My Choral housed Chord Mscaler
Sep 18, 2022 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 170

Reactcore

1000+ Head-Fier
Update: read the second part of installing the optical link in Mscaler and Dave Here
Update 4-12-2022: See the design of a boxed optic receiver for Dave Here
See also my Dave's PSU amp upgrade Here

Dear readers,

By request i started this thread to discuss and update the progress of my project of the Choral housed Mscaler.

To give context to how i came to this idea of creating one i tell the history of my findings along the way.

In 2015 i started with a Chord Mojo portable DAC-AMP which had let me hear the benefits of Rob Watts transient reconstruction techniques using so called taps to probe the original sampled signal. For the ones not familiar to this i give the Mscaler official thread link here: Official Mscaler thread

Then going up the ladder i aquired myself a Qutest. This is a compact DAC only unit without a built in amp and has multible digital inputs, among them being two Spdif BNC inputs which could accept a dual data input coming from a Mscaler device. This unit really gave a easily hearable boost in transient reconstruction using one million taps.

From 2 available colours i chose the black version instead of the silver cause the Qutest is only available in black.
Because the Mscaler is housed in a TT2 (Table Top) style housing my pair stacked together did'nt look like they are made for each other.

My Qutest on Mscaler
Qutest on HMS.jpg

But the Qutest appeared to suffer a tiny bit of sound degradation caused by RF interferrence seeping over the dual coaxial cables. which manifested itself by giving a bit of grain to the high frequencies of the sound masking a bit of the tiny details of the sound. but as the Qutest is a bit softer sounding i was'nt too much bothered by it.

Later when my funds allowed i went for my next upgrade. While the TT2 was appealing as the perfect unit to supplement the Mscaler i knew i would eventualy wanted to go for the final step.. the Dave. So i skipped TT2 and and got the Dave which is housed in a different style named the Choral line.

And also this time.. although i chose the Dave in black.. the two units are totally different shaped not fitting each other esthetically.

Dave on top of Mscaler
20220918_204541.jpg

I am aware of the Blu2 CD transport which is in the Choral style from which the Mscaler inherited its upsampling tech but Blu2 cant be stacked up or under Dave without special stands or other cabinet. Also it misses an optical toslink input which i find a must have for rejecting RF and lastly i never spin CD's anyway as i have my music ripped on a server.

So there i was listening to my stacked units, as Dave is more resolving than Qutest i realized the RF problem is easier perceivable than before even giving me listening fatigue on some tracks.

There are several treatments available like ferrite dampened coax cables (Wave) and even an optical bridge (Opto DX). This last one caught my attention the most as this completely eliminates the electrical connection rather than suppressing the RF noise. But it still has coax cables running outside the DAC acting as antennas and the units need batteries to be away from mains noise.

So being an engineer myself i came to the idea of creating an optical dual data link myself using two sets of 820nm Avago LED and receiver units which i built in Dave and Mscaler wired internally to both device's BNC connectors.
Both sides taking the power from within so only a fiber will be running outside.

Since Dave has 4 BNC inputs i can swap two out by Avago ST type receivers. for this i can place a L shaped metal strip on its PCB letting the plastic ST barrels stick outside Dave's housing.

But in the case of the Mscaler i will loose the BNC connection option then. And looking in its housing there is no room to place them aside the existing connectors on the back.

Then it occurred to me.. what if i design a new Mscaler housing in the Choral style that can be placed under Dave?
i openend up my Mscaler, measured the PCB and found that it easily fits the choral housing measurements of 333x140mm

So i grabbed my measurement tools, started up my Autocad program and began to draw the PCB in detail.
i found that the Mscaler's back side consisted of a removable plate through which the connectors stick out.
This simplifies my design as i dont have to precisely line up the holes.

Mscaler main and button PCB with mounting holes and backplate, on underside the FPGA is located
Acad PCBs.jpg

Next up is measuring exactly the Choral housing of Dave to create the basic shape

Choral box, i noticed the curved sides are actually a cutout from a 333mm diameter circle
Choral box.jpg

After having drawed the basic box i positioned the Mscaler's main PCB slightly out of the middle so aside of it theres room for my optic link units. also i positioned the button PCB on a 20° angle tilted forwards so the buttons come closer to the front edge. this is needed so i can access them easily when Dave is on top.

Bottom part out of one solid piece, backpanel fitting in caving, heatsink block for FPGA cooling
Bottom pic.jpg

Then it was time to design the top part with the buttons.
I made the top plate out of 20mm thick block and had to draw the button balls which are actually coned cylinders
I went for a squared 20° angled caving with chamfered edges just like the rest of the housing.
The caving i kept small so that Dave's feet wont float above it but keep solid ground to stand on.

Side view of device, blue is top part with bolt holes
Side picture.jpg

To be able to CNC this housing it must consist of solid forms. i created only 2 parts to manufacture keeping in mind that its round drills that will cut out the material so creating round shaped inner corners.

