Musical Fidelity V Series
Aug 29, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 11
So there's this really cool, state of the art invention called the "Search" function. I hear some websites even have it. You should check it out sometime.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 11
I was looking for intelligent thought on the V Series from other owners. Not smug drivel. I guess I don't write on the internet at 3:30AM and sit there beating My chest (or other body parts). This is exactly the response I wasn't looking for.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 11
So you'd rather start a one sentence thread asking for people's opinions on a pair of very popular items, rather than use the SEARCH function and read up on the myriad posts that have already been posted?

Sorry, if you came here looking to be spoon-fed, but you have to at least put in some nominal effort.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi,iv'e got a V-Dac and it sounds very nearly as nice as my £2,000 cd player.And that's with the standard wall-wart.
If anything it's a bit warmer,but not quite as detailed.Can't see the point in getting anything more expensive.

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 11
I have a nice new Pioneer VSX23 for My home theater (which I never get to use for music) I also had an early 2000 sony receiver and cd player (which I didn't like the sound of).
I bought a pair of Grado SR 125's to listen to music when the family was asleep. I liked the sound as much as My Monitor Audio speakers.
I still didn't get to listen to music very often but then I started reading about the Vdac.
I bought one and hooked it up to My old receiver and cd player and plugged in My Grado's
WOW !  Now the old receiver and cd player sound great (better than My HT)
After I broke it in the sound got better and better.
I bought the Vpsu which definitely made the sound smoother (especially the top end) and more full bodied.
Now I hade to take the plunge and buy the Vcan.
I'm glad I did. the Vcan made the sound (compared to My old receiver) cleaner and clearer, even if the volume knob is very sensitive. I wonder if thats just for Grado's ?
I'm no audio expert but I am enjoying this rig.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 11
Lots of V-Can owner responses and questions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/391721/musical-fidelity-v-dac-owners

Welcome to HF!

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Lots of V-Can owner responses and questions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/391721/musical-fidelity-v-dac-owners

Welcome to HF!

Thanks, I'm glad to see most HF'ers are not Hypercritical Whiners. I am upgrading My phones from an SR125 to HF 2. I am wondering if the Vcan compares to a tube amp like the little dot mk III.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad to see most HF'ers are not Hypercritical Whiners. I am upgrading My phones from an SR125 to HF 2. I am wondering if the Vcan compares to a tube amp like the little dot mk III.

No problems! I had a warm welcome when I joined!

That's a tough question because you're comparing a DAC source to an amplification source. 

Are you asking if the V-Can sounds warm and lush as most people think tube amps are?

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 11
I am happy withe the sound of the V-dac. It's with the V-can that I have questions. It is clean and clear sounding but the volume knob is very sensitive. From what I've read It is also solid state. All the descriptions of the 'tube sound' seem to fit in with My Musical tastes. Are there any downsides of sub $500  tube amps compared to solid state ?

Quote:
No problems! I had a warm welcome when I joined!

That's a tough question because you're comparing a DAC source to an amplification source. 

Are you asking if the V-Can sounds warm and lush as most people think tube amps are?

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
I am happy withe the sound of the V-dac. It's with the V-can that I have questions. It is clean and clear sounding but the volume knob is very sensitive. From what I've read It is also solid state. All the descriptions of the 'tube sound' seem to fit in with My Musical tastes. Are there any downsides of sub $500  tube amps compared to solid state ?

Ultimately, it's what you like to listen to.  Some prefer tubes to SS, some like both.

The only downside with tubes is that you have to replace them eventually and it gets expensive if you start tube rolling (ie: trying different tubes to change the sound signature). I believe that tubes last for hundreds of hours so it's not a huge issue...

There are also hybrid amps you can consider: SS with a tube section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back