Music Hall Maverick to my DAC1?
Dec 21, 2006 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
hey folks,

I've been thinking about a $1,000 transport for my DAC1 (my cheapy Sony SACD player has got me craving to find a player that can output SACD as well). One that seems interesting is the Music Hall Maverick. Since it's actually made by a Chinese company, I'm wondering if the coaxial can actually output SACD via coxial and if it would be readable by the DAC1? At least all the ads seem to indicate that it can output both CD and SACD digitally. Does anyone know if that's true?

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Does anyone know how the SACD playback is on the Music Hall? Guess I could switch from it and my DAC1 (for redbook) to my amp.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It cannot output SACD via coax and even if it could the DAC1 couldn't decode it.

These ads I'm reading about it are totally misleading because it specifically says you can use it as a SACD/ redbook transport. Since it is using a Sony DSD DAC for the SACD part, I was wondering if it then can output PCM via coaxial. Well it will probably be a good redbook transport, and if it downgrades SACD to the Benchmark....it will be interesting to see how it's SACD compares to the DAC1's redbook (since my cheapy SACD Sony's SACDs sound pretty anemic now).

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 6
As far as I know, the only SACD deck that outputs DSD digitally is the Sony XA9000ES. It'll send out an encrypted stream via HDMI. Only thing is that the DACs capable of handling that are in the five figure region.

Still, the XA9000ES is a nice deck. They list at $3,000, but you can find them street around $1,800 and refurbs around $1,600.

I also wanted to upgrade from the CE595, and ended up buying the Marantz SA8001. I don't know if it'd be a good fit for you, but it is worth looking at.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Well I read lots of good reviews on the Music Hall......and Audio Advisor is having an unbelievable clearance on it ($500 off!!!). So it's being shipped: hopefully will get it before the new year! I've decided I'll use it as transport for my redbooks, and player for SACD (reviews of its SACD seem promising). Since it's only coaxial/ and the adapter I have more my computer is coaxial/ I'm also getting a digital switchbox. Since the SACD player and DAC1 will both be fed to my Single Power amp, I also needed an audio switchbox. Found a Sony passive one that seemed professional enough to have good connections. So I think I've got the SACD problem solved.........untill I get to listen to the really high end boys probably
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've noticed that the high end series Pioneer, Denon, and Sonys now have firewire (I-Link) output for SACD and DVD-A. Reading on forums, it sounds like many do send a DSD signal/ but some send a PCM (I know that many DVD players now can send SACD through HDMI by converting to PCM). I may look into getting a cheapy Oppo DVD player to hook to my HDTV.....right now I have a Samsung that I have to keep at bitrate to get 5.1 surround off my reciever. Since my TV has optical out, I'm thinking I could output that PCM signal via my TV. However, since this requires a lot of electronics in the chain.....the sound probably won't approach that from the Music Hall player (at least I hope!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back