My Sad Story. To Hifiman.
Nov 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

psgarcha92

100+ Head-Fier
UPDATE: Got my replacement unit from hifiman a few days back.....! (The lovely folks at hifiman are awesome)

This is from a fellow head-fier, and a college student.

Please note that these rants are addressed to the respective manufacturer. I understand that there are things like manufacturing faults, and basic wear and tear happens. But this is some typical stuff that has gone wrong with me over the years. Apart from that, Hifiman has given us IEMs that i have loved. I have nothing against them, else than in the parts quality department.

Through the years i have worked with earphones, i have gained some knowledge regarding how to repair them. Generally when earphones fail, its the cable that is at fault. It is a common problem where people have their cables broken at the Stereo Plug. A little less common is a joint broken inside the housing where the cable is soldered to the IEM speaker. The most uncommon though, is the voice coil of the IEM breaking from where it is connected to the PCB, to which the cable is soldered. I would have clicked pictures, but i have no camera good enough to show the details.

My first earphones were the Hifiman RE0s. third day of use, the third day, the cable had broken. Usually third day is the one where yor are absolutely in love with the RE0s. I called up the seller and he told me he had no RE0s left, other than a pair of RE-ZERO. I thought to myself, how different can they be? They were quite different when compared to the RE0s, but both the pairs were complementary. Owning the ZEROs did not give me the satisfaction of RE0s. The clarity on the 0s was excellent. Detail retrieval upto the mark, i was sure i had heard one really special IEM. one year into owning the RE-ZEROs, i went forward and brought a pair of used RE0s. This time they failed in a month. lucky for me, i had warranty left. So there i was, spending 25USD to send my IEMs back all the way to Hifiman. Got them replaced. After that i used the IEMs for an year or so, not more than that. RE-ZERO gave me the best cable experience. The RE0 cable became stiff, the housing kept coming off from time to time. Sound wise, it was a pleasure, and i was taking all this bad experience on the name of sound. The RE-ZERO casing too, fell apart alot of times. Humidity in India didnt help it either.

Lets get a little closer to how these earphones died.

One channel went off. The usual approach was to check for cable trouble. I opened the casing of the RE0 after the right one went out. Thought it was a simple cable fault, and i replaced it with another cable. But still, the right earphone was dead. Checking alot with the multimeter, scratching my head alot, i came to the conclusion that the voice coil has broken in between and there is no contact between my cable to the voice coil. Suspicions were proven to be true when i used the soldering iron to carefully remove the hot glue kind of material Hifiman puts on its voice coil connections to the PCB. I found one end of the Voice coil connected to the PCB, the other was nowhere to be found. Let me tell u about the voice coil hifiman uses, it is thinner than your hair. Way thinner. I tried looking for the other end, this operation took an hour, and after finding it, soldered it back to the PCB. But no sound. WHY?? WHY IN THE WORLD ???

Turns out, the voice coil had broken at the little notch where it comes from the diaphragm. RE0s dead. Nothing to do. I have absolutely loved these IEMs. Adored them. It was a whole new world of music these IEMs brought to me. It would be fair to say i cried a little when i lost these.

Just a few days later, the RE-ZEROs i had, failed. This was the time i was in love with the RE0 and RE-ZERO duo. Like these were the best toys i ever had, I was the most caring around them, never tossing them or treating them bad. Then why did the voice coil break off from the PCB? I just cant comprehend.

Fast forward an year. I got myself the RE272s. Second hand pair, in excellent condition. No warranty luck this time. But way more love for these. They sounded natural, as if they were designed according to my preference. These were the best IEMs i ever owned, even though i have owned only a few. They beat the UE Triple Fi10 hands down (to me, the RE272 had the perfect signature, sorry TF10 lovers). So i open them up, thinking what the hell, the cable must be gone. Please note, these had'nt been used for more than 500 hours. The cable quality on these ones was nice. Thick wires used to connect to the PCB. In my head i also had a little fear that said the voice coil might be broken. But i was positive it wasnt the case because they were relatively new, and had been taken care of. 

Fast forward 5 hours to my anguish. The voice coil from the driver had broken off from the PCB. This was an attempt to repair the IEM, and i got very close to it. the wire was too microscopic to handle. it broke on my hands and my IEMs died. There was a 1000 to 1 chance that this could have worked, but it could have. 

