Need advice on buying new headphones
Jan 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

K3Ls0

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new here and I desperately need help.

Today my mate broke the only pair of headphones I ever head: my Beats Solo. Yes I know, not the best headphones ever but they were a present 3 years ago I didn't feel like throwing them in the bin to buy something else. They were not too bad, the quality was ok (nice bass), they were extremely portable, decent noise isolation but they were not very comfortable, especially after 1h+.

Now, since my Solos broke I want to buy new headphones and after looking at forums/articles/reviews I still can't see what product(s) would be most appropriate for my needs.

- I listen to almost every type of music, my library is full of pop/rock but also electronic and dance.
- I play most of my music through my Macbook Pro (2009 model), iPhone 3G and iPod Video (2004). 
- Almost every song I play is in mp3, usually v0 or 320 Kbps. Occasionally some AAC or lower quality mp3s.
- I watch MANY movies on my laptop so I would like to buy some headphones that are good for watching movies (almost every genre, usually 720p quality with AC3 or DTS audio).

I started looking at some models from Sennheiser, like the HD598 and the 558 but they do not seem very appropriate for someone who uses iPods and Laptops as they have a very long cable, need jack adaptor and in general they seems suitable for very high-end systems. Also, due to their design, they let a lot of the sound out, which is not something I like.

I can spend up to 200-250$ and I'm looking for something that can satisfy most of my needs with great quality (many various types of music and movies), feel comfortable on my head but also work fine when jacked to a Macbook, iPod, etc. (so not too big, with very long cables, very fragile, etc.).

You guys are the only ones who can really recommend me what is best for me, any help? :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 14
The Beats Solo? Not even the Solo HD's? 
frown.gif

Let's just say you could've sold those for even $50 and gotten something that sounds much, much better.

For $250 you have a lot of options. Assuming you want something easily driven out of an ipod as well as being portable, check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

Right now, refurbished Sennheiser Amperior (updated version of the HD25-1 ii) is on sale for $160 + shipping. I just picked them up myself. You can find them here- http://vminnovations.com/Product_46888/Sennheiser-HD-25-Amperior-DJ-Pro-Monitoring-Headphones-Blue-Refurbished-.html

If you don't want to splurge that much on refurbished, you might check out something like the V-Moda M80/M100. I can't really recommend either one because you haven't described your music preferences.

Happy MLK Day,

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 14
The Sennheiser 419 @ $60 is a decent bass-head can.  The bass can be a tad much for some.

For something super portable the Sennheiser PX200 II is a great option.  It rings in at $90.
Review here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-px-200-ii-headphone-and-px-200-iii-headset-2

The Philips Cityscape Downtown is another good sounding portable that can be found for under $60.  They are on-ear but sound awesome and actually seal pretty well.  I picked up a pair to audition and was pleasantly surprised in both the sound and build quality.
Review here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-citiscape-downtown

I have purposely left out more expensive headphones with the idea that you may break them again and having the highest sound quality for a low price is a must.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
If you don't want to splurge that much on refurbished, you might check out something like the V-Moda M80/M100. I can't really recommend either one because you haven't described your music preferences.

Happy MLK Day,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't described my music preferences much because as I said I listen to a lot of different stuff, from rock/pop to electronic and rap.

More suggestions are very appreciated, thanks :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

I can't really recommend either one because you haven't described your music preferences.

He said "pop, rock, electronic, dance" 
biggrin.gif

There are a ton of options in your price range, a balanced headphone would probably good for your preferences.

audio technica a900x
beyerdynamics dt 770/880 or custom one pro
akg k550/q701
Senn hd598
mr speakers mad dog

Are all good headphones that would probably work for you, the a900x is my favorite of those listed, it's an excellent headphone across the board but the fit isn't for everyone. The best thing to do is try to audition what you can and pick the sound you like.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I have purposely left out more expensive headphones with the idea that you may break them again and having the highest sound quality for a low price is a must.

