My IE-80 Impressions
Mar 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pclov3r

100+ Head-Fier
So won these as a prize. Looking at the box and IEM's they are real and not fake. 

Sound quality wise it's quite impressive that IEM's can produce this kind of sound. I though IEM's would suck regardless of how much you spent on them due to the size. These proved me wrong.

An AKG K550 is my reference point here.

My IE-80's are NOT burned in yet. I will update this review once I have done so.

I am using the large foam tips.

Sound Quality:

Bass seems good. I haven't tired the tuning function in depth much. However, I can see why to some it can be overpowering.

Mid's seem recessed on the IE-80's to me 

Did you have this problem?

High's seem good for IEM's however, it has a dark sound to me overall.

Also, People said how good the sound stage is. I cant seem to notice it that much. I can tell it's there but my K550's smash it in terms of sound stage.  

Complaints:

For a product that costs $400 I felt the the plug should be gold plated. 

The case should have allowed more room for the excess cable that you wind up. This can make it hard to close the case. Do you have this problem if you use the case? 

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 6
I got my IE80s less than 2 weeks ago and let me tell you the sound signature changed a lot. I sued to leave them running over night for 2-3 days to speed up the burn in process and I am glad I did.

First impressions were a bit disappointing as the mids were really recessed and the highs seemed to tail off quite early in the range. 30+ hours of loud burn in later and all those problems are gone. Bass is silky smooth all the way down mids have now came out and demand presence. Guitars have bite, vocals have strength and the highs while being a little quiet are smooth with no harsh overtones or simbilance 

I will say these headphones reward you with time :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 6
I am going to burn in my IE-80's a bit more and try some different audio sources.

My K550s at the point smash the IE-80's in terms of sound stage. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 6
The soundstage is a strange one. I find it to a subtle but wide soundstage. You almost have to listen out for it as it doesnt make it really apparent how wide it is.

The only other high end headphones are both over ears so its not really a fair comparison

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 6
Burn in does help these IEM's!

I can tell the soundstage during burn in has got ALOT better. 

I'll update my review when I do a full burn in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back