Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 31, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #13,322 of 16,931
  Your impressions of the CK-10 is dead on.  I agree with it 100%

I've ordered the NT6, and hope to agree there too.  
biggrin.gif

I hope so too 
beerchug.gif
. To me it's the logical next step for a CK10 fan.

I just recently purchased the Creative Aurvana In Ear 3 as a shot in the dark, but I'm finding them too mid forward for my tastes.  Any recommendations that have a bit more bass, less forward mids, and around the same highs for $30-$100?  Maybe something that sounds similar to the Sennheiser PX-100, if anyone has that to compare to.

I listen to mostly ska punk/punk rock and various rock/metal, so I guess something balanced to warm/mildly v shaped would be good.  But I do know I don't like harsh and/or fatiguing highs.

I'm currently eyeing these, Etymotic MC5, HiFiMan Re-400, Vsonic GR06, Shure SE215, Brainwavz M5, but am unsure which direction to try next.

You're looking at some pretty mid-centric earphones for someone who's trying to avoid that. The SE215 is probably the best option for you out of those.  You might also consider the Phonak Perfect Bass if you can find it (it was still available on amazon last I checked) or the SteelSeries Flux if you can live with a bit more treble energy. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #13,323 of 16,931
Added the T-Peos Tank

(3A85) T-Peos Tank

Reviewed March 2014

Details: Entry-level headset from Korea-based T-Peos
MSRP: est. $40 (manufacturer’s page)
Current Price: $50 from ebay.com
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 102 dB | Freq: 20-18k Hz | Cable: 4.2′ L-plug with mic & 1-button remote
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear (preferred)

Accessories (2.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), foam tips (1 pair), shirt clip, and velvet drawstring carrying pouch
Build Quality (4/5) – True to its name, the Tank feels quite sturdy, with metal housings, narrow flat cables, and a well-relieved L-plug. It also boasts an inline mic with a 1-button remote, but no cable cinch
Isolation (3/5) – On par with other earphones of this type
Microphonics (3/5) – Bothersome with cable-down wear; good when worn over-the-ear
Comfort (4/5) – The 8mm driver of the Tank permits a slim and compact design. The earphones can be worn comfortably both cable-down and cable up, though the flat cable can be a bit resistant to over-the-ear wear and the lack of a cable cinch doesn’t help

Sound (7.7/10) – The T-Peos Tank is a dynamic-driver earphone with an enhanced-bass sound signature and warm tonal character. It has significantly more bass than the VSonic VSD1, for example, but a bit less than the Sony MH1C, especially in the sub-bass region. Bass quality is good – it is tighter compared to both the less bassy Soundmagic E10 and the more impactful Dunu Landmine.

Its mids manage to avoid veiling quite well, and don’t sound as recessed as those of the Sony MH1C. Clarity is very good, beating out the similarly-priced VSonic GR02 Bass Edition and Soundmagic E10, as well as the pricier but more veiled-sounding Dunu Landmine.

There is a bit of elevation in the treble region, which is shared by the other dynamic-driver T-Peos earphones I’ve tried recently. At times it results in mild harshness and can accentuate sibilance some, but overall the Tank is pretty composed. Tonally, it is darker and warmer than, for example, the Soundmagic E10.

The presentation is good, not great, with only average depth and a bit of congestion. It is less spacious than the Soundmagic E10, for example, and even the Dunu Landmine. The enhanced bass also hurts the imaging a touch compared to T-Peos’ similarly-priced but less bassy Popular model.

Select Comparisons 

T-Peos Popular (~$40)

These sibling earphones from T-Peos are cut from the same cloth but have distinctive sound signatures. The Tank is warmer and bassier, while the Popular is brighter and sounds more v-shaped. The greater bass quantity of the Tank makes it a little boomy in comparison while the more neutral Popular model is clearer. The treble of the Tank is a little smoother while the Popular is more harsh and splashy, but also more crisp. The soundstage presentations of the two earphones are extremely similar. Lastly, the Tank also has a bit of driver flex while the Popular seems immune to the phenomenon.

VSonic GR02 Bass Edition ($35)

The GR02 Bass Edition is a v-shaped, enhanced-bass earphone. Overall bass impact is pretty similar between the GR02 and Tank but the latter boasts a slightly tighter low end. Its mids are also less recessed compared to the VSonics and sound warmer and more natural overall. At the top, the Tank is a little smoother while the more v-shaped GR02 has a greater tendency towards sibilance. The GR02 has a wider soundstage, however, and sounds a little more airy.

VSonic VSD1S ($50)

VSonic’s newer budget set, the VSD1S, is a more balanced earphone compared to the GR02 Bass Edition but still maintains a somewhat v-shaped sound signature. Compared to the Tank, its bass is less enhanced and the tone is not as warm. The VSD1S sounds clearer and has a brighter, more energetic top end that makes the Tank seem somewhat dark in comparison. The Tank also appears a bit congested next to the wide and airy soundstage of the VSD1S.

Sony MH1C ($60)

Sony’s MH1C is a warm and smooth-sounding earphone that’s tonally similar to the Tank. It has a bit more subbass presence and less mid-bass bloat than the Tank, but both earphones have plenty of bass. The MH1C sounds more recessed in the midrange but is smoother in the treble region, while the Tank is a little more peaky and energetic at the top. The presentation of the MH1C also has an upper hand.

