Neck issues preventing headphone bliss
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dcguy73

Formerly known as dc_guy
Long-time forum member here. Recently turned the big 5-0, and I’m feeling it.

For the past year, I’ve had neck issues that have prevented me from enjoying my headphones. TLDR; I have advanced scoliosis and several bulging discs in my neck. The doctors recommended fusion surgery, but I said no thanks. I did a round of physical therapy that helped a bit, but didn’t keep up with it in the long-term due to conflicts with work hours.

I have put a lot of $$ into this hobby, including buying TOTL stuff like Susvara and accompanying audiophile gear. However, I can’t really use most of it anymore. It is really frustrating that I can’t wear any headphone heavier than a Sennheiser HD660Sv2 without neck pain. So no Susvara, no Meze, nothing with wood cups, and definitely Audeze is off the table.

I have the option of talking to my employer about working physical therapy into my daily schedule again to regain strength and endurance in my neck, but my scoliosis and slipped discs are never going to be “cured,” so I’d have to commit to keep doing PT for the rest of my headphone days.

I’m not a lover of IEMs, unfortunately. I have purchased a few, but never really got into them very much because they never gave me the same joy as over-the-ear headphones.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Did you decide to sell your gear, do physical therapy, or something else?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 9
While not as extreme as your case, I too have neck issues that prevent me from using heavier headphones. In my case it's forward head posture and cervical kyphosis. Wearing heavier headphones causes nightmare headaches for me (with great regret, I had to sell my LCD-3 and LCD-2C for this reason), and that's in addition to any headaches already caused by tight sub-occipital muscles.

My physical therapist suggested that I wear heavier headphones while lying down on my back, so the weight doesn't bear down on my neck. If you have a DAP that can power those heavier headphones (or a sufficiently long cable) you could try that. It's the only way I can use my Atticus.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 9
I've had a lot of headphones that I liked but we're just too heavy or uncomfortable to live with. The best IEMs I've heard are the Sennheiser IE600 I currently have. I've had every Hifiman up to the Arya, and the IE600 is so good you won't miss much. I wouldn't trade the for the he6se or Arya, but never tried the Susvara so can't compare to them.
The Audio Technica adh1000x is light as a kite and the best female vocals I've heard. I'd get into high end IEMs, so light and technology has come so far for the mid to high end ones.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing, so maybe this is a stupid idea...

Could you use something like a cushion or neck pillow to help support the headphones? I'm imagining sitting on something like a recliner or lounge chair, where you're only semi-reclined, then the cushion/neck pillow could take a good amount of the weight of the headphones.

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 9
I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing, so maybe this is a stupid idea...

Could you use something like a cushion or neck pillow to help support the headphones? I'm imagining sitting on something like a recliner or lounge chair, where you're only semi-reclined, then the cushion/neck pillow could take a good amount of the weight of the headphones.
I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried listening to headphones on a recliner with a neck pillow, but I still experience some discomfort. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 9
I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried listening to headphones on a recliner with a neck pillow, but I still experience some discomfort. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Well, you know what works for you better than I do. Maybe try a different pillow or recline angle? Like I said, I have no experience with this, just an idea.

Jun 9, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Long-time forum member here. Recently turned the big 5-0, and I’m feeling it.

For the past year, I’ve had neck issues that have prevented me from enjoying my headphones. TLDR; I have advanced scoliosis and several bulging discs in my neck. The doctors recommended fusion surgery, but I said no thanks. I did a round of physical therapy that helped a bit, but didn’t keep up with it in the long-term due to conflicts with work hours.

I have put a lot of $$ into this hobby, including buying TOTL stuff like Susvara and accompanying audiophile gear. However, I can’t really use most of it anymore. It is really frustrating that I can’t wear any headphone heavier than a Sennheiser HD660Sv2 without neck pain. So no Susvara, no Meze, nothing with wood cups, and definitely Audeze is off the table.

I have the option of talking to my employer about working physical therapy into my daily schedule again to regain strength and endurance in my neck, but my scoliosis and slipped discs are never going to be “cured,” so I’d have to commit to keep doing PT for the rest of my headphone days.

I’m not a lover of IEMs, unfortunately. I have purchased a few, but never really got into them very much because they never gave me the same joy as over-the-ear headphones.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Did you decide to sell your gear, do physical therapy, or something else?

Thanks.

Would you be open to considering earbuds? They are akin to open backed headphones in providing superior soundstage to IEMs, just without a seal/isolation.

1685857091734.png

Photo A - earbuds - transducer does not seal or enter the external ear canal
Photo B - IEMs

Earbuds are much lighter and smaller in profile than headphones. They can give almost similar amounts of imaging and soundstage and micro-details, and earbuds are also generally much cheaper - $10 is budget for earbuds, $50 is midFI and $100+ can get you TOTL earbud quality.

There's a big earbuds thread here on Headfi: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/
And the folks are quite friendly there should you wanna visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back