My Experiences with Earbuds, after a lifetime with full-headphones! HELP!!
Nov 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stevemitchell

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks- I'm distressed.

I thought I had a good ear for audio.  I've been using headphones for 40 years, and haven't blown my eardrums to smithereens in the process.  My latest full-headphone is the Sennheiser HD-800, and I LOVE them, just like I did my HD-650's, and the HD-600's, and originally, years ago, HD-414's.

Recently, I've discovered the joys of TRULY portable music.  My equipment started with an HTC-Incredible, Etymotic ER-4P's, and I was in love.

I soon realized that the volumes I was getting on the Etymotics with the Incredible weren't exactly stellar, so I followed the advice here and purchased a Corda Headsix, and WOW!  What a difference!

Of course, eventually, I wanted better, so I purchased another Meier Amp, the Stepdance. 

OK, I'm really doing well in the sound department.

Current setup as of 11.01.10: Stepdance, with Etymotics and the Comply P-Series Standard Foam Tips, which are the most comfy.

Constantly reading reviews as I am, I'm always interested in trying something new. (Just so you know, I purchased my original Etymotics because the top-rated ATH-CK10's weren't really available, and least in the US.)  Soon I became convinced that the ATH-CK10's were the ones I had to have, so I ordered them from AccessoryJack in Hong Kong.  

Yay?

Today, 11/16, I received them after 16 days of waiting.

OK. I'm shocked.

These things are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bright!!  I'm running the EQ on PowerAmp for my Android/Incredible - @ 12db on the top three octaves.  I never expected this. Is this normal?  Really?

I've tried to be as accurate as I can in describing the sequence of events, leading up to owning a pair of ATH-CK10's. 

My first impression?  

YUCK!!

What I'm looking for from the very learned folks here is some insight into how does one get used to something that he thinks doesn't sound as good as what he had before.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, then I will get rid of these CK10's in a HEARTBEAT for CHEAP.

I just want to make sure that I've not overlooked anything thing that could diminish the sound of these TOP-RATED earbuds.

Please, I'm a NEWBIE when it comes to earbuds, so I'm all ears to the pros here.

Steve

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 5
If you still have the ER4P, I'll suggest you get an P-to-S adapter from eBay first, just to try it out. It is relatively cheap investment at less than $20 on most offering (check out eBay seller AWWAN). It will transform what you thought ER4P can sound like.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 5
I second ClieOS suggestion.  It's cheap and if it gets the sound you want, that's very effective value and should bring the ER4P to analytical levels of the ER4S.  I concur with the CK10, it one of the shortest owned IEM to date, I sold them after two days due to them being overly bright and very finicky with ear tip adjustments.  The person whom I sold the CK10 responded identically. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Wow! What difference a day makes. Nah, not from breaking-in, but from proper ear tips.

In my panic yesterday, I had some Comply T-200's over-night'd. Got them about two-hours ago. Wow, what a difference!

With the default ear tips, these CK10's were headin for the sellin block. Even with the T-200's, they're still overly bright, but not horrifically so.

I've been able to diminish the high-octave cuts from -12 to -6 or so dB.

Eartips - who'd a thunk it - someone with more experience than me.

Thanks for all the good advice. I did indeed order the impedance device from Awwan for my Etymotics.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back