Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #4,353 of 4,841
I'm not as knowledgeable as other members and haven't heard any Hidition earphones, but I was also under the impression that the NT-6 and NT-6 PRO are one of the brightest TOTL CIEMs you can get.

It's good you have an idea of the sound you like, but I think you can do better than the Ultimate Ears Reference.  I'm not knocking them, but I think for that price you can probably do better.  And the price seems to be significantly marked up in the UK as well.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #4,354 of 4,841
Updated my comparisons

Kumitate Lab Hybrid 
3 balanced armatures, 2 dynamic drivers with 4 bores. 
Cost: 540-550$

Build Quality 100/100

The best I have ever seen. Thick large shell with no bubbles or imperfections. 

Bass 86/100

Very powerful bass with very good texture. You can clearly hear bass guitar bass lines. Not the fastest bass but it can keep up with almost anything. 

Mids 84/100

The mids are a little more behind the bass and treble but not recessed. Very neutral mids with great imaging and detail. 

Treble 80/100

Very clear treble. High levels of detail but can sometimes sound a bit harsh with the wrong source. Cymbal crashes sounds very clear and realistic. 

Soundstage 8/10
With 8,5/10
Depth 8/10

They have a soundstage thats both deep and wide. And they have a very enveloping presentation where every instrument placement sound correct. 

Summary

Amazing ciem for their price. They have a bit of a V-shaped sound with boosted highs and lows but not to much. 

Earsonics EM32
3 balanced armatures in a 3 way configuration. 2 bores. 

Build Quality: 75/100

Some imperfections as bubbles and the left earpiece missing some colour. 

Bass 90/100

Very powerful bass thats boosted quite alot. But its still very detailed and very capable. These have the highest amount of bass of all my iems/ciems. The bass can be a tiny bit slow/bloated sometimes with fast bass heavy tracks with a weak source like the clip zip and Sony ZX1 but its not really a problem to me. 

Mids 96/100

The mids on the Em32 sounds very clear and warm. Very detailed and neutral (not laidback or forward)

Treble 98/10

Highs on the Em32 are extremely clear, a bit bright and smooth. The highs on the Em32 are as clear and capable as the NT6 Pro to me but smoother. The NT6 pro has maybe a tiny bit more micro details than Em32 but the Em32 is smoother sounding and easier on the ears.

Soundstage 9,5/10
With 8,5
Depth 10/10 

They have a very enveloping soundstage that has the best depth I have ever heard with excellent imaging and instrument seperation. 

Summary
They are one of the best ciems I have ever heard. They have a amazing detailed sound thats warm and smooth with a bit of a bright treble. Bass is boosted but very capable and detailed. 

This is what my other ciems/iems would score

JH Audio Roxanne (reshelled by Perfect Seal labs)

Build Quality 85/100
Bass 96/100
Mids 97/100
Treble 87/100
Soundstage 9,5
With 9,5
Depth 9/10

NT6 Pro (don´t have these anymore)

Build Quality 90/100
Bass 97/100
Mids 95/100
Treble 98/100
Soundstage 9/10
With 9/10
Depth 8,5/10

Wan Xuan I9Pro

Build Quality 78/100
Bass 65/100
Mids 62/100
Treble 42/100

Soundstage 8/10
With 8/10
Depth 8/10

Rhapsodio R^2 (no longer in production) Insane value for the price they had 550$

Build Quality 50/100
Bass 90/100
Mids 88/100
Treble 82/100

Soundstage 9/10
With 9/10
Depth 8,5

Rhapsodio RTI1

Build Quality 60/100
Bass 79/100
Mids 98/100
Treble 95/100
Soundstage 9,5/10

With 10/10
Depth 8,5/10

1964ears V6 (from memory)

Build Quality 8,5/100
Bass 71/100
Mids 81/100
Treble 85/100
Soundstage 8/10

With 8/10
Depth 8/10

Custom Art Pro 330 (from memory)

Build Quality 7/10
Bass 80/10
Mids 82/10
Treble 78/10
Soundstage 7,5/10

With 7,5
Depth 8/10

Upcoming
Spiral Ear SE5
A 10 driver Rhapsodio ciem

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #4,357 of 4,841
Thank you to everybody who responded to my message. I had a demo session of some custom earphones earlier this week and got to listen to the JH Audio, Unique Melody and Ultimate Ears ranges. The JH and Unique Melody earphones are definitely not for me. Ultimate Ears - I tried the UE7, UE18 and Reference. My favourite was the Reference - really clear and crisp. I quite liked the UE7 and UE18 but didn't feel there was that big a difference to justify the price gap.

What is making me hesitant to get the UE Reference is that I'm still hoping to find something with that type of sound but with some more bass and body/weight (perhaps thickness). I really noticed this was lacking when listening to Green Day and 2Pac. The Reference is pretty expensive and so I don't want to settle when it's not my absolute ideal sound.

So based on my experience are there any further recommendations? Again, any advice would be much appreciated.

With Cosmic Ears setting up in the uk, and now have a demo request page on the website it may well be worth firing Phil the ceo at Cosmic an email describing your requirements.  I'm sure that they could have something up your street.  I've a sneaking suspicion based on what I've read (warning, recommending things not heard is dangerous so take this with a pinch of salt!)that the neutral BA4 could be what you are after.  Again shoot them an email explaining your situation and see what they say.  Email may be a little slow in response so give them a couple of days. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #4,361 of 4,841
I had a chance to listen to someone else EM32. Of course that was not my CIEM so take my impression with grain of salt.

The first thing which you hear with EM32 is bass. It is so f..powerful, reverbant and the at the same time it is detailed and good quality. The second thing is very sharp, and sometimes sibiliant treble; it is extremly extended but it is not so smooth like of 5ways, it reminded Hidition NT-6pros treble. Ia have a hard time to write something about the midrange because my impression was that presentation was focused firstly on bass, secondly on treble and thirdly midrange; I would say that they are midly Vshaped, but at the same time I cannot say they have recessed mids (it is just bass takes main attention). My feeling is that EM32 is more darkish than 5ways.
If EM32 had a little less dB amount of bass and a little bit tammed treble it would be a very good, natural sounding CIEM.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #4,365 of 4,841
The EM32 I'm daily using are sibilant-free, never heard that kind of sound with them, and I'm very sensitive in the treble region. I can't use the Westone 4 for that reason. To my mind the EM32 are psychoacousticaly tuned and they have to be used and tested on the long term (I discover them each day for a year...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back