Nan-6 planar headphone ?
May 14, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #76 of 204
I just saw these on Taobao. They looked... darned interesting. The listing says I shouldn't blind-buy these if I don't have experience with the Susvara or the HE6 (which i don't) but I have some experience with the HD800s, the Audeze line-up and the Arya. For like 450 bucks they seem like a great pair of headphones if it sort of approaches Susvara level, what's holding it back from being a solid recommendation?
You're getting HE-6 technicalities with Susvara tonality, which is not the same as getting a Susvara on the cheap. Soundstage will be notably smaller, fine details won't be quite as delicate, but dynamics should be impressive.

Following on from other comments about amps: you need about 3-4 W to get these working well, because they'll have substantial current demand. Tubes won't help you here.

May 31, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #77 of 204
What pads do these come with? Those default pads look a lot like the Hifiman Focus Pads, are they similar or the same as those?

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #81 of 204
How are the earpads attached? Does it use clips like on Hifimans?

Also, any word on how to get a pair nowadays (from the US)? Seems like the carousel page is on "reserved" which I don't quite know what that means. It also doesn't seem like they ship? It says meet-up but nothing on shipping.

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #82 of 204
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #83 of 204
If the replacement pads are anything to go by on Taobao, then it appears to be velcro. Then again, google translate mentions self-adhesive. 🤷‍♂️

https://www.taobao.com/list/item/652509890520.htm

For a laugh, check out the Nan-1266: https://www.taobao.com/list/item/674266743164.htm
It has to be a troll-listing judging by the amateurish looking traces.
Seems as if the builder may be trying to make a light headphone with the same FR and waterfall plots of the 1266. but I'm basing that off of google translate. I'd be really interested in hearing them if he does that, especially if its not a knock off 1266, just aiming for a similar sound. Below is the google translate quote

"at least there is no bottom, it is estimated that some things will be added and changed. The meaning of the message, I heard that some people say that I can't make a tablet, I don't have the technology, I want to buy a unit. Although Nan7 is very low-key, then we should make it bigger, and it is time to show it off. The 350g 1266 is not big enough to soften some of the characteristics of the abyss 1266 cross and tc versions. At least for now, the curve matches, the waterfall matches, and the sensitivity can be made 75-85 according to demand. Big enough! The only thing that can be black is that the amplitude may not be enough. The abyss 1266 material will cause the amplitude to reach a large level, but it is sure that it is easy to knock the magnet and break the sound. The amplitude of nan1266 will reach a reasonable value after about half a year of use. Changes need to be in units of years. The photo is just a demo of the project, it does not represent the final product. The screws in the picture are just for use. The shell head beam is also borrowed from the shell of nan7. At present, the weight of the whole machine is 366.6, which is enough for 6. It is planned that nan1266 will be made of full carbon fiber plus part Aluminum, some details are not clear, but there are so many points that can be said. 1. Pure gold diaphragm, the diaphragm is 1u. 2. The weight of ear cotton is about 330g. 3. The sensitivity will not be very high, and the positioning will be high-end customers. 4. The price will be very high, because the equipment requirements are not low. 5. Don’t say behind your back that I can’t make things anymore. I’m different from you. I can produce everything by myself, can you? All in all, stay tuned The curves and waterfalls have been released."

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #84 of 204
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on these and I'm looking for a nice pairing. I've checked some threads on driving the HE-6's but they're naturally a bit outdated. Since the headphones is rather cost-effective I'd like to do the same for the DAC and amp. So far I see the Hifiman EF400 which honestly seems a bit overkill, is pricier than the headphones and doesn't have any analog inputs, but at least it'll absolutely run them no questions asked. Then there's the DX7 Pro which I think will run them but are now like almost 3 years old. I also see something like the Topping A30 Pro which is cheaper and readily available used, but of course I'd still need a DAC and I'm not sure how much headroom it'll give me. I know there are similar priced units for S.M.S.L. too.

What would you guys pick for around 300-500 (used)?

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #85 of 204
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on these and I'm looking for a nice pairing. I've checked some threads on driving the HE-6's but they're naturally a bit outdated. Since the headphones is rather cost-effective I'd like to do the same for the DAC and amp. So far I see the Hifiman EF400 which honestly seems a bit overkill, is pricier than the headphones and doesn't have any analog inputs, but at least it'll absolutely run them no questions asked. Then there's the DX7 Pro which I think will run them but are now like almost 3 years old. I also see something like the Topping A30 Pro which is cheaper and readily available used, but of course I'd still need a DAC and I'm not sure how much headroom it'll give me. I know there are similar priced units for S.M.S.L. too.

What would you guys pick for around 300-500 (used)?
Jot 2. Drives my HE6 sev2 pretty well. Mine has the multi bit card but will eventually get a Bifrost 2

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #87 of 204
Unfortunately I’m in Europe and there isn’t a shart of schiit to be had here. What about the Jot 1? I see a few floating around here even though the used price is still pretty darn pricy.
Singxer SA-1, you can see a few of them for sale here. It's way better than the Jot 2 and within the same price range if not cheaper used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back