my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Jun 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #331 of 675
No worries. I'm sure they will be shared once everything is ready.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #332 of 675
I saw this today and thought it would make a GREAT electronics case...never have to worry about heat sinking again!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/96b3/

A bit more seriously, I also saw some inexpensive hard drive enclosures somewhere recently, and was thinking that using one of those as a DAC case might work well, because there's no pesky drilling or milling the USB plug, and some even have a simple (albeit un- or poorly regulated) power supply to augment the USB, given that every supply on this board is regulated, it might supply some extra current.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #333 of 675
Just chiming in to let Tomb know that my board and parts arrived today.  I plan to add the needed parts to a mouser order this weekend.  Hopefully I can get it up and running in the next few weeks.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #334 of 675
Great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #339 of 675
I'm about a third of the way there... Did all ICs including U9 on the bottom. As always the 0805s are a pain in the arse. A few went flying across the room. Luckily I didn't lose any. I'm always worried about solder bridges for the 0805. Let's hope in the end, I avoid this. I hope to have the board completed tonight.

Forsakenrider -- there is a semi complete mouser order that I posted within the last page or so. It's missing some of the ICs that I already had, the 3.3v and 4.75v regs. It's also missing whatever TomB sent you.

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #340 of 675
Quote:
I'm about a third of the way there... Did all ICs including U9 on the bottom. As always the 0805s are a pain in the arse. A few went flying across the room. Luckily I didn't lose any. I'm always worried about solder bridges for the 0805. Let's hope in the end, I avoid this. I hope to have the board completed tonight.

Forsakenrider -- there is a semi complete mouser order that I posted within the last page or so. It's missing some of the ICs that I already had, the 3.3v and 4.75v regs. It's also missing whatever TomB sent you.

Heck - you've got all the hard stuff done!  Looking good!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #341 of 675
So I just finished this puppy :wink: Sounds quite good. I'll give more of a listen tomorrow before I post more impressions. Had a little hiccup when I first fired it up. My computer wasn't recognizing the DAC but it was getting power. All voltages checked out. I reflowed the USB chip and all is fine. I'm noticing a wierd pulsing noise when the volume is low or if I put music on pause. It's weird it sounds like a puttering noise. It can be softer and then get louder. Perhaps, I need to reflow the DAC chip. Any ideas on what this might be? Anyways, some pics to come tomorrow evening.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #342 of 675
Awesome Mullet! I'll be diving into mine this weekend. Hope you get to the bottom of the 'puttering' noise.

So I just finished this puppy :wink: Sounds quite good. I'll give more of a listen tomorrow before I post more impressions. Had a little hiccup when I first fired it up. My computer wasn't recognizing the DAC but it was getting power. All voltages checked out. I reflowed the USB chip and all is fine. I'm noticing a wierd pulsing noise when the volume is low or if I put music on pause. It's weird it sounds like a puttering noise. It can be softer and then get louder. Perhaps, I need to reflow the DAC chip. Any ideas on what this might be? Anyways, some pics to come tomorrow evening.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #343 of 675
The plot thickens. Still have correct voltages at test points, but now no audio. Using the flood method ie dab a bunch of solder and use a solder wick to clean each pin, I've reflowed both the DAC chip and USB to no avail. There are a couple of reasons this could be happening. After reflowing I cleaned the board with isopropyl alcohol and washed the board with warm water. I thought this would be fine -- apparently not. I might have a bridge somewhere too. With a magnifying glass I don't see anything out of the ordinary though. I'm going to try reflowing again and see if it does the trick. Measurement wise I've also measured the OPA2835 on Vin1±  and Vin2±. I get .119VDC for all readings. I don't get any readings on Vout1 and Vout2. Do these readings make sense? Also what pins should I be testing on the DAC chip?

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #344 of 675
I'm getting .127VDC out of the DAC for both IoutL± and IoutR±. Also I'm getting the proper supply voltage for the opamp. Weird. Maybe my DAC chip is borked.

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #345 of 675
Leave the board overnite to dry might be a first thing I would do.

I do not remember what the voltages would so at the output of the DAC. They are a function of the fact that the DAC is current output + the I/V resistors.

Are you measuring with music or without?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back