My new/used/vintage DT990s are arriving! Portable amp possible? please recommend
Jul 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

amsleeping

New Head-Fier
Hi the title states it all. I recently found a vintage dt990 600ohm and a hd595 for relatively cheap over the internet (needs some sprucing up) 
I decided to bite the bullet and add it to my collection regardless.

This is my first high impedance over ear headphones and im very excited!

Back to the question... yes...
Are there any possible ways to use this portably? (I have a classic ipod/ipad and android phone)

Portable in the sense that i can at least move around in the house or take it on train rides occasionally.

I currently only have the Fiio E5 (for my IEMs).

Theres a similar thread below but i dont have the know how or skills to make my own amp

In terms of budget, I'd say around 100 pounds would be ideal, (will go beyond budget if really worth it...)

Please dont laugh at me for asking but will the E17 fare okay?

Thanks again!

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi the title states it all. I recently found a vintage dt990 600ohm and a hd595 for relatively cheap over the internet (needs some sprucing up) 
I decided to bite the bullet and add it to my collection regardless.

This is my first high impedance over ear headphones and im very excited!

Back to the question... yes...
Are there any possible ways to use this portably? (I have a classic ipod/ipad and android phone)

Portable in the sense that i can at least move around in the house or take it on train rides occasionally.

I currently only have the Fiio E5 (for my IEMs).

Theres a similar thread below but i dont have the know how or skills to make my own amp

In terms of budget, I'd say around 100 pounds would be ideal, (will go beyond budget if really worth it...)

Please dont laugh at me for asking but will the E17 fare okay?

Thanks again!

You can do anything you want but how good it is changes, it seems the DT990 600 ohm is semi open to open. Probably open. You can use it around the house but not on the train or elsewhere if you do not want to annoy the heck out of everyone, have musical tastes you don't want people hearing, get annoyed at people talking when you listen to music.

A higher impendence doesn't always mean harder to drive and I have no idea what "vintage" even means as in if it's different but if its this one
http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-Premium-600-Headphones/dp/B0024NK34O

Then I remember that it does take some muscle to drive, better off not taking it out and using it with a desktop amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613615/help-need-a-good-amp-for-dt990-600
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591897/decent-amp-for-dt990-600-on-a-budget

Do some googling would be awesome, Matt says the E17 is enough but I'm not sure if he tried it personally, I've had or heard a few members say the E17 is just enough forthe 250 ohm and others say different.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 5
thank you for your reply!

sorry about that... the DT990s are the old 1988 models that apparently needs a decent amp to sound good.
After further searching around, it seems very unlikely to do this portably.

I will wait for it to arrive, and find a place to try it with some amps.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
thank you for your reply!

sorry about that... the DT990s are the old 1988 models that apparently needs a decent amp to sound good.
After further searching around, it seems very unlikely to do this portably.

I will wait for it to arrive, and find a place to try it with some amps.

Try looking up people or threads that are on the vintage ones and desktop amps that synergize and work well with it. Some recommend Tube.

But considering it's an old hard to drive one.. $100 Euro may not be enough to sound good. See if you can buy used, see if a Tube amp is recommended or solid state("regular") 

Yeah, finding a place and doing personal stuff is best. And don't do it when you are sleeping  
wink_face.gif
*looks at username*

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 5
I got both the hd595 and the 1988 make of the dt990 today

and blardy hell.. the old dt990 (initially covered with dust, hair and deadskin) blew away the hd595 in my opinion... in terms of clarity of instruments and vocals.

im gonna go experiment some more. disappointed with the hd595 overall... better soundstage and comfort but thats it so far.

both tested briefly from my android phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back