Need a cheap portable amp for my smartphone / pc. help please .
Oct 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ztyx

New Head-Fier
Hey HF

Ive just ordered my first pair of decent headphones (a FA-003 clone), and was wondering about getting an amp for those headphones. Ill be using the phones with my PC and my android phone, not the strongest sources, and occasionally my NAD surround receiver. Ive been reading alot but cant quite figure out what to get. I was thinking about something like 50$, if its even possible to get something that will improve the SQ of my android-phone/pc..
Something about the android (samsung galaxy s2) not being able to put out sound through USB, and therefor just amping a crap output anyway ?? well you guys will hopefully guide me in the right direction or kick me down for asking for something not even possible ..

Best regards.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hey HF

Ive just ordered my first pair of decent headphones (a FA-003 clone), and was wondering about getting an amp for those headphones. Ill be using the phones with my PC and my android phone, not the strongest sources, and occasionally my NAD surround receiver. Ive been reading alot but cant quite figure out what to get. I was thinking about something like 50$, if its even possible to get something that will improve the SQ of my android-phone/pc..
Something about the android (samsung galaxy s2) not being able to put out sound through USB, and therefor just amping a crap output anyway ?? well you guys will hopefully guide me in the right direction or kick me down for asking for something not even possible ..

Best regards.

I think the Fischer Audio FA003, Brainwavz HM5, Jaycar headphones are around 70-Ohm

For your PC, the Asus Xonar DG sound card, $26.
You might be able to just plug the FA-003 straight into the android phone.
Or maybe get the Fiio E6, $30.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply PurbleAngel

Was thinking about upgrading my android (my portable source) to a samsung galaxy s3 or note 2.. Ive read the s3 and note 2 do support USB audio, but was wondering if the DAC in those are good enough to just get an amp ?? Then i think i would get an E11 first and then upgrade my PC soundcard after that.. that way ill have a decent DAC on my desktop rig and my portable aswell.. do that make sense or is it a bad decission ?? The reason ive kinda stepped away from the E6 is all those reviews speaking of distortion and changing of the frequency bands and being anything but flat.

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks for the reply PurbleAngel

Was thinking about upgrading my android (my portable source) to a samsung galaxy s3 or note 2.. Ive read the s3 and note 2 do support USB audio, but was wondering if the DAC in those are good enough to just get an amp ?? Then i think i would get an E11 first and then upgrade my PC sound card after that.. that way ill have a decent DAC on my desktop rig and my portable as well.. do that make sense or is it a bad decission ?? The reason i've kinda stepped away from the E6 is all those reviews speaking of distortion and changing of the frequency bands and being anything but flat.

I do like my Fiio E11, look for the Micca package, comes with a spare battery and simple AC powered battery recharger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back