My (amateur) review of the Shure SE535
Oct 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fatmonkeyryit

New Head-Fier
This is not intended to be a full detailed review, it is also my first so bear with me.

For the past 3 years I was using the UE Super.fi 5's. Loved them. Lost them a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to move up to a high-end IEM. Went to Future shop and bought the Monster Turbine Pro Copper's (after testing these, the Klipsch X10s and the Westone 3s). These things really blast your brains out (in a good way) so I liked them at first. The built quality didn't seem very good and I wanted a replaceable cable so I ordered a pair of 535's since I had the option to return the Monster's anyways. Now that I've had both for a week, I can confidently say the 535's are better in every way. The Monster's emphasize the low-end and mids which really give you that WOW feeling the minute you press play, this is all fine and dandy for 15 minutes but then I started to wish I could listen to music without being in pain.... The box likens the Turbine Pros to "audiophile reference loudspeakers". There's nothing "reference" about these things so I'm gonna go ahead and give them a big thumbs down... 

Now... when I first put on the 535's and found a good seal my first thought was how comfy they are. You could wear these all day and they won't hurt your ears. Build quality seems good and the replaceable cable is super awesome since that's always first to go. Then I pressed play and didn't get the WOW feeling at all. I was pissed. BUT I was also an idiot. After listening to some of my favorite tunes I realized how the 535's are both flat and fun at the same time. No booombastic bass like the Monster's, just bass the way the artist intended. I resent reviews that say the 535's have no bass. They have plenty once you have a good seal, it's just not pumped up to 11.

SQ
Low-end is tight and realistic. You won't have your brains blown out but it's there as much as it should be.
Mids are brilliant and perhaps a little upfront.
High-end is sweet and I'm not hearing the roll-off some people are talking about. One of my fav artists is Rufus Wainwright and I've never heard it sound better when he hits those high notes.

To sum up, while I haven't tried everything in this price category, I make no reservations about recommending the 535s to anyone willing to open up their wallet that wide. They feel great, sound great (don't make your ears tired either) and look pretty cool too. To make one complaint, the cable is too long for me.... maybe I just feel like I should say one bad thing about them but I would like it if Shure started selling a shorter cable I could buy.

Hope this helps someone!

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 5
Interesting review, straight to the point and not overly wordy.

I do have to agree with you regarding the SQ of the SE535s, they don't immediately stand out, but you soon come to realise how much quality they present across the freq range. I also agree that they don't lack bass, the bass is there, and it really does go low, its just not over emphasised as some other iems.

I've had some fit issues with mine, but I think this is probably down to my smaller than average ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back