What i want to point out is that, this wasnt my failure in repairing the IEMs. This is Hifiman's failure in making IEMs as lovely as is possible, but in the worst way, letting the customer down because of the quality of parts used. This episode of breaking IEMs and me trying to repair them has given me a lot of experience, but Hifiman, i was in love with them when ****ty parts quality took them away from me. 

On top of that, as i mentioned, i am a college going student. It takes months to save money to buy these to be so disappointing at the end. There has been an astounding amount of money spent by me in IEMs of your brand. I expected atleast the Flagship 272s to work better than the others. Its just plain unacceptable. 

Please fix this Dr Fang. You have given us absolutely the best IEMs in terms of sound quality, but this parts quality has just been horrible. And it hasnt been just once or twice, but thrice. It is totally unacceptable at this level.

Regards

EDIT: The voice coils Hifiman uses, have to be very thin, to keep the weight of the Diaphragm with the voice coil very small. But, however thin the wire might be, it should not be breaking off on its own. In the above post, i am not complaining about the thinness of the wire, but only about it breaking on its own. 

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 13
bump... 

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 13
the comforting tot is that u know wat went wrong...
biggrin.gif

my fav can just died...i am totally clueless n cant blame any manufacturer but my S-lark.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 13
Its not so comforting, when the sound you prefer is covered by one particular Manufacturer and you already have had three products that did not really shine in the parts quality department....It is ont of the least repairable components of the IEM that is failing. The bad thing is, i can actually not do anything to cause this kind of damage to the speaker. Normal handling of earphones does not cause the voice coil to break off like that.

Regards 

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Too bad to hear, really makes you wonder why things like detachable cables aren't standard on 150+ IEMs.. on a side note though, my re0s have been abused for over 3.5 years and are the only ones that have survived. a miracle, as these are my go-to IEMs for rain, snow, beach, pool, gym, etc. I've had IEMs fail on me that i cared more/better for in all fairness!

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 13
To be fair; it's not just HiFiMAN that uses thinner than hair voice coils. When you need a balance of weight vs magnetic induction you can't just throw any thickness of copper wire in there.
Further more the case for tiny drivers in IEMs.

As a general note... Don't try to touch or fiddle with the voice coils! :/ The hot glue stuff is there for a reason... It'll likely break with any human intervention. Next time you want to check for a break in the voice coil leads, use a magnifier under a work lamp.

Not quite sure what caused all these driver failures, but I know the Re0 was sort of known for various failure options be it cable or drivers that just spontaneously die. Mine survived alright but I didn't keep them long enough to know.

D:
That sucks really hard though...

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Hopefully Hifiman will step up the quality of manufacturing and materials to match their sound quality and solid customer service.  I still recommend the RE-400.  For $99 the sonics are superb.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 13
My monoprice is burning in nicely...the depth of sound n textured bass..
Great for classicals.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 13
@kalbee, i was not complaining about the voice coil that hifiman has to use. it can totally be thin, as it has to be used that way coz of the weight thing, but it also shouldn't be that it break on its own. Me fiddling with the voice coil did not break it. It had been broken already. Also, the hot glue protects the coil, so you cant see the voice coil until you have removed the hot glue. 

Once you have ruled out the cable as the culprit, the voice coil is more or less the only thing that can be broken in an IEM.

Right about the RE0. But the RE0 cost the customer some 99USD at the end of its life. The RE272 on the other hand, has been a Flagship. For me, though its not ok that an earphone fails like the RE0, but because the RE272 is a Flagship, i really did not think it will share this kind of a problem with the RE0 and ZERO.

Please note: The voice coil has to be thin, and i totally understand that,. and that is not a negative point. They have to use it to keep the weight of the Coil and the diaphragm very very less. But in any case, the voice coil should not break off on its own.

@Deviltooth, Sound quality, Sonics, are actually what we go for. And we are happy with hifiman there. But am not pretty sure that if i buy a RE400 or a RE600, they wont fail on me like the RE272 did. Over that. RE600 doesnt share the treble performance with RE272. Which is a huge let down. I loved the level of detail and the treble and bass amount on the RE272, just the perfect amount. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 13
Hey Guys,

I received a replacement unit from hifiman a few days back. They replaced my IEMs even though i had voided my warranty. 

Thanks Hifiman!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back