Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Nov 14, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #1,111 of 1,181
I am trying to connect iBasso DC06 to LGV30* using the provided USB c to USB c cable, but nothing is happening. I am using UAPP. Does anyone know what I should do?

*I am just curious to try it, before yall tell me LGV30 has an amazing DAC already lol.

Dec 10, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #1,112 of 1,181
I thought I'd tap this thread for a good tip on how to block any system/app/Android updates to my V30 & V40. I use my "V" phones exclusively for audio: the fabulous terrestrial FM radio on my V20 & first V30 were neutered under pushed updates, including some undesirable menu revisions. My current rule is to avoid any aerial Bluetooth, wi-fi, or network contact (this is good because no SIM) which should work fine, but I've poked through the hole with one phone just for Tidal & Qobuz. Just looking for any group advice, or referral to a site, on stemming any s/w pushes in the future while staying online.

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,113 of 1,181
I thought I'd tap this thread for a good tip on how to block any system/app/Android updates to my V30 & V40. I use my "V" phones exclusively for audio: the fabulous terrestrial FM radio on my V20 & first V30 were neutered under pushed updates, including some undesirable menu revisions. My current rule is to avoid any aerial Bluetooth, wi-fi, or network contact (this is good because no SIM) which should work fine, but I've poked through the hole with one phone just for Tidal & Qobuz. Just looking for any group advice, or referral to a site, on stemming any s/w pushes in the future while staying online.

Disable all Google automatic updates in Play Store settings.
Disable all LG automatic updates in Settings > General > Update Center.
That should take care of it.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,114 of 1,181
Disable all Google automatic updates in Play Store settings.
Disable all LG automatic updates in Settings > General > Update Center.
That should take care of it.
Thanks much, James444! I've got my device's Update Center off, but I don't find any Play Store settings to nix (the only app I've ever downloaded from the Play Store is Stellio, which I reluctantly use when Neutron is on the fritz). I'm still alwasy greeted by a solicitation for "security update" every time I boot when I left wi-fi on, which I use for some internet radio stations and Tidal/Qobuz.

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #1,115 of 1,181
I recently ordered a couple of LG V-series phones, solely for audio use - a V30 - new in box (Android 8) and a refurbed G8x.
Somewhat to my surprise (and I didn't think to ask before purchasing), the G8x arrived yesterday with Android 12 installed. I've read enough through various posts on this site and others to recognize that this might not be ideal from an audio performance standpoint, relative to earlier iterations of Android. I'm not worried about lack of MQA capabilities, as I figured on installing UAPP for listening to FLAC files, but given that, with Android 12 installed, am I missing out on the full performance potential of this phone? I don't have prior listening experience with earlier versions of Android installed on the phone to compare it to.
I've started looking into rolling back the OS to Android 9 or 10 - but I'm slightly concerned about the potential to brick my new purchase, right out of the gate.
Any suggestions as to whether I ought to attempt a roll-back, or just live with Android 12, and be blissfully ignorant?
Thanks much to those of you who may be able to shed a little light on my best path forward.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,116 of 1,181
I recently ordered a couple of LG V-series phones, solely for audio use - a V30 - new in box (Android 8) and a refurbed G8x.
Somewhat to my surprise (and I didn't think to ask before purchasing), the G8x arrived yesterday with Android 12 installed. I've read enough through various posts on this site and others to recognize that this might not be ideal from an audio performance standpoint, relative to earlier iterations of Android. I'm not worried about lack of MQA capabilities, as I figured on installing UAPP for listening to FLAC files, but given that, with Android 12 installed, am I missing out on the full performance potential of this phone? I don't have prior listening experience with earlier versions of Android installed on the phone to compare it to.
I've started looking into rolling back the OS to Android 9 or 10 - but I'm slightly concerned about the potential to brick my new purchase, right out of the gate.
Any suggestions as to whether I ought to attempt a roll-back, or just live with Android 12, and be blissfully ignorant?
Thanks much to those of you who may be able to shed a little light on my best path forward.
WJK59, I'm chiming in early on your query, you may get more detailed responses, and there's PLENTY of confusing data regarding this on dedicated V-phone & music app threads. I've got a dedicated V20, V30 & V40 and blocked all further contact on V20 & V30(s). I've left the V40 "open" to the world for streaming (V40's Meridian "tune" isn't as detailed as earlier B&O tune). From all my research on LG phones, I believe the V30 will no longer be snared for Android pushes, but the G8 might. That said, I think you will be gambling by attempting to roll back the OS, and I also believe you will be able to reap all SQ from a Neutron or UAPP app locally - streaming settings are a different story. I'd just really enjoy your FLAC files and declare victory! Especially on the '30 - a lucky find, indeed! Even luckier if it still has the fabulous terrestrial FM tuner still active - don't sell it short!

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #1,117 of 1,181
The only thing you need Android 9 for is native decoding of DSD through UAPP. After Android 9, all DSD is converted to PCM which is certainly not ideal and basically handicaps the whole benefits of the format. But I don't see you running DSD...so it's a moot point for you.