Value (8.5/10) – There aren’t many sub-$50 sets that perform on the level of the new T-Peos Tank, and fewer still also offer headset functionality and a sturdy construction. The signature of the Tank is a bassy one, but it manages to maintain control over its bass and good clarity elsewhere, especially in the midrange. As it is a new release, international pricing hasn’t stabilized quite yet, but anything at or below ~$40 makes the Tank a solid buy.

Pros: Enhanced-bass sound signature with good clarity; compact and comfortable housings; solid construction
Cons: Treble could be smoother; cable can be noisy when worn cord-down

The overall ranking has been updated here.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #13,324 of 16,931
  Speaking of the AT IEMs, there's a lot of new interesting IEMs from audio-technica, like the CK100pro and of course the IM series. Hopefully Joker will get to them in due time, but between his full schedule and the relative scarcity of these new IEMs outside of Japan I'm not sure how hopeful we can be about the chances of these IEMs getting reviewed. Fingers crossed!

Definitely curious about the current crop of AT IEMs. Just need to finish up with the CKX5iS before tackling any more. 

Talking about new AT IEMs, they just announced a new line again, the CKR series. hahaha

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #13,325 of 16,931
  So, about that Triple.Fi 10 review that was requested a while back....

Joker sure has a lot going on.  I'm still waiting for the BA200, Fidelio S2, and VSD1/VSD1S to be added to the comparison table :)

Joker, have you heard the KEF M200?

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #13,327 of 16,931
Hi headfiers!

I'm waiting for the Fiio X5 (it will be my first DAP after the creative zen vision:M 60gb) and i still have my beloved phonaks PFE 122. I mainly listen to Rock (Muse, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Flaming Lips etc.) and Jazz (Pat Metheny Group, EST and other ACT artists) and i'm not a basshead. What should I look for to be an improvement from my PFEs? Price range is up to $250.

Thanks!!

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #13,328 of 16,931
Given Joker's brief impressions of the BA200, the RE400 review, and having owned the BA200 for a little while, I would expect a 9.1 or maybe even a 9.2 from the BA200, which is pretty impressive given that I just sold mine for $80. Maybe I should have waited for his full review to come out to sell it
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #13,329 of 16,931
  Hi headfiers!

I'm waiting for the Fiio X5 (it will be my first DAP after the creative zen vision:M 60gb) and i still have my beloved phonaks PFE 122. I mainly listen to Rock (Muse, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Flaming Lips etc.) and Jazz (Pat Metheny Group, EST and other ACT artists) and i'm not a basshead. What should I look for to be an improvement from my PFEs? Price range is up to $250.

Thanks!!

I would recommend IM02 for a significant upgrade from PFE122.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #13,330 of 16,931
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're looking at some pretty mid-centric earphones for someone who's trying to avoid that. The SE215 is probably the best option for you out of those.  You might also consider the Phonak Perfect Bass if you can find it (it was still available on amazon last I checked) or the SteelSeries Flux if you can live with a bit more treble energy. 

I know, but I'm not entirely sure that the mids were actually too forward for me, or if if I just want more low end with them.  On some songs I rather liked the IE3 but others, mostly rock songs, left me feeling meh.  

I was originally looking at the Flux but my current mp3 player and computer don't like TRRS plugs, so I decided to try something else.  But I just purchased a Sansa Clip+ so the Flux should work with that.  

I think I will try the Shure SE215 and/or Steelseries Flux, and then decide if I'm barking up the wrong tree and go for something more V shaped.

Thanks for the response.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #13,331 of 16,931

Talking about new AT IEMs, they just announced a new line again, the CKR series. hahaha

I've given up on keeping up with their releases. I'm pretty sure AT has the most extensive headphone (especially IEM) lineup in the world. 

Joker sure has a lot going on.  I'm still waiting for the BA200, Fidelio S2, and VSD1/VSD1S to be added to the comparison table :)

Joker, have you heard the KEF M200?

I have not heard the M200. 

Hi headfiers!

Thanks!!

Replied to your question on the website

Given Joker's brief impressions of the BA200, the RE400 review, and having owned the BA200 for a little while, I would expect a 9.1 or maybe even a 9.2 from the BA200, which is pretty impressive given that I just sold mine for $80. Maybe I should have waited for his full review to come out to sell it
rolleyes.gif

Maybe 
tongue.gif
. I still can't believe some people got them for $25

I know, but I'm not entirely sure that the mids were actually too forward for me, or if if I just want more low end with them.  On some songs I rather liked the IE3 but others, mostly rock songs, left me feeling meh.  

I was originally looking at the Flux but my current mp3 player and computer don't like TRRS plugs, so I decided to try something else.  But I just purchased a Sansa Clip+ so the Flux should work with that.  

I think I will try the Shure SE215 and/or Steelseries Flux, and then decide if I'm barking up the wrong tree and go for something more V shaped.

Thanks for the response.

For what it's worth, the Flux is more v-shaped than the SE215.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #13,334 of 16,931
Joker, it would be awsome if the companies can provide lots of DAPs and sources to you for review.  I would be looking forward to your iem sources comparison.  What is your best source at the moment?

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back