Natural, rhythmical, punchy! (Planning my next upgrade.)
Mar 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
Hi,
I'm planning my next big headphone purchase, but, sadly, I don't have a good overview on more expensive headphones - I'm thinking about ~ 300€ to 400€.
At the moment I mainly use:

- Ultrasone HFI-780: Used to be my main headphones but nowadays I only use them for TV. I think they're great for movies, but I rarely use them for music anymore.
- Ultrasone Zino: I just love love love the bass! It's strong, deep, fast and punchy. Not boomy! However, the mids are very thin and the highs are fighting with sibilance.
- Panasonic HJE-900: The overall presentation is just amazing! The music just sounds real, voices are spot on. The bass, however, is as good as I'd expect from an IEM, but I think (open) headphones can deliver better!

Equipment:
- Tianyun Zero DAC (will replace it at the end of this year with whatever you recommend)
- iPhone 4 32GB
- probably an iMac in a few weeks

Now, this is what I'm searching for:
I don't need noise cancellation or even any isolation at all. I just moved to a very great and silent apartment and I wouldn't mind hearing my wife talk to me. Closed 'phones are not a negative, though!

Bass: Something like the Zino, please! Fast decay, strong impact, well separated from the mids, far extension to the low frequencies.
I've noticed I'm a rhythmical listener. I can only remember easy melodies, whereas I much enjoy complex rhythms - be it jazzy bass lines, drum tracks or modern beats.
Mids: I don't like male voices and I rarely listen to men sing. The mids can be recessed, I wouldn't care if I'd even notice! However, I really enjoy what the HJE900 can do with female voices. Michael Jackson (ouch, lol!) just has an amazing impact due to the richness and natural sound or timbre. This is a must-have for my next purchase as that's what the HFI-780 lack most!
I think the Panasonics achieve that by being spatial and well separated, yet still putting lots of energy into the overall sound - more than one would expect from an analytical headphone, anyway.
Highs: I like the sparkle of the HFI-780! I don't notice any sibilance; but with the Zino, I do (especially with MP3s). I would prefer sharp highs over flattened highs, but as long as they're clear I'm fine.
Soundstage: I don't need much soundstage as long as the instruments are well separated.

Short version: I want the timbre, musicality and energy of the HJE900 with a faster and punchier bass for home use! Cany any headphone deliver?

Thanks!

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 10
The Denon AH-D2000 might be an option. The bass is incredible and punchy on these, IMO, though this may vary between different sources. Mids can be slightly recessed, but I think they sound fairly balanced. High are very crisp and clear without any sibilance. They're also extremely comfortable.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks,
I read up on the D2000 and it does not seem to be what I'm looking for.
With a punchy bass I don't want the air to 'punch' my eardrums, but more of a punch compared to a push. I'm aiming for a really fast decay with a more audible bass. The Zino doesn't rumble, at all! But I will rule out "strong impact" for further reference...

I was thinking more of the Audéo PFE 121 scaled to full headphone size, maybe.

I also remember reading of the Ultrasone Edition 8 that might just be what I want. Sadly it's exuberantly expensive... for now! :wink:

Edit: What about the Ultrasone Pro 2500?

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 10
Why not Sennheiser HD650? Dianna Krall's songs sound so natural, clear, detailed, transparent. They have great bass extension while I drive them straight from Auzen X-Fi Prelude sound card (the one without dedicated headphones amplifier)

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 10
I actually got a chance to thoroughly try the Ultrasone PRO 750, AH-D2000 and the AKG Q701 on an high-end Accuphase amp. Sadly, I didn't bring my own music.

I immediately ditched the PRO 750 as it had the same thin mids as the HFI-780. Bass might have been deeper, more detailed and better controlled but it might have been due to the SACD and better equipment.Yet it was still not enough for me to even consider the upgrade.

Now, the Denon just looks and feels amazing! That is an almost perfect design! I love the feel of the cups, the headband, the leather ear pads, the cord, ... everything!
Sadly, I didn't even have to compare to notice how V-shaped its sound signature is. Bass quantity is at the maximum I will allow for home use, I'd even prefer less boom. The highs were also very sharp and too loud compared to the mids.
I noticed that, despite the rich sound, male voices were slightly flat and hollow. Much better than with the HFI-780, though, but at 400 € I'd expect higher-end. :wink:

Now to the surprise that still left me wondering all night: I usually hate AKG, I dislike the looks and I can't understand neither their marketing nor their weird choice of colors for the Q series.
However, I was really really impressed with the Q701! I did not find the bass to be lacking at all and I'd actually prefer it over the Denon. To my ears, it was punchy and extremely precise. The mids weren't recessed and even though the highs were far extended, they were never sharp or annoying.
The overall sound was engaging, laid back and silky smooth with a relaxing warmth. I might be growing older, but this is what I'd consider the next level.

The seller didn't have any Sennheisers on display, but he also recommended me to take a look at the HD 650 (which he thought might be to bassy for me, though). I'm now looking out for the Sennheiser and also a high quality Beyerdynamic. Which one would you recommend? The DT 880 or DT 990?
Audio Technica and Grado are impossible to find in Germany. I might be lucky on my next trip to China, though.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 10
You'll find too much bass in the DT990' also, they really give a lot.
DT880 could be a good one for you

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 10
I personally don't think so, Pro.

The DT990 has faster decay and punchier bass than my D7000 which is known to be more refined and less bassy than the D2000.

The DT990 sounds like it'd suit OP's taste quite well. The treble is sharp and clear, though people complain about it being too sharp. I personally felt it was borderline between perfectly sharp and too sharp. If you listen LOUD, they might tend to be a bit over edge. As far as bass and mids go, zero complaints here. I'd give them a shot. I loved them, and miss them terribly, as I could've used them as my open compliment to the D7000, though now I'm looking elsewhere (I love trying something new, even if I loved a headphone in the past).

edit: I didn't see that he liked the Q701 and thought they were laid back. I dunno how close in sound they are to the K701, but I don't find the K701 laid back whatsoever. Borderline on too mid and treble rich, with a drop in bass.

Perhaps Proglover IS right, and the DT880 would suit you better than the DT990.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 10
Could be, but he didn't find X70X bass lacking. In quantity terms it's a very big step in bass from that to DT990.

But yes, I loved the DT990's also, didn't find them too trebly, maybe a tiny bit too thin in some regions. But it's a great headphone, although I couldn't imagine I'd use it a lot with D7000's around

edit: hehe, you saw it yourself

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 10
Dude, you're on a roll with your cans. XD

BTW, you never told me what you thought of the KSC75, I don't think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back