I personally have a carrier and non-carrier version of V40... carrier is on Android 10 unlocked is on Android 9. I also have an unlocked V30s on Android 9, and a "useless" V50 ( cellular wise but certainly not audio-wise) that used to be on Sprint.

Finally broke down and had to get a Samsung S22 to keep up with the 5G Network my carrier has shifted to.. so when I get around to it I'll probably sell a few those mentioned. For people who want good audio if nothing else.

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,118 of 1,181
The only thing you need Android 9 for is native decoding of DSD through UAPP. After Android 9, all DSD is converted to PCM which is certainly not ideal and basically handicaps the whole benefits of the format. But I don't see you running DSD...so it's a moot point for you.

I personally have a carrier and non-carrier version of V40... carrier is on Android 10 unlocked is on Android 9. I also have an unlocked V30s on Android 9, and a "useless" V50 ( cellular wise but certainly not audio-wise) that used to be on Sprint.

Finally broke down and had to get a Samsung S22 to keep up with the 5G Network my carrier has shifted to.. so when I get around to it I'll probably sell a few those mentioned. For people who want good audio if nothing else.
scottm18, I completely share your perspective: got my 30's stuck on 7 and 40s on 9. I tried V50 & V60, but quickly exercised my return privileges after listening to 'em. Don't see any AKM or ESS solutions in the Sammy, but it might be a good platform for digital out -

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #1,119 of 1,181
It is actually. After getting the center device in this picture which is a balanced tube DAP from Cayin, I picked up their much less exotic usb (phone) DAC that of course does work with the Samsung. But...as you can see from again that center picture, I have my portable situation pretty covered :)

Flanking it on the right and left side are the gorgeous top-line headphones & "earspeakers" from a criminally underrated Japanese company called Final Audio.

20220829_205145_HDR.jpg

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #1,120 of 1,181
It is actually. After getting the center device in this picture which is a balanced tube DAP from Cayin, I picked up their much less exotic usb (phone) DAC that of course does work with the Samsung. But...as you can see from again that center picture, I have my portable situation pretty covered :)

Flanking it on the right and left side are the gorgeous top-line headphones & "earspeakers" from a criminally underrated Japanese company called Final Audio.

N8ii, Fibass and Sonorous X right? Dream setup.
The V30 drove the Sonorous VI excellently.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,121 of 1,181
WJK59, I'm chiming in early on your query, you may get more detailed responses, and there's PLENTY of confusing data regarding this on dedicated V-phone & music app threads. I've got a dedicated V20, V30 & V40 and blocked all further contact on V20 & V30(s). I've left the V40 "open" to the world for streaming (V40's Meridian "tune" isn't as detailed as earlier B&O tune). From all my research on LG phones, I believe the V30 will no longer be snared for Android pushes, but the G8 might. That said, I think you will be gambling by attempting to roll back the OS, and I also believe you will be able to reap all SQ from a Neutron or UAPP app locally - streaming settings are a different story. I'd just really enjoy your FLAC files and declare victory! Especially on the '30 - a lucky find, indeed! Even luckier if it still has the fabulous terrestrial FM tuner still active - don't sell it short!
Thanks, 6Channel and scottm18, for your responses. You're right about the plethora of confusing, and sometimes contradictory information on the topic on the various V-phone & music app threads. I've seen quite a bit more response to the caution of not upgrading beyond Android 9 (or 10) - but precious little about going beyond that, and what Android 12 does to the sound signature, capabilities, etc of the G8x. For all I know, maybe it FIXED some things that A11 mucked up - but I haven't really seen anything noted about that - just, "don't upgrade beyond Android 10" warnings.

One of the reasons I picked up that particular phone was to give me a "Meridian-tuned" comparative to the V30's B&O tuning, so that I could make my own subjective decision. That said, from what I'm reading in your responses, the OS upgrade beyond Android 9 or 10 not only loses certain performance capabilities (e.g. - MQA, DSD), but also essentially wipes out the Meridian "tuning" of the DAC? I thought that's something that was relatively "baked in". (And yes, I'm NOT really all that concerned about not having MQA or DSD capabilities, at this point, so that's not a big deal.)

I understand that I can EQ the sound to my preference through various apps, but I listen to a pretty eclectic mix of music, and am not really looking to create different EQ signatures for classical, jazz, acoustic, fusion, progressive rock, etc. I'd frankly prefer to at least start out by hearing what a real "tuning house" (Meridian) thought the sound signature should sound like. That said - you're right, I do have concerns about bricking the phone right out of the gate by trying to roll back to Android 9 or 10.

This may or may not be the most appropriate thread to ask (and if not, please feel free to let me know which threads WOULD be) - but it would be great to hear from anyone with a G8x who can provide any insight into the impact of each upgrade beyond Android 9 (and up to Android 12) does to the SOUND SIGNATURE of the phone. Again - I don't have a comparative point of reference, since I just got the phone and haven't even listened to it yet. I'd just like to know, before I invest time in setting it up, if it's sound quality running on Android 12 is up to par with its potential, or whether the updates have degraded it - in which case I may still consider attempting a roll-back.

