Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #4,366 of 4,841
The EM32 I'm daily using are sibilant-free, never heard that kind of sound with them, and I'm very sensitive in the treble region. I can't use the Westone 4 for that reason. To my mind the EM32 are psychoacousticaly tuned and they have to be used and tested on the long term (I discover them each day for a year...)

Same here. Sibilant free for me too.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #4,368 of 4,841
  .... moving parts in a CIEM make me nervous.

You do realise there are moving parts in a BA and a DD, don't you?

tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #4,371 of 4,841
Small changes in fit have huge impact on sound...

That's the problem with custom IEMs from what I understand; just because they are fit to your ears doesn't mean that they take into account the full ear canal structure leading to such possible huge shifts in FR from the target response and consequently tonality due to their general design. They aren't like well designed universals (read: not many) which are tuned to mostly withstand insertion depth related FR shifts. There's almost luck involved for each individual.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #4,372 of 4,841

Thanks for the Viento R review. I had written this one off my list based on your initial impressions but the full review reads like an iem made for my preferences. The comparison with the UERM was very helpful as well.

The other ciem on my list was the Fusion 11. If I may, I'd like to request Fusion 11 conparisons to the UERM and Viento R. I'm probably not purchasing until early next year, so I can patiently wait on the Fusion 11 review. Thanks again!

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #4,373 of 4,841
That's the problem with custom IEMs from what I understand; just because they are fit to your ears doesn't mean that they take into account the full ear canal structure leading to such possible huge shifts in FR from the target response and consequently tonality due to their general design. They aren't like well designed universals (read: not many) which are tuned to mostly withstand insertion depth related FR shifts. There's almost luck involved for each individual.

Insert joke regarding withstanding variable insertion depth.

On a more serious note, it is  indeed impossible to know what a custom sounds like for other people. I have a very striking example which is the SE5. Many people find it a bit dark. My first SE5 was indeed on the dark side (insert joke). I had to have it reshelled as my canal changed post (adult) braces. My new SE5 definitely sound not dark at all, at least in my referential.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #4,374 of 4,841
I had a chance to listen to someone else EM32. Of course that was not my CIEM so take my impression with grain of salt.

The first thing which you hear with EM32 is bass. It is so f..powerful, reverbant and the at the same time it is detailed and good quality. The second thing is very sharp, and sometimes sibiliant treble; it is extremly extended but it is not so smooth like of 5ways, it reminded Hidition NT-6pros treble. Ia have a hard time to write something about the midrange because my impression was that presentation was focused firstly on bass, secondly on treble and thirdly midrange; I would say that they are midly Vshaped, but at the same time I cannot say they have recessed mids (it is just bass takes main attention). My feeling is that EM32 is more darkish than 5ways.
If EM32 had a little less dB amount of bass and a little bit tammed treble it would be a very good, natural sounding CIEM.

I also haven't heard sibilant treble, but compared with others such as the Viento-R, SE5, Fit Ear PS-5, and BD4.2 for example, it seems a bit on the sharper/harsher side.  I have been listening to the H8P a lot for the upcoming review, and the treble quality is similar to the EM32.  Without any comparison, the treble sounds very good, and it superior to many others, including the IERM, EM4, and Stage 3.

Great review Joe. Happy to see a small comparison between H8P and Viento R. Thank you

Thanks you. I am working on the H8P review, and if you want better isolation but want a VR type sound, the H8P is a great choice in addition to something like the NT-6.

The Viento-R review presented an intriguing CIEM.  Do you believe the tiny switches will last?  I'd worry that repeated use could result in their breaking; moving parts in a CIEM make me nervous.

The switches should last.  Typically components like those are tested for at least a certain number of toggles, and the design and small size make it robust.

On a more serious note, it is  indeed impossible to know what a custom sounds like for other people. I have a very striking example which is the SE5. Many people find it a bit dark. My first SE5 was indeed on the dark side (insert joke). I had to have it reshelled as my canal changed post (adult) braces. My new SE5 definitely sound not dark at all, at least in my referential.

