?

Define big :)  The Miracle universal demo I heard was absolute trash while joker's custom fit, which I shoved in my ears, sounded far, far superior.

Worse than a $50 IEM is stretching it. It's not a bad CIEM per se; it just sounds... uniquely/bizzarely different.

Are you talking about the CIEM (LCM) or universal fit version (LUF)?

Really? I have a 19AWG iem cable, which should mean that it should make a noticeable difference in sound to a say...30 AWG one? Right now that 19awg copper cable sounds like it me that it sucked the bass out of my UERM, but I cannot be sure if it is psychological reasons or not. 

In my experience it isn't remotely that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back