I suppose my other option is to pick up a cheap G8x in less pristine condition, but with the older OS (would A9 or A10 be preferred?), and at low cost, which would allow me to do my own direct comparison. Yeesh - I thought I was at the point in my life where I was past the point of going down these rabbit holes...

Thanks again in advance for any insights and recommendations (including if I should be posting this elsewhere)

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,122 of 1,181
I have both the V30 (Android 9) and V40 (10) and have owned for a few years now when both phones operated on earlier Android OS platforms. With UAPP no issues. I own a few MQA Studio albums and both V phones fully decode these too - all is good. Still love the audio fidelity from these phones. Even though I do like the RU6 more, I regularly revert back for listening sessions using both the V30 and V40 :L3000:.

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #1,123 of 1,181
Thanks, 6Channel and scottm18, for your responses. You're right about the plethora of confusing, and sometimes contradictory information on the topic on the various V-phone & music app threads. I've seen quite a bit more response to the caution of not upgrading beyond Android 9 (or 10) - but precious little about going beyond that, and what Android 12 does to the sound signature, capabilities, etc of the G8x. For all I know, maybe it FIXED some things that A11 mucked up - but I haven't really seen anything noted about that - just, "don't upgrade beyond Android 10" warnings.

One of the reasons I picked up that particular phone was to give me a "Meridian-tuned" comparative to the V30's B&O tuning, so that I could make my own subjective decision. That said, from what I'm reading in your responses, the OS upgrade beyond Android 9 or 10 not only loses certain performance capabilities (e.g. - MQA, DSD), but also essentially wipes out the Meridian "tuning" of the DAC? I thought that's something that was relatively "baked in". (And yes, I'm NOT really all that concerned about not having MQA or DSD capabilities, at this point, so that's not a big deal.)

I understand that I can EQ the sound to my preference through various apps, but I listen to a pretty eclectic mix of music, and am not really looking to create different EQ signatures for classical, jazz, acoustic, fusion, progressive rock, etc. I'd frankly prefer to at least start out by hearing what a real "tuning house" (Meridian) thought the sound signature should sound like. That said - you're right, I do have concerns about bricking the phone right out of the gate by trying to roll back to Android 9 or 10.

This may or may not be the most appropriate thread to ask (and if not, please feel free to let me know which threads WOULD be) - but it would be great to hear from anyone with a G8x who can provide any insight into the impact of each upgrade beyond Android 9 (and up to Android 12) does to the SOUND SIGNATURE of the phone. Again - I don't have a comparative point of reference, since I just got the phone and haven't even listened to it yet. I'd just like to know, before I invest time in setting it up, if it's sound quality running on Android 12 is up to par with its potential, or whether the updates have degraded it - in which case I may still consider attempting a roll-back.

I suppose my other option is to pick up a cheap G8x in less pristine condition, but with the older OS (would A9 or A10 be preferred?), and at low cost, which would allow me to do my own direct comparison. Yeesh - I thought I was at the point in my life where I was past the point of going down these rabbit holes...

Thanks again in advance for any insights and recommendations (including if I should be posting this elsewhere)
I think you'll be fine with both players: my main squeeze is a 600Ω Beyer 880, which needs an amp to deliver optimum dynamics, and my "Meridian" V40 sounds identifiably warmer & rounder compared to my "B&O" V20/V30s. That distinction is lost when I swap in most other cans. YMMcertainlyV. From what you're worried about, I'd just glom onto a great app like Neutron, UAPP, Poweramp, or Foobar, declare victory, and enjoy some great hi-rez files. I'm very, very suspicious that LG has been able to somehow "re-code" their phone's ESS chips to specific flavors - I'm guessing they tweaked it otherwise on the circuit board. I've listened to LOTS of DACs, and these crazy LG phones still come out on top (for me). The only improvement I expect will be from stacked AKM 4493's or ESS 9038PRO, which I have yet to hear - and they won't be in a cell phone.
"Let your ears do the walking"

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #1,125 of 1,181
Hi all,
Long time LG VXX owner; a V10 sitting dormant on my desk, a V30 (A9) wired into an old Denon AVR-2805 (no HDMI capabilities), and my V60 (A12) daily phone. Really appreciate all the knowledgeable talk here.

2 questions (wrt the V30):
- This is wired from the headphone jack to a VCR input on the receiver. Is this the best connection I can make? I did try the phono input but it sounded like it needed attenuation. Very crunchy. Should mention there is a MIC input on the receiver but I only use that for Denon's room analyzer.

- UAPP is my preferred app, although I've also fooled around with Neutron and PowerAMP. Do I understand correctly that multichannel music will not pass through the 1/8" jack. It always shows up as "Analog" on the receiver, so I think I know the answer there. AFAIK, multichannel can only be sent through HDMI (or is it any digital connect, ie Optical?). I have pretty good hearing for detail (strong musical training background) and I know I hear the benefits of 24bit recording (given a good acoustic source) but I don't know what setting I should be using on the Denon regarding Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo - 6, Pro Logic IIx, and Widescreen 7.1 processing. Kind of a convoluted question, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back