Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk. II & V-Link Mk. II
Jul 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

entrope

New Head-Fier
Oh dear, just stumbled into this;

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Musical-Fidelity-VDAC-II-DAC/product_5381

Used to be a pretty die-hard Musical Fidelity fan until I found that their constant product updates had become quite a joke.

Had been thinking of getting a V-DAC and V-Link for another setup though, and then found that. Sheesh.

I assume this is something very recent? And anyone have a clue if the V-Link is also due for an Mk. II refresh?

Update: Yup, V-Link Mk. II refresh found here! http://www.musicdirect.com/p-53341-musical-fidelity-v-link-mk-ii-usb-to-coax-converter.aspx

(New case work does look nice though, but cannot help notice that the price is fifty quids more than the previous V-DAC.)

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 92
Nice find. Looks like the v-link is no longer need with this version.

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 92
Just got word from my Hi-Fi guy that it is not approved for the U.S. yet.  May be awhile before it will come here.  I'm trying to get one from UK.

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 92
I think the V-Link will still have its uses if you're really adamant on having your audio system as disconnected from your PC as possible.

I've always liked the idea of having a piece of optic fiber between my PC and audio system as it helps with isolation :)

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 92
I don't know if I get the UK unit if it will work here in the States. Anyone know if the power supply is universal?

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 92
The new V-DAC also seems to rely on a wall wart power supply so power shouldn't be much of a concern really.

Most of them are compatible with voltages between 100 and 240... and even if they aren't finding a replacement unit is usually not too complex.

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 92
Just ordered one of these. Should be here in a week or so. Getting great press in the UK and I was a fan of the original, so looking forward to hearing the updated model.

o

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 92

Quote:
Just ordered one of these. Should be here in a week or so. Getting great press in the UK and I was a fan of the original, so looking forward to hearing the updated model.

o

Please, post your thoughts when you get the DAC. I was also a big fan of the original vdac. This could be the must buy product :). And again you know why you get up to work every morning, just because you can buy things to your cabinets :D

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 92

Would definitely be interested in feedback on this unit too :)

I'm currently looking for a mini setup I can use at work... though it'll be headphone based so I'll likely wait for a V-CAN II as I'm quite a nut when it comes to matching my gear :p

Am using a DAC3.5vb+VBS on my main setup but I do like to play around with DAC's a fair bit. Looking to get a Metrum Octave real soon, its design looks very interesting for sure.

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 92
i had the v-dac for some time and the sound was ok for the price. Hated the fact it didn't have an on/off switch (the new one doesn't have one either).

The power supply must have been underrated powerwise since it overheated. I used a bigger one (more Amperes - same Voltage) and the problem was gone.

Overall there were some other problems with the build quality as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back