Mimouille hit on a thought I have had for a while.  How do these companies account for differences in canal depth and volume, and how much does it really change?  From my many data points, I know fit/build can change the sound, but not always:
- Rooth LS8 demo vs. my customized unit, with the customized unit being brighter
- Miracle demo vs. joker's customized unit, with the demo sounding gawd awful
- LUF BD4.2 with different tips that completely changed the sound signature and quality dramatically
- EarSonics universal products seem to be very ear tip sensitive
- UE PRM demo and the real thing sounded nearly identical
- Original SE5 and new SE5 with longer canals sounded very similar
- Per EarWerkz, their customized version had an issue vs. the universal (that has been fixed)

I am not qualified to really say how much change there can/will be from one CIEM to another depending on the many factors that can change things, but the majority seem to agree with my assessment of the sound in my reviews, indicating the sound is consistent.

Thanks for the Viento R review. I had written this one off my list based on your initial impressions but the full review reads like an iem made for my preferences. The comparison with the UERM was very helpful as well.

The other ciem on my list was the Fusion 11. If I may, I'd like to request Fusion 11 conparisons to the UERM and Viento R. I'm probably not purchasing until early next year, so I can patiently wait on the Fusion 11 review. Thanks again!

No problem, thanks for reading.  I should have a full Fusion 11 review done by then and can include those comparisons, but I can tell you now the VR is a much better performer.  The F11 performs much closer to the IERM technically, but has more of a V-shaped sound sig and more forward mids.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #4,375 of 4,841
  The EM32 I'm daily using are sibilant-free, never heard that kind of sound with them, and I'm very sensitive in the treble region. I can't use the Westone 4 for that reason. To my mind the EM32 are psychoacousticaly tuned and they have to be used and tested on the long term (I discover them each day for a year...)

Same here. Sibilant free for me too.

I also haven't heard sibilant treble, but compared with others such as the Viento-R, SE5, Fit Ear PS-5, and BD4.2 for example, it seems a bit on the sharper/harsher side.  I have been listening to the H8P a lot for the upcoming review, and the treble quality is similar to the EM32.  Without any comparison, the treble sounds very good, and it superior to many others, including the IERM, EM4, and Stage 3.

Guys, as I wrote I listened to someone else EM32 so it is likely that the sibiliance was the result of this fact. However, my main point was that to my ears EM32 treble was very harsh/emphasized (5ways has emphasized treble but they are rather smooth), very similar to Hidition, which could be very fatiquing for longer listening sessions. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #4,376 of 4,841

My impressions as to 5ways darkness is as follows: at a first glance they may seem to be darkish (what is logical since they have a very big dip in 5-8kHz region), but ironically at the same time they are a little bit bright (due 10 kHz+ region). However, after few minutes of listening this impression disappears. This "darkish" aspect of 5ways gives them very natural sound.

And yes I agree that insertion depth, fit etc. plays vital role in CIEMs. Thus, in my view assessing a given CIEM from technical perspective just by listening to someone else product is almost impossible. Of course one is able to tell what type of signature this CIEM has, whether there is a lot of bass, treble etc. But, in my view, taking into account the fact that at certain level the differences between CIEMs are nuances one cannot assess separation, clarity, texture of bass and other technical aspects. This is why my impressions as to EM32 related only to sound signature but not the technical capability of this CIEM.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #4,378 of 4,841

Guys, as I wrote I listened to someone else EM32 so it is likely that the sibiliance was the result of this fact. However, my main point was that to my ears EM32 treble was very harsh/emphasized (5ways has emphasized treble but they are rather smooth), very similar to Hidition, which could be very fatiquing for longer listening sessions. 

I totally agree with this~  EM32 does has emphasized upper mid with a combination of upper treble. However it doesn't not present the whole presentation as effortless as SE5 does, so leading to a harsh/edgy sound on certain songs. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #4,379 of 4,841
Hi there, I've been reading the information about acrylic v silicone custom earphones. Are there any companies besides FitEar and M-Fidelity that provide solid acrylic or silicone filled acrylic shells either as standard or as an option? I think I read in this thread that Earsonics do as well, but I don't think their earphones have the type of sound I am after. Thanks

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #4,380 of 4,841
  Hi there, I've been reading the information about acrylic v silicone custom earphones. Are there any companies besides FitEar and M-Fidelity that provide solid acrylic or silicone filled acrylic shells either as standard or as an option? I think I read in this thread that Earsonics do as well, but I don't think their earphones have the type of sound I am after. Thanks

Custom Art does solid silicone including their Harmony 8 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back