To get an impression in advance i fired up my Navisworks program and did some rendering on the Choral Mscaler.
I also have drawn Dave to place it on top to see how they look stacked up.

Front.png

Feet comment.png

Back side:
Optic comment.png

Choral Mscaler alone:
Choral HMS.jpg

After tweaking and finetuning its time to select a manufacturer so i went searching for capable places.
I ended up up with a Chinese company which i send my 2 files in IGES format. I also send pictures of Dave and discussed for brushed and black anodized aluminium but the caving cant be brushed cause the round rolls cant reach into the corners. Dave's caving and round portholes are sandblasted. so my unit will get this treatment.

Now its fingers crossed if my measurements are right and the finnishing is as i noted.

First pictures of the parts being CNCed, theyre made out of solid blocks of aluminium
just like Dave.
Top CNC.jpg

Bottom CNC.jpg

CNC making.png

Its closing finnishing with black annodizing:
The caving misses the right treatment still

image_2022_09_14T06_55_47_929Z-1.png

Now this is more like it, sandblasted in caving:

029C68A1-1E02-405E-A54D-8FC3973A2220-1.png

Ok this is the end of my post sofar..

I keep updating this thread as i get more to show.
After i get the pieces i will post the assembling.

Cheers everyone :)

Continue reading the installing of the optical link in Mscaler and Dave Here

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 170
Very cool, I like machining and turning chunks of aluminium into smaller chunks of aluminium :wink:

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 170
Seriously cool, look forward to the updates and fingers crossed the finished article is up to the great work you've already put in!

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 170
A really cool project and I look forward to seeing you progress with it.

Also when it comes time to take out the Dave mother board to do the work on that it will be interesting to see how easily it comes out.

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 170
A really cool project and I look forward to seeing you progress with it.

Also when it comes time to take out the Dave mother board to do the work on that it will be interesting to see how easily it comes out.

I already took Dave's PCB out once to do measuring.. The chip on the underside is the USB driver and the OP first stage opamps are there on the right.

To get it out i had to remove the display which is gluekitted on the heatsink covering a PCB screw.

20220709_182323.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 170
Time to experiment further.. this time with a 74ACT00 4x NAND driver feeding the optic transmitter (3ns r/f time)..

20220920_125306.jpg

The pots are for LED current and DC input bias
20220921_182258.jpg
These SOP/SSOPP adapter PCB's are handy.

I had 384Khz already working using a SN75453 NAND (5ns r/f) on one BNC link of HMS-Dave but it was too voltage critical for my taste..
But it already sounded sublime on batteries out of the casings.

IMG-20220805-WA0004.jpeg

But my real hopes are on the ordered 74LVC00A chip (1.5ns r/f time) ..
but china sendings take so long to be delivered..

For the final circuit i will design a dedicated PCB for in Dave and Choral Mscaler.

Attachments

• 20220921_182208.jpg
    20220921_182208.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 170
Ok just fired it up.. Nice! 384k instantly

Lets put this to the test. What a difference.. with or without psu attached on the DAC side
(Middle unit)

20220921_201332.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 170
Damn.. i can just switch some of the reverb on and off by (de)taching the external supply on optic RX side.. amazing.. promising

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 170
Is it sad that even though I don't fully understand what I'm looking at it still makes me excited?
Sorry for the messy picture its just a experimental setup to test..

What you see is Mscaler BNC signal put into a driver chip feeding a optic transmitter.. then via a optic cable into a optic receiver which makes electric pulses (digital data) of the light.. this going into Dave's BNC input.

This eliminating any groundloop and RF noise from Mscaler to Dave

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 170
Now feeding the optic receiver with Dave's own internal 5v power.

Just as i expected.. clean harsch free sounding just like using a battery..
I'm still waiting on a second receiver to make full scaling

20220922_214255.jpg

20220922_224537.jpg

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 170
Now feeding the optic receiver with Dave's own internal 5v power.

Just as i expected.. clean harsch free sounding just like using a battery..
I'm still waiting on a second receiver to make full scaling
I admire your tinkering and await more with anticipation! Will the Mscaler and Dave both be mains powered in your eventual configuration (I’m thinking of possible noise circumvention on the groundplain)?

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 170
I admire your tinkering and await more with anticipation! Will the Mscaler and Dave both be mains powered in your eventual configuration (I’m thinking of possible noise circumvention on the groundplain)?

Initially i keep on stock psu's. But will later create my own psu.

I disconnected Dave's internal ground pin though which effect on sound is quite noticable by itself.

Why is my 2nd receiver taking so long to arrive

Anyway the housing will be shipped tomorrow😁 more waiting for arrivals

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 170
20220928_112214.jpg

Its arrived 😃
Just perfect ..it looks even better in my hands

Now will eveything fit inside?
But i must work first.. tonight i will try😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back