Please feel free to suggest also more expensive headphones (up to 200-250$). As I mentioned in the first post, I didn't break them, a friend of mine did so I really doubt it's gonna happen again.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 14
I would get the Ultrasone PRO 750, which are really well known for their bass. If you think the Beats had good bass, just wait till you hear these. 
wink.gif
Perfect for any kind of electronic and hip hop, but not so overwhelming that it gets in the way. The aggressive sound is great for rock, too. I've had a few Ultrasone and comfort has never been an issue.

I've also heard great things about the Mad Dogs.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
He said "pop, rock, electronic, dance" 
biggrin.gif

There are a ton of options in your price range, a balanced headphone would probably good for your preferences.

audio technica a900x
beyerdynamics dt 770/880 or custom one pro
akg k550/q701
Senn hd598
mr speakers mad dog

Are all good headphones that would probably work for you, the a900x is my favorite of those listed, it's an excellent headphone across the board but the fit isn't for everyone. The best thing to do is try to audition what you can and pick the sound you like.

Ah I must've missed that about about pop/rock/dance. But even if the OP listens to a wide variety of music as he claims to do, personal preference will largely determine whether he likes neutral cans. I know a lot of people that, despite having broad tastes, still want a good heft to the bass or whatnot, even listening to classical/acoustic/jazz sort of stuff. And coming from Beats, I have a feeling bass-light headphones like the Q701 or HD598 will be too far a departure from what he's used to.

The OP is also looking for portability as well, which is why I suggested the Amperior. The Custom One Pro is a good recommendation. I'll also throw in the Audio-Technica ESW9/Beyerdynamic DT1350.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 14
Jan 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm new here and I desperately need help.

Today my mate broke the only pair of headphones I ever head: my Beats Solo. Yes I know, not the best headphones ever but they were a present 3 years ago I didn't feel like throwing them in the bin to buy something else. They were not too bad, the quality was ok (nice bass), they were extremely portable, decent noise isolation but they were not very comfortable, especially after 1h+.

Now, since my Solos broke I want to buy new headphones and after looking at forums/articles/reviews I still can't see what product(s) would be most appropriate for my needs.

- I listen to almost every type of music, my library is full of pop/rock but also electronic and dance.
- I play most of my music through my Macbook Pro (2009 model), iPhone 3G and iPod Video (2004). 
- Almost every song I play is in mp3, usually v0 or 320 Kbps. Occasionally some AAC or lower quality mp3s.
- I watch MANY movies on my laptop so I would like to buy some headphones that are good for watching movies (almost every genre, usually 720p quality with AC3 or DTS audio).

I started looking at some models from Sennheiser, like the HD598 and the 558 but they do not seem very appropriate for someone who uses iPods and Laptops as they have a very long cable, need jack adaptor and in general they seems suitable for very high-end systems. Also, due to their design, they let a lot of the sound out, which is not something I like.

I can spend up to 200-250$ and I'm looking for something that can satisfy most of my needs with great quality (many various types of music and movies), feel comfortable on my head but also work fine when jacked to a Macbook, iPod, etc. (so not too big, with very long cables, very fragile, etc.).

You guys are the only ones who can really recommend me what is best for me, any help? :)

Heya,

Look into:

Open Air (neutral to warm):

Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-300
AKG Q701
Beyer DT880 PRO

Open Air (bassy):

Beyer DT990 PRO
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Closed (neutral to warm/bassy):

Beyer DT770 PRO
AudioTechnica A900X
Brainwavz HM5
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
AKG K167

Pair with Fiio E17 to be used with PC and portable devices.

Very best,

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

The Custom One Pro is a good recommendation.

I've looked at many of the headphones you guys suggested and I must say I found these Custom One Pro quite attractive. Any opinion on those?

Are they comfortable for extended periods of times? Are they fine with an iPod/Macbook and to be somewhat carried around, even without a p[size=small]ortable amplifier (which I'm not fond of)?[/size]

I like the design,  the option to change the bass and the fact that they seem quite versatile and balanced so they should do quite well with pretty much everything I throw them, including movies.

Any opinion or recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back