My 10 cents
Nov 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DiscoBurger

100+ Head-Fier
I maybe not be able to step back and be objective in this post as I am embittered by the recent loss of my HJE900s. I am an avid music fan and a handful of months ago (lets say 6) I bought a pair of gorgeous HJE900s, I eagerly awaited their arrival like a small child waiting for his favorite magazine, highlights. When finally they came I ripped the box opened, scattering the contents contained in the box of my glorious new IEMs. At first glance the HJEs are, for lack of a less gay word, stunning. They darkily shine with a gunmetal/purple radiance that is really nice looking. The first problem I encountered was the tips, the provided stock ones are horrendous-bad seal and fit. I quickly remedied this and ran to my computer to order a new set of comply foam tips. These tips are rad by the way they come in red and blue which look great at the end of my HJEs. Anyway, these tips fixed the seal problem, but the weight of the IEM is so much so that they have a tendency to pop out at most inopportune times, especially in the gym. The sound at first seemed a bit high in treble, but truly unique none the less, and for the price very very very well rounded. My preference is more towards things that are a little more bassy and the HJEs are not...the bass is well rounded and clean, but not at all pounding. I wore my headphones for about 4-6 hours a day and after a few months I still found them to be a bit piercing at high volumes. The real problem came when after 6 months my left headphone popped out of my ear and collided into my leg, apparently the impact of this alone was enough to snap it in half like a twig. I have since been searching for a replacement ear bud and while you can remove the ear buds from the cable apparently no such part exsists. I called panasonic and the bogus part number he gave me (RFX7599) brings me no hits on google. My experience with the HJEs was fairly negative and I'd urge people to think twice before purchasing these IEMs.....the cable is also reallllllly short. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 14
Interesting comments... the slight high-end harshness some people report together with the well-documented fit/weight/comfort issues (especially when wearing straight down) have caused me to look elsewhere for my next IEMs. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 14
Not saying your opinion is wrong but you probably have to order the replacement earbud direct from Panasonic.  I know for many Sennheiser parts you must order direct from them, part number or no part number.  It not showing up on google is not necessarily an indication that it is bogus.

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
 My experience with the HJEs was fairly negative and I'd urge people to think twice before purchasing these IEMs.....the cable is also reallllllly short. 

Funny - Yet you wore them for 4-6 hours a day for 6 months.  Also, not sure how QZ can snap like a twig while hitting a soft body part.  Something sure sounds fishy in this story.  What's the real truth??

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Quote:
 My experience with the HJEs was fairly negative and I'd urge people to think twice before purchasing these IEMs.....the cable is also reallllllly short. 

Funny - Yet you wore them for 4-6 hours a day for 6 months.  Also, not sure how QZ can snap like a twig while hitting a soft body part.  Something sure sounds fishy in this story.  What's the real truth??

popcorn.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 14
I'll respond to both of your comments bebop and Kjd. The cable was short but since I am 5'11'' it was fine for me, I do think, however, that that is a good heads up to give interested parties...no? I wore them for 6 months because they were fine just at times rather annoying, like in the gym or walking somewhere, they would come out and, yes, sometimes the short cable would cause them to pop out if I was wearing deep pocketed pants. Kjd, nothing was fishy about my tale at all, that is the truth, my theory is that I wore them so often that I simply wore them down until one day in the locker room five feet away from a nude man they fell and snapped on my leg. As for the part I've looked online on panas replacement part website, and I even called...no such part to be had. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
I'll respond to both of your comments bebop and Kjd. The cable was short but since I am 5'11'' it was fine for me, I do think, however, that that is a good heads up to give interested parties...no? I wore them for 6 months because they were fine just at times rather annoying, like in the gym or walking somewhere, they would come out and, yes, sometimes the short cable would cause them to pop out if I was wearing deep pocketed pants. Kjd, nothing was fishy about my tale at all, that is the truth, my theory is that I wore them so often that I simply wore them down until one day in the locker room five feet away from a nude man they fell and snapped on my leg. As for the part I've looked online on panas replacement part website, and I even called...no such part to be had. 

There is no part, email or call and tell them your problem they'll give you a re-stocking#, and a address. You send it get it back and walla you enjoy again. And yes the cable is short, the Sleek helps with this.

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 14
I love my Pana's and am fairly surprised that all it took was a bump on  your leg to break it, maybe you got a fault pair to begin with?

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I love my Pana's and am fairly surprised that all it took was a bump on  your leg to break it, maybe you got a fault pair to begin with?

There's a test with them being hit with a hammer don't have a link,(I also conducted my own test) Hardness: Cubic zirconia has a rating of approximately 8 on Mohs hardness scale vs. a rating of 10 for diamonds. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 14
I figured as much, it really doesn't make sense that they would break after hitting work pants especially considering they are made of CZ. Which is why I think he got a bad pair in the first place. Either that or it's a massive wind up for whatever reason. Maybe not everyones cup of tea but to say they are bad IEM's is just silly 

Quote:
Quote:

There's a test with them being hit with a hammer don't have a link,(I also conducted my own test) Hardness: Cubic zirconia has a rating of approximately 8 on Mohs hardness scale vs. a rating of 10 for diamonds. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Hmm but maybe to him there bad, lol. Oh well. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 14
I'm surprised that your headphones broke so easily. I guess it's defective?

Also, I thought they had a lot of bass, but at the time I was coming from Etymotics so I guess that's why I found the bass to be so powerful. The highs were kinda harsh but they settled down with burn in. I didn't like how recessed the mids were though.

My biggest complaint and the main reason I sold my HJE900's was the fit. None of the supplied tips fit cord up or down. I bought some Sony Hybrids and that didn't work either because the weight and shallow insertion of the phones kept pulling them out. I ended up having to wear the headphones over ear, but with my smallish ears it made it very awkward and the headphones were super uncomfortable with the long connector.

The cable also only reached down to my waist, no where near my pocket and that was pretty irritating.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I'm surprised that your headphones broke so easily. I guess it's defective?

Also, I thought they had a lot of bass, but at the time I was coming from Etymotics so I guess that's why I found the bass to be so powerful. The highs were kinda harsh but they settled down with burn in. I didn't like how recessed the mids were though.

My biggest complaint and the main reason I sold my HJE900's was the fit. None of the supplied tips fit cord up or down. I bought some Sony Hybrids and that didn't work either because the weight and shallow insertion of the phones kept pulling them out. I ended up having to wear the headphones over ear, but with my smallish ears it made it very awkward and the headphones were super uncomfortable with the long connector.

The cable also only reached down to my waist, no where near my pocket and that was pretty irritating.

Damm man I'd wish you had p'med me I'd have told you to get the SA6 cables. Fit is superb, isolation is a notch or so up and the mids come out. It loses some of that awesome 3dness but it's comfortable nonetheless so i'm not complaining. They sit all the way in-ear now could't ask for more, tip experimenting is even more of a joy now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back