My Very First Cans - HD600 (with HD650 cables) vs. HD650
Apr 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Wavy Gravy

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

I've just recently become interested in the wide world of high-end audio equipment, and the wise men (and women) of this forum have been my teachers every step of the way.  Numerous late nights have been spent tattooing this website on my retinas.  I've now decided to take the plunge into headphone territory, and who better to ask for help?

I'm very interested in the HD600's with, as many have professed their love for, the addition of the HD650 cables.  However, one thing has stuck out in my reading: it seems as though some features of this upgrade (improved bass, etc.) bring the HD600's closer to the HD650's.  So, would it be worth it to simply pick up the HD650's outright, instead of the HD600's with the cable upgrade?  Are they all-that-much different in this case?  Will the HD600's retain their renowned neutral quality, or become more akin to the more coloured HD650's?

Again, I am fairly new to this, so feel free to interject with more accurate info if need be.

Thank you all so much!

Side note: I will be using these for mostly rock and some classical music.

P.S. I'm considering the JDS Labs Objective2 + ODAC to power either set for computer use.  Would you all consider this to be a good choice?

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 16
Totally up to you.  I always preferred my HD600 over the HD650, though I suppose that's more sentimental value than anything else (it was also my first high end headphone, I got the 650 later).  The headphones are slightly different, but they are much much more similar than they are different.  Personally, I see it as a win either way.

Best regards,

-Jason

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the reply.  Do you think the cord upgrade still provides a neutral quality to them, or are they even closer to the HD650's with it?  In which case, it may be better to pick up the HD650's from the start...

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Keep in mind that amping either one is fairly important I had the 600 for years and rarely used them because they sounded flat and lifeless without a proper amp. I got a Shiit Magni and it made a massive difference

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 16
The difference is that HD600 is beautifully neutral and HD650 is wonderfully rich. So that's what you'd be choosing between.

The HD650 cable won't make HD600 sound like HD650 (or any other model). The stock cable is fine, but the replacement is more durable. I like the Cardas sound but they're ugly.

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 16
I wish I could compare the two - all the audio stores around here (Toronto) seem to have both the HD600 and the HD650 available only by order.

Regardless, the HD600's with the upgraded HD650 cable (or, if I sell my kidney, the Cardas cable) seems to be the winner.

Does anyone know much about the JDS Labs Objective2+ODAC, and if it would be a good match with these cans?

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 16
  I wish I could compare the two - all the audio stores around here (Toronto) seem to have both the HD600 and the HD650 available only by order.

Regardless, the HD600's with the upgraded HD650 cable (or, if I sell my kidney, the Cardas cable) seems to be the winner.

Does anyone know much about the JDS Labs Objective2+ODAC, and if it would be a good match with these cans?

It definitely would. The Limited Edition is easier to use because the power and inputs are on the back.

I had JDS set mine to the lowest gain setting because I listen at lower volumes.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 16
I think it's significant, certainly to the point that I enjoy one and don't enjoy the other. On HD650, it's not a slamming bass but it certainly makes the overall sound darker.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 16
i had the hd600...it served as a "neutral" marker to my ears then....
then i sold it n bought the hd650 just to hear what the fuss was about,
like what Claritas described beautifully..."HD600 is beautifully neutral and HD650 is wonderfully rich"

Then i added a silver plated copper to my hd650....
and named it a hd600 on steroids :p
(what i really wanted is a hd600 but with a biggerbass, and a lusher mids, without the sound being too wonderfully rich..for classicals n vocals )
There is no rush, u can try out all the variations, cables, amps, tube amps..its a long interesting journey. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 16
Would you say that it's worth it to purchase a Cardas cable for the HD600's, rather than the HD650 cable?  Is it money well spent?

Only if you have everything else taken care of first (good format, source, and amp). The difference isn't so great that it's worth diverting funds from more essential purchases.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 16
(Opening a can of worms) cables don't actually do anything to the sound. so if you want to make it more similar to 650 I suggest modding it in other ways. I believe I saw a thread almost exactly about that the other day.

Here's a guide to modding 600s http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 16
(Opening a can of worms) cables don't actually do anything to the sound. so if you want to make it more similar to 650 I suggest modding it in other ways. I believe I saw a thread almost exactly about that the other day.

Which cables have you tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back