My DIY electrostatic headphones
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #3,798 of 4,061
I've been listening with my new headphones for a while now. I can confirm that they sound really good. I like them even better than my Orpheus and Omega clones. They are very light and comfortable to wear. I highly recommend you guys to build. If there is any questions, I'm always here to help. :)

87E01820-41AC-4C79-8EC6-E77119CB1FD4.jpg

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #3,799 of 4,061
When you say you like them more than your other headphones, is that strictly referring to sound quality, or is it the overall experience. If it is the latter, which ones are still your favorite for pure sound quality?

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,800 of 4,061
When you say you like them more than your other headphones, is that strictly referring to sound quality, or is it the overall experience. If it wb babyis the latter, which ones are still your favorite for pure sound quality?
Who hates his own baby??

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #3,801 of 4,061
Who hates his own baby??

I think you found a glitch in the matrix there. That's not what my post says.

Here is a copy and paste of my post.

When you say you like them more than your other headphones, is that strictly referring to sound quality, or is it the overall experience. If it is the latter, which ones are still your favorite for pure sound quality?

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #3,802 of 4,061
The best thing I like is the comfort. The weight is very light and there is no clamping force. I can wear them for hours without feeling tired. The sound quality is very impressive. I feel that there is enough deep bass. By the way, if you want, you can make a pair of sealed ear pads for them. And I’m sure that the bass will improve a little more.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #3,806 of 4,061
I think you have to do some support for the mesh, maybe from fr4? But there will be definitely problem with flatness.

Can I ask what mesh is that?

According to the seller, it's 80 mesh. About the back support, I will go with acrylic just like what Stax uses with its original Omega. I have a laser cutter and so cutting acrylic isn't a problem at all.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #3,810 of 4,061
Seeing that Stax has come out with a pair new headphones with mesh stators, I really like to give it a try. But how can I stretch the wire mesh so that it’s absolutely tight and flat?

3173AFD1-BDF4-4835-8E1B-859323EC76BF.jpg
I guess you can stretch it the same way as the membrane with bicycle tube and then solder to a FR4 ring. If you use a double sided 0.5-0.6 mm copper clad laminate, you can use it for spacer and stator at the same time. Still I'm afraid there are going to be vibrations of the mesh, which will lead to peaks and dips in the FR. The 31% open space also is a bit too small (but louder!!). Since Stax made it, they have definitely found a way to overcome all these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back