Multiple questions on Ipod Classic 160gb alternative - better sound - bigger storage
Nov 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Nelchior

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So before coming around here to bother you with my questions, I spent some time on the forums, but could not find an answer. I figured that I would surrender, and summon you wisdom.

Please help.

I've had an Ipod 160gb for a while now for a few reasons:
-The storage capacity
-The interface (browsing, etc)
-The storage
-The fact that I could skip songs by just pressing the wheel from the outside of my pocket (it's not a joke - it's really useful - but I wouldn't dare hoping for an alternative to that)
-The storage, mostly
-Mixing a little, I've found the playlists (along with the folders) extremely useful, it helps me keep everything organized.

So I know the music quality isn't that great, and really I wish I could find better but my ipod has been full for a few weeks now. So I really do need the storage capacity.

I started looking into mp3 players with a bigger one, I didn't find anything except a $1,000 player that was way too fancy for me.

Now in top of that, the blogs, websites where I get my music very often offer a Flac version of the albums. My ipod is full, and I need more space now.

So basically after looking online, I saw that my ipod could use OS like Rockbox that apparently would enable it to play Flac. Is that right? And if it is, does the ipod has what it takes to play a good Flac ? And also, what about the actual interface. Does this 'OS' has alternatives?  

Another thing - I've found out that I can change the hard drive myself. But I couldn't find bigger than the 160gb one online. Any suggestion? Is there something out there for me?

Would there be any ways for me to buy a small hard drive , not necessarily an ipod one, that I could still fit in the ipod? I know this is slightly out of the topic, but there could be a way to install the OS of the ipod on another hard drive? I mean I don't know **** in that domain, so maybe I'm just wrong.

But still, we're in 2012 now, I've had this Ipod for years... My External hard drive is slightly bigger than the ipod, but it's 1tb.. I know there are people in this forum who figured that out, I can sense it.

So basically, bigger storage, better sound quality... I can go for something playing only mp3 (though I'd love the upgrade) but I definitely need more space. Any thoughts on that folks?

Thanks for your time guys, and thanks for reading all that, even if you don't comment

G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back