Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #332 of 964
Im looking to sell my M2-D2 as I want to upgrade to the latest version.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced the original capacitors and case screws. Does anyone have a link where I can buy replacements from or does anyone have any they would like to sell.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #333 of 964
Im looking to sell my M2-D2 as I want to upgrade to the latest version.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced the original capacitors and case screws. Does anyone have a link where I can buy replacements from or does anyone have any they would like to sell.

The screws are M4. 8mm. Should be able to find them. Someone on the forum should have the original Obbligato Golds laying around.

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #342 of 964
I finally put upgraded caps in my MPD2 MKII with the ES9038 modules. In some ways I am glad I waited rather than ordering the fully loaded MPD2 MKII, plus no sticker shock all at once. Doing the upgrades in stages allows you to hear the changes the different upgrades bring to the table. Heck if you have the money, go for the full meal deal, but it is nice to hear the changes. I tried some different tubes and settled on some old 1967 Philips PCC88 and a 1959 Amperex GZ34. I then put a HIFI Tuning Supreme fuse in it, ya that made a difference too.

Finally did the caps. Those Obbligato Golds aren't bad. They are something a person can easily live with, good bang for the dollar for sure. I am running balanced, so you are limited to the size of the caps. I measured the distance between the binding posts with old caps out using a caliper and I got just over 59 mm. So you have to use a cap less than 59 mm if you are running balanced. I didn't do any exact measurements for a diameter maximum, but probably something around 45 mm, maybe a little fatter.

What did I buy...I wanted Duelund Cast Pio tinned Coppers, but they would have been around $1000 US and I probably only could have used 1uf. I considered the Duelund Jam Coppers 1uf 45mmD x 55mmL for $72 US each. The Jupiter Coppers look good, either the 1.5uF for $145 US each (sold out though) or the Jupiter Copper 2.2uF for $195 US each. I ultimately decided maybe the Jupiter are too pricey. I thought about the Audyn Copper (not the Max), but they were like 60mm in diameter and I don't think they would have fit...not for a balanced configuration anyways. Gary told me he didn't like the Audyn coppers, If they were a little skinnier I probably would have tried them.

So after all my shopping I went with what Gary uses, the Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil 2.2uF. I was going to get the Mundorf SGO 3.3uF and Gary said, just get the 2.2uF. I bought them from Parts Connexion. Chris did a US price match, so I bought Canadian.

I originally wanted coppers, but after reading that Humble Homemade HiFi cap test. I figured I would like the Mundorf SGO. The Cap Test reviews said the SGO have bowling alley depth and I do like that. The review said they are a little emphasized in the upper treble...I took a chance. They were a little harder to install than I thought. I didn't want to cut the cap leads just in case I sell them someday, maybe I will try out the Jupiter copper.

My first impressions I don't find the treble offensive so that was a relief. Cymbals sound more alive/splashy. I think drums are a little more defined, better bass too. Voices are smoother. The soundstage is larger all around height, width, and maybe depth too. The SGO are definitely an improvement over the Obbligatos. I only just put them in, so they are only going to get better.

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #344 of 964
I asked Gary and I believe it was a 3.0A slow blow 5x20 Well, the fuse doesn't make a night and day difference, but it made a difference...I think just a little bit more airy.
I bought it from Analogue Seduction in UK and it was around $50 CAD shipped. You cant get much for $50, so I would say go for it.
There are cheaper HiFi Tuning fuses, the Supreme is the best. Or there are other fuse options, Furutech, Synergistic Research. I did a bit of reading on fuses and the Supremes seemed good bang for buck

The thing with mods like tubes, caps , fuses, and my IFI igalvanic3.0 it is a cumulative effect...everything makes a difference.
So far I have about 20 hours on the Mundorf SGO caps and they smoothed out a bit. So far I would have to say I love them, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I thought about buying a MKIII, but I wanted to see what the SGO would bring first. Now I would buy a MKIII to see what it sounds like stock, then swap in tubes, caps, fuse, and ES9038 modules

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #345 of 964
I installed ...

Duelund Jam Tinned Copper, Paper in oil, 2.2uf, with less than 300 hrs, still burning in.
JJ E88CC (normal), pair
GE 5Y3 GT
ESS 9038

I have been swapping default dac module AK4490 and ESS 9038 over time.
I would prefer the AK with JJ and Obbligato.
Once after Duelund 150 hr burn in, the headache sounding treble gone, ESS and JJ is the best.

Had a pair of EH 6H30PI Gold, but I kept running back to JJ E88CC.
My thought on JJ is rich, intense mid and good define low. Able to bring out airy and dynamic presentation than EH. JJ has higher gain than EH. Con is in some recording, a bit sibilance in female vocal.
I love how JJ and Duelund brings warm, organic and dynamic to guitar, violin, flute, piano, strings, bells and drum.

Eva Cassidy, Fields of Gold.
It gave a pub feeling at home, I was awed as each string on the guitars were plucked. Her voice was beautiful and personal, felt she was right in front of me, singing. A bit sibilance in her voice.

Sarah Brightman, Arabian Nights.
I sensed the concert hall environment. Again I was awed by her strong sensational airy floating voice. Wide sound stage. I can sensed the space between co-singers.

Jheena Lodwick, Do That To Me One More Time.
Jazz in a pub feeling. Strong vocal, mixed with the low rumbling bass gaiter with sharp knocking on the tom, joined by woody airy flute. Beautiful.

Zhao Cong, Moonlight on Spring River.
Wow, the bells rang with decay, drum pounded with force and she struck/pluck/strummed each string on the pipa with all my attention, not overly bright sounding. Felt I was in the Qin Dynasty Royal Palace. Awesome.

Jan Harbeck Quartet, Too Darn Hot.
Sound of the saxophone, cello bass, piano bass and of course the drum, MPD2 brought out the excitement of bass in the music.

Now, listening to Richard Marx, Endless Summer Nights
MP D2 is a performer, enjoyable, lively, warm and non tiring at average of 65 db,
5 hrs running non stop for today.

DAC: MP D2 mk2, SE, preamp
Amp: Roksan Kandy 3 Integrated, by-pass preamp
Speaker: Dali Ikon 6 mk2
Subwoofer: No

Users who are viewing